You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-16 01:53:56

hhh
Meep!
Website

[FINISHED] BunsenLabs Lithium 32 bit Release Candidate iso available

Note: The official 32 bit iso has now been released, and this RC version is no longer available.

---
This image is still over the CD size limit, but it's a valid 32 bit image of Lithium. Let bl-welcome install a PAE kernel, if available, and bunsen-meta-all if you want a complete BL desktop, then reboot. There's no GUI installer included on this image, but the text installer works just fine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e_7ZmP … _3isB/view

sha256: 4ca1c90b5e14bd9c4dfed4d47090b2e70a6399027d0de8c1d0f784eae8cb50dd

Screenshot-2020-06-15-21-32-19.png

https://i.postimg.cc/44SmRpqx/Screensho … -32-19.png

Special thanks to @johnraff for his hard work building our images.

Last edited by johnraff (2020-08-07 23:59:26)

#2 2020-06-17 08:40:40

souibes

Re: [FINISHED] BunsenLabs Lithium 32 bit Release Candidate iso available

Hi my name is hamid
Just to let you know that the installer is not working for
me, stuck after detecting network.
The iso image is fine as i checked sha256
Don't know if someone else is having the same issue.
Thank you in advance fo let in me know if there is
a workaround.
Cheers

#3 2020-06-17 09:35:14

rbh

souibes wrote:

Thank you in advance fo let in me know if there is a workaround.

There has been some people reporting they have the problem with Debian installer hanging when detecting the network.

Workarounds:
The network may bee misconfigured, try attach directly to the router/modem/getaway.
Disable ipv6 on the router/modem/getaway, during installation.
Skip wifi, only use cable.
Attach usb ethernet nic, known to work well under linux.
Do not connect to the network. Note, you have to manually add repository for Bunsenlabs.
Attach the harddisk to another computer where installer works, and install so.

// Regards rbh

#4 2020-06-17 12:28:16

rbh

rbh wrote:

Do not connect to the network. Note, you have to manually add repository for Bunsenlabs.

Sorry, wrong of mee. Nowadays you must have working internet connection to be able to install BL.

// Regards rbh

#5 2020-06-17 13:28:37

rbh

The Live session:

Would be good to include start info how to change keyboard layout.
Default keyboard shortcuts, should not include mod4 (windows key), as many older 32 bit laptops do not have win key. Or include info to edit shotcut keys.
Remove Firefox, install Dillo instead and the iso will fit on an CD.
Or: Two isos, One for install and one for live session.

Install session.
On lighter bunsen-meta package, would be good. "Bunsen-meta-base", without libreoffice, packaging and lamp.
Info howto handle old hardware without winkey.

// Regards rbh

#6 2020-06-17 20:00:33

cog
Developer
Website

souibes wrote:

Hi my name is hamid
Just to let you know that the installer is not working for
me, stuck after detecting network.
The iso image is fine as i checked sha256
Don't know if someone else is having the same issue.
Thank you in advance fo let in me know if there is
a workaround.
Cheers

Hey hamid.  Please try this:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 58#p102258

The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work.

#7 2020-06-18 06:58:47

johnraff
nullglob
Website

rbh wrote:

The Live session:

Would be good to include start info how to change keyboard layout.
Default keyboard shortcuts, should not include mod4 (windows key), as many older 32 bit laptops do not have win key. Or include info to edit shotcut keys.
Remove Firefox, install Dillo instead and the iso will fit on an CD.
Or: Two isos, One for install and one for live session.

Install session.
On lighter bunsen-meta package, would be good. "Bunsen-meta-base", without libreoffice, packaging and lamp.
Info howto handle old hardware without winkey.

Thanks for the feedback!
All good points, and noted down.

Though:

1) Win key was chosen because no apps use it and least likely to clash with shortcuts. Are there really so many 32bit laptops without one? But, yes, some info on how to change keybinds, and, especially, how to set the keyboard layout would be a good idea. Maybe add it to the CD welcome popup.

2) I'm working on squashing-down the iso to fit on a CD right now, and I don't think Firefox>Dillo would be enough. (Probably locales other than en_US.UTF-8, docs and man pages will be lost.) I like Dillo very much for old hardware, where it's incredibly fast, but missing javascript completely, so unable to handle a lot of today's web. But for the 32bit iso Dillo by default with Firefox as an optional install is worth thinking about.

3) Yes, a bunsen-meta-base would be a good idea, but I think maybe some app substitutions (like Fx > Dillo), not just removals, might be needed. (Neither packaging utilities nor LAMP go in bunsen-meta-all, they are bl-welcome options btw.) Also I can see the possible need for an alternative bunsen-configs-lite with some different user settings in order not to have too much broken functionality.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#8 2020-06-19 00:10:56

hhh
Meep!
Website

rbh wrote:
rbh wrote:

Sorry, wrong of mee. Nowadays you must have working internet connection to be able to install BL.

Not true. BL uses the Debian Installer, there is a menu option to "do not configure the network at this time" or something. You can install it without a connection and fix issues, like install a driver via USB or another partition, afterwards. Fix your sources if needed, then run 'bl-welcome' or 'sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade' to install any packages missing as a result.

