You are not logged in.

#76 2020-08-10 15:40:37

brogild

Re: [FINISHED] BunsenLabs Lithium 32 bit Release Candidate iso available

rbh wrote:

There seems to bee some linguistic confusion.
Did you installed gnome-mpv in terminal with command "apt install gnome-mpv"? Did the program not appear on the jgmenu? Can you start it from terminal?

I used the menu option to install gnome-mpv, this didn't work the first time around**, however once I had 'added' the kelaino repository using the commands supplied in this thread, it installed fine (this has been a repeatable experience).
As the kelaino repository is not necessary for install it seems that, like your experience with mhwaveedit, it is a random bug an not connected

Very likely if I had installed using synaptic or apt-get it would have worked fine and it is an issue with the menu entry.

**ETA: this only happens with 32bit version, menu entry worked first time with 64bit.

Last edited by brogild (2020-08-10 17:15:02)

#77 2020-08-10 17:08:56

rbh

brogild wrote:

I used the menu option to install gnome-mpv, this didn't work the first time around**, however once I had 'added' the kelaino repository using the commands supplied in this thread, it installed fine

Just adding the apt-key to the keyring, does not add the repository. To add the repository for keliano, you have to add the adress in an source list. I have not given you any command to add repository source. I have written that you have to edit source list.
The apt-key, is for checking that it is the right source you are using.

As the kelaino repository is not necessary for install

I don't think, you have added the keliano repo. If you page your source, I'm certain it is not there:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen.list 

You can list all sources with:

$ apt-cache policy | more

it seems that, like your experience with mhwaveedit, it is a random bug an not connected

No, on all my machines, physical or vm, 64 or 43 bit, the terminal pops up and disappear when trying to install from the menu. I can install in terminal/synaptic, remove it and the menuinstallation will fail again. I can klick the menu-entry 10 or 100 times and it fails. I can not call that "random"...

// Regards rbh

#78 2020-08-10 17:20:53

brogild

When I say it seems random I mean difficult to locate the cause. Anyway I tried this again with a fresh install, the install gnome-mpv menu entry worked following an update and a reboot, something changed there but it's hard to tell what.

#79 2020-09-08 05:31:39

johnraff
nullglob
Website

johnraff wrote:

Clearly the Lithium netinstall script is not yet ready for use.

All I've updated so far on the "lithium" branch is the package lists.

Sorry, this is going to need a week or two probably - I'm still tied up with getting the CD iso down to 700MB at the moment.  hmm

It took more than a week or two - a lot of other tasks got in the way - but the BunsenLabs Lithium Netinstall script has now been updated and seems to be working OK.

Anyone interested, please check it out.

truscellino wrote:

A particular case is machines with UEFI 32 bits + 64 bits CPU, like early intel mac minis (like I have), quite a few models of netbooks from 2005-2010 period. Linux 64 bits install becomes a bit tricky as you must have 32 bits EFI bootloader. You can do this with Debian multi-arch but I am getting off-topic here...

So, this might now be possible, installing a basic Debian 64bit system from a multi-arch iso, then running the BL netinstall script.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#80 2020-09-08 09:29:47

truscellino

Nice, thank you!

#81 2020-09-08 17:15:28

rbh

johnraff wrote:

but the BunsenLabs Lithium Netinstall script has now been updated and seems to be working OK.

Ah, great! Many thanks!

// Regards rbh

#82 2020-09-09 05:46:20

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

Awesome, thanks! smile

Keep BunsenLabs #!yish please.

#83 2020-09-09 18:10:31

yoda
Website

One of my B Laptop is a slow 8 GB, 32 GB SSD HP Laptop.  Presently running BL Lithium 64 bits.

I suppose, this 32 bits version would be faster on slow hardware ?

The only think stopping me from making the move to get more speed, is the Apps I have that run on 64 bits... Am I missing something / AM I right, saying some Apps won't work anymore with the 32 bits version of BL ?

According to Buddhism, we all met several times... This time, it's on this forum :-) May we meet again

#84 2020-09-10 01:16:51

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@yoda, my understanding is the biggest issue on old computers with 64bit is the RAM usage. With 8GB (same as my daily machine) I don't think you'll notice much of a speed gain in switching to 32 bit. And yes, it's possible some apps might not have 32bit versions.

#85 2020-09-10 01:56:06

hhh
Meep!
Website

#86 2020-09-10 02:16:26

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Although, to get any speed improvement, wouldn't a reinstall of a 32bit system be better than migrating?

But maybe there are some tweaks that can be done on yoda's current 64bit system to improve speed?

#87 2020-09-10 11:09:32

grubernd

yoda wrote:

One of my B Laptop is a slow 8 GB, 32 GB SSD HP Laptop.  Presently running BL Lithium 64 bits.

I suppose, this 32 bits version would be faster on slow hardware ?

I don't think there is a noticeable [1] difference between 32bit and 64bit OS in term of speed. At least I have never ran into one on my various systems. My experience is you are either CPU or I/O limited, architecture plays a minor role - if at all.

I do some heavy number-crunching and I/O-demanding batch jobs (RAW image conversions etc) and they scale predictably from a 64bit i7-4990 with 16GB RAM down to a 32bit Atom with 2GB RAM just by looking at the CPU-benchmark and system I/O. And [BL Li] in itself feels pretty much the same on both machines, when accounting for the general difference of the hardware.

[1] anything 20% faster or up is usually required to be noticed by an end-user

#88 2020-09-11 18:14:29

truscellino

All comparative tests I have seen show that 64 bits version of software run faster than 32 bits. We discussed this at the beginning of this very thread (Post 15 etc.).

The only cases where 32 bits system is interesting is on machines with little RAM (<2Gb) because 32 bits software uses much less RAM, so less risk to start swapping heavily which can become a real bottleneck. With 8Gb I would go for 64 bits without hesitation...

Last edited by truscellino (2020-09-11 18:21:36)

#89 2020-09-11 19:33:36

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

truscellino wrote:

The only cases where 32 bits system is interesting is on machines with little RAM (<2Gb) because 32 bits software uses much less RAM, so less risk to start swapping heavily which can become a real bottleneck. With 8Gb I would go for 64 bits without hesitation...

That makes sense even on a 64bit machine where the RAM is not upgradable and is usually at 2-4GB on the board. Most of the early 64 bit netbooks and cheap laptops fall into this category.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-09-11 19:34:07)

Real Men Use Linux

#90 2020-09-11 20:29:23

grubernd

truscellino wrote:

The only cases where 32 bits system is interesting is on machines with little RAM (<2Gb) because 32 bits software uses much less RAM, so less risk to start swapping heavily which can become a real bottleneck.

That is quite true, but..

..if someone really needs to run RAM-heavy software, then they should do themselves and their electrical bill a favour and get a modern machine with more RAM. Even a lowly Celeron Mobile CPU will be better than anything from the pre-64bit era.

And - please bear with my highly opiniated view here - if someone can't afford to upgrade their machine they do not want to run RAM-heavy software anyway.

Not today, where options are readily available and rather cheap - both in initial investment and running costs.

#91 2020-09-11 22:03:57

hhh
Meep!
Website

^ Well, how much RAM are you talking? I'd argue that on BL or any Debian distro , or any distro, 2 or 3G should be plenty, unless your compiling or other resource-intensive programming, maybe running live-build, or doing heavy audio/video/graphics/animation stuff, or gaming of course. You can run Plasma or GNOME easily with 3G ram. A basic user with 2 or 3 or 4G RAM is... fine? Comfortable? Stable? Definitely stable.

Board footer