You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-22 20:19:18

jklydon

Ext4 file creation error - install fails

I downloaded the latest 'Lithium' and made an USB installer using Rufus.  I can 'go live' Ok and everything's fine - network, graphics.  But when I try to install, at the point of writing the new partition scheme to the disk, I get 'Ext 4 file creation error'. No changes are written and the install fails. On other occasions, I am prompted about reloading the CD-ROM (there's nothing in it) and install fails at that point.

I've used Crunchbang before but not BL.  I was looking something light and thought of this. For reference, I can install various other distro's using same setup.  Not sure why this is a problem.

#2 2020-10-22 21:58:49

rbh

Re: Ext4 file creation error - install fails

jklydon wrote:

at the point of writing the new partition scheme to the disk, I get 'Ext 4 file creation error'. No changes are written and the install fails. On other occasions, I am prompted about reloading the CD-ROM (there's nothing in it) and install fails at that point.

If you are prompted to reload CD, there is problem to read the usb-drive. The recomendation to write the iso image to usb-disk, under windows, is to use Win32 Disk Imager
It could also be good to try another usb-disk.

When file creation error appear, you can maybe see any error if you change to tty4.

You can create partions from the live session and reboot to installer.

i have newer since starting with Debian linux in the mid 90's encountered the erro 'Ext 4 file creation error' during installation.

After you have created the partitions/filesystem, before installing, do a drive-check.

# fsck -cc /dev/sdxy

checks also for badblocks. Takes some time...

You can run smartctl health check also.

Last edited by rbh (2020-10-22 22:07:58)

// Regards rbh

#3 2020-10-23 08:19:08

ohnonot
...again
Website

jklydon wrote:

I downloaded the latest 'Lithium' and made an USB installer using Rufus.

I agree with the previous poster that you should make sure you are using an accepted USB "burning" method.
IMO the bunsenlabs instructions are too unspecific; from general 3rd-hand experience I can say that Rufus should be OK, but you have to make sure that you ue its "dd mode".
Also check the checksums, obviously.

Search youtube without a brwoser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#4 2020-10-23 13:13:45

sleekmason

MX has an App Image that works very well for burning to usb. It can be found here:
https://mxlinux.org/blog/live-usb-maker … -appimage/

#5 2020-10-27 11:44:39

jklydon

Reseating the USB installer took care of the prompt to reload the CD-ROM, and a manual partitioning took care of the 'Ext 4 file creation error', thank you.  I would've responded earlier, but I was having too much fun with BL, reminding me of the old #! days.

Board footer