There's also a prompt to insert a missing driver via USB with driver files you've included during the install, then you can configure the network during the install as usual.

#9 2020-06-19 11:48:42

rbh

hhh wrote:
rbh wrote:
rbh wrote:

Not true. BL uses the Debian Installer, there is a menu option to "do not o the network at this time" or something. You can install it without a connection

I can't find any such menu option. But, in advanced install mood, you can just skip copnfiguring network. But you must also skip configuring package manager. If yo do not skip configuring package manager, the installer will fail on grub install.

Last edited by rbh (2020-06-19 11:48:56)

// Regards rbh

#10 2020-06-19 13:30:08

yoda
Website

I also have Lithium on a slow UP laptop ( 32 GB ssd 2 GB RAM) etc

Lithium 64 runs well but slow (because of the slow PC).

32 bits Lithum should be a bit faster ? Smaller  footprint (cpu, memory etc) ?

According to Buddhism, we all met several times... This time, it's on this forum :-) May we meet again

#11 2020-06-19 15:13:31

rbh

yoda wrote:

I also have Lithium on a slow UP laptop ( 32 GB ssd 2 GB RAM) etc

But you can't boot 32 bit kernel on 64 bit cpu...
Test with booting live iso and compare.

On my old 32 bit laptops, I have disabled all unnessesarys services. If I need to print, I start Cups. No Avahaidaemon, conky and so on.

// Regards rbh

#12 2020-06-19 23:33:37

hhh
Meep!
Website

rbh wrote:

But you can't boot 32 bit kernel on 64 bit cpu.

What? How have I been testing our 64 bit and 32 bit images since our first test release years ago, and posting the screenshots of those 32 and 64 bit kernels listed by 'uname -a'? I'm a layman, is this some technical definition I'm not aware of, like not i686 vs. amd64 but something else?

Hell, I built the first BL images and installed them in both architectures on a 64 bit machine. The current 32 bit kernel test build on a 64 bit machine...

Screenshot-2020-06-15-21-32-19.png

https://www.howtogeek.com/165144/htg-ex … ntu-linux/

#13 2020-06-20 03:09:36

johnraff
nullglob
Website

rbh wrote:

But you can't boot 32 bit kernel on 64 bit cpu

Like @hhh, I'm pretty sure you can.

#14 2020-06-25 09:03:40

unklar

Many thanks to the team! angel

After I arrived back home this week, I downloaded the ISO, checked shasum, 20 minutes
played with the Live and then installed on the disk.

So this is the installation.

HL3twmUt.png 9uCZRFxt.png

inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: lithium Kernel: 4.19.0-9-686 i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 
           Distro: BunsenLabs GNU/Linux 10.4 (Lithium) base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: IBM product: 2371H8G v: ThinkPad X40 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: IBM model: 2371H8G serial: <filter> BIOS: IBM v: 1UETD3WW (2.08 ) date: 12/21/2006 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 0.9 Wh condition: 0.9/27.4 Wh (3%) model: Panasonic IBM-92P1000 status: Full 
CPU:       Topology: Single Core model: Intel Pentium M bits: 32 type: MCP arch: M Dothan rev: 6 L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
           flags: sse sse2 bogomips: 1195 
           Speed: 600 MHz min/max: 600/1400 MHz Core speed (MHz): 1: 600 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics vendor: IBM driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1024x768~50Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 852GM/855GM x86/MMX/SSE2 v: 1.3 Mesa 18.3.6 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM AC97 Audio vendor: IBM driver: snd_intel8x0 v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.5 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-9-686 
Network:   Device-1: Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network driver: ipw2200 v: 1.2.2kmprq port: 2000 
           bus ID: 02:02.0 
           IF: wlp2s2 state: up mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: 3Com 3cCFE575CT CardBus [Cyclone] driver: 3c59x v: kernel port: 3000 bus ID: 03:00.0 
           IF: ens1 state: unknown speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 56.00 GiB used: 2.58 GiB (4.6%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: MXSSD1MNANO-60G size: 56.00 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 14.70 GiB used: 2.58 GiB (17.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
Sensors:   Missing: Required tool sensors not installed. Check --recommends 
Info:      Processes: 118 Uptime: 37m Memory: 1.47 GiB used: 339.6 MiB (22.6%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: 
           gcc: N/A Shell: bash v: 5.0.3 inxi: 3.0.32 

I replaced an old siduction-686 installation with Fluxbox, which only ran with an antiX kernel.

There were no problems installing with the text installer. Everything was setup correctly (with LAN connection).
This lithium provides the main bootloader in the MBR. Also on the disk is a helium installation, which will be deleted later.

The repo has not been changed. apt dist-upgrade only installed a modified bunsen-xxx.

Installed and set up I have so far:

.Xmodmap (because this keyboard has no > < | characters and I need them)
Z0iQlCrt.png
terminator
keepassxc
thinkfan
my light Conky and
is still planned in unison, because this machine is supposed to synchronize the data with all computers in the house (at the moment the helium installation does that).
claws-mail
system-config-printer

I have "cleaned" the FF in its delivery state, equipped it with the AddOns uBlock-Origin, uMatrix and SkipRedirect and added my bookmarks.

For the intended purpose the lithium feels good and runs smoothly. So far I could not find any errors.  smile
Thanks again to all of you, especially to johnraff, hhh, and damo for this piece of jewelry.

Last edited by unklar (2020-06-25 12:04:08)

#15 2020-06-25 12:43:22

truscellino

Hi everyone,
I just registered to this forum as I am interested in installing BL Lithium. Looks great and thank you for offering a great system for old machines with 32 bits architectures.

as regards this:

yoda wrote:

I have looked into this, back when I was using Crunchbang actually. You will find some theads on superuser and some benchmarks on Phoronix, among others, e.g.
Benchmarking Ubuntu 32-bit vs. 64-bit - Phoronix

My understanding: 32 bits applications have a smaller footprint in RAM (due to half-size pointers, registers etc.) but if you have a 64 bits CPU then 64 bits instructions runs much faster.
A particular case is machines with UEFI 32 bits + 64 bits CPU, like early intel mac minis (like I have), quite a few models of netbooks from 2005-2010 period. Linux 64 bits install becomes a bit tricky as you must have 32 bits EFI bootloader. You can do this with Debian multi-arch but I am getting off-topic here smile
For these machines, 32 bits install is the easy way and yes, from my own experience 32 bit system runs fine on 64 bit CPU.

#16 2020-06-25 13:20:29

rbh

unklar wrote:

is still planned in unison, because this machine is supposed to synchronize the data with all computers in the house.

If you want to sync bi-directional to more than two computers, tools like Syncthing, seems better suited than unison...

// Regards rbh

#17 2020-06-26 09:03:37

unklar

Thanks rbh,

I've worked with unison for many years... that's why   wink

#18 2020-06-26 17:26:25

yoda
Website

From my experience, we can run the 32 bits on 64 bits PC.
At least I did it in the past with other Debian distros...

Will try.

According to Buddhism, we all met several times... This time, it's on this forum :-) May we meet again

#19 2020-06-27 01:29:34

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hi truscellino smile

truscellino wrote:

A particular case is machines with UEFI 32 bits + 64 bits CPU, like early intel mac minis (like I have), quite a few models of netbooks from 2005-2010 period. Linux 64 bits install becomes a bit tricky as you must have 32 bits EFI bootloader. You can do this with Debian multi-arch but I am getting off-topic here

This topic has come up in the past:
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=5132

Support for mixed-mode installs looks like something that would be nice to have for BunsenLabs, but has been left on the back-burner for a long time. (A workaround would be to install a basic command-line Debian system from a multi-arch netinstall iso, and add BunsenLabs via the metapackage.) It's too late to add it to the Lithium CD iso now, but once the release is out I plan to have another look at the Debian multi-arch isos and see if live-build can be persuaded to build something similar. Thanks for the reminder!

#20 2020-06-27 02:50:40

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

johnraff wrote:

Hi truscellino smile

truscellino wrote:

A particular case is machines with UEFI 32 bits + 64 bits CPU, like early intel mac minis (like I have), quite a few models of netbooks from 2005-2010 period. Linux 64 bits install becomes a bit tricky as you must have 32 bits EFI bootloader. You can do this with Debian multi-arch but I am getting off-topic here

Support for mixed-mode installs looks like something that would be nice to have for BunsenLabs, but has been left on the back-burner for a long time. (A workaround would be to install a basic command-line Debian system from a multi-arch netinstall iso, and add BunsenLabs via the metapackage.) It's too late to add it to the Lithium CD iso now, but once the release is out I plan to have another look at the Debian multi-arch isos and see if live-build can be persuaded to build something similar. Thanks for the reminder!

Wasn't there also a script that walks the user through BL install from a Debian base system?

Real Men Use Linux

#21 2020-06-27 03:26:54

hhh
Meep!
Website

DeepDayze wrote:
johnraff wrote:

Hi truscellino smile

truscellino wrote:

Wasn't there also a script that walks the user through BL install from a Debian base system?

https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-netinstall

#22 2020-06-27 14:57:37

DeepDayze

hhh wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:
johnraff wrote:

Hi truscellino :)This topic has come up in the past:

https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-netinstall

Ahh that's the one :-)

That should still be useful too. Is it updated for Lithium?

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-06-27 14:58:05)

Real Men Use Linux

#23 2020-06-27 15:44:48

rbh

DeepDayze wrote:

Is it updated for Lithium?

https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-ne … ee/lithium:

README
WARNING
This "lithium" version of the netinstall script is not yet ready for release.
Do NOT use it for anything other than testing.

// Regards rbh

#24 2020-06-27 16:04:57

DeepDayze

rbh wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

Is it updated for Lithium?

https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-ne … ee/lithium:

README
WARNING
This "lithium" version of the netinstall script is not yet ready for release.
Do NOT use it for anything other than testing.

OK great to see, thanks. it should soon be ready to go :-)

Real Men Use Linux

#25 2020-06-28 01:47:45

hhh
Meep!
Website

Thanks rbh. Stupid of me not to switch the branch.

Board footer