You are not logged in.

#126 2020-05-19 21:23:07

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: Lithium test iso available

Minor quibble, I hate the resurgence of "Nah" as a retort. It made sense growing up in 1980's Boston Mass, but is completely cringey to me now. It makes everything sound like a Reddit thread.

I submitted our first Hydrogen ISOs to Jessie on DistroWatch, and he was kind enough to review it. He was unimpressed, I vocally took offense in the comment thread, and that started things off with a bad taste for everyone. My bad.

That was alleviated via email apologies, not so much for my reaction which was understandable, but for the insolent tone I used, and finally a review of Helium by Robert Rijkhoff, who I believe was a forum member at the time (and might still be, I didn't check). This was a favorable review.

Since then, all major announcements here have been announced by DistroWatch, and I'm sure we will continue to be on their radar for niche distros.

re: stats, DistroWatch themselves state that their download stats are somewhat meaningless. It's anecdotal evidence, and should be taken with skepticism.

#127 2020-05-19 21:37:21

hhh
Meep!
Website

A statement, and if anyone from The Team disagrees or would like to add something, please.

BunsenLabs started because, frankly, we loved the forum. That was the one thing about #! that we all really liked, a nice, beginner friendly forum with some monster computer people around to keep things relevant. I mean, Philip was right, we could easily have all transferred to different distributions, especially Debian and Ubuntu. But we didn't. We were having fun writing scripts, offering support, creating themes and screenshots, talking Linux, and all the additional stuff like music and film and booze that is now Off Topic.

That's why we still do it. It's not for future users. That stuff is great and is what keeps us going, but the heart of what we do is for who is here now, and who's been with us through it all. DistroWatch rankings are fun to watch, but being "Top Ten" or whatever will never be our goal.

Kissy emoji, you dorks. One of us, gooble gobble!

^ That reference is from Freaks (1932) and it is completely horrifying.

-edit- I mean, it's not obscene or NSFW, but it is utterly, devastatingly horrifying. Look it up if you're a deviant.

#128 2020-05-20 01:59:47

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^No disagreement, but to add: I think there are also people who don't participate in the forum but still find BL useful. Check Twitter references for example - every now and then an "I love BunsenLabs"-type tweet pops up.
One of the Distrowatch reviewers said "a jewel of a distro" too. cool

But ohnonot's right that releasing Lithium sooner after Buster would have been good. It didn't happen that way, because it's a small team with Real Life commitments, but I think a push to get Beryllium out of the door smartly, even without all the improvements we might like, might be worth doing.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#129 2020-05-21 06:43:27

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ thanks for actually addressing what I brought up!

I fully understand that it's not easy with a limited amount of resources, read: capable people helping out.

One thing though: rarely does one see in the FOSS world a team taking alpha, beta and release so seriously.
In other words, I'm sure other distro maintainers would've released Lithium ages ago.
The "alpha" test iso certainly seems stable enough.
I seem to remember a similar scrupulousness for the Helium release.

johnraff wrote:

a push to get Beryllium out of the door smartly, even without all the improvements we might like, might be worth doing.

Yes.

edit: removed personal stuff to not distract from my main point. Sorry damo.

Last edited by ohnonot (2020-05-21 07:14:43)

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#130 2020-05-21 07:02:18

damo
....moderator....

ohnonot wrote:

... Where is the genius of #!, which simply tried to release an ootb usable openbox desktop on top of Debian stable.....

a) #! had a full-time developer, and a large repo of CB-specific packages. Even so, it was still quite buggy in places.

b) BL is looking down the road and trying to anticipate changes to the window management environment. @johnraff has done good work trying to make it easy to install alternative WM's without major user involvement to set them up.

c) jgmenu/xbindkeys is a big step forward as a coherent WM-independant system. We run Openbox OOTB, but you can see from the forum that folk love to tweak and experiment with other WM's. Hopefully this makes it easier smile

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#131 2020-05-21 07:59:22

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^&^^ Yes I think eventually Lithium was a big step from Helium, and while users were impatiently waiting we were debugging all kinds of new stuff. With any luck, Beryllium won't need so much changing from that. Things like eliminating Python2...

#132 2020-05-21 08:02:37

johnraff
nullglob
Website

johnraff wrote:

Check Twitter references for example....

BL seems to have some happy users in the Spanish-speaking world. Just yesterday I ran into a whole slew of retweets of someone saying how much they liked it. Is there a Spanish-speaking BL community somewhere, I wonder?

#133 2020-05-21 09:31:16

twoion
ほやほや

johnraff wrote:
johnraff wrote:

BL seems to have some happy users in the Spanish-speaking world. Just yesterday I ran into a whole slew of retweets of someone saying how much they liked it. Is there a Spanish-speaking BL community somewhere, I wonder?

South America in particular.

Per aspera ad astra.

#134 2020-05-21 23:01:09

hhh
Meep!
Website

johnraff wrote:

But ohnonot's right that releasing Lithium sooner after Buster would have been good. It didn't happen that way, because it's a small team with Real Life commitments, but I think a push to get Beryllium out of the door smartly, even without all the improvements we might like, might be worth doing.

I pushed for us to be early with Lithium's release, because Helium came late, but, in addition to our personal life commitments, what also delayed us was the rapid development of some key new BL features that were being created as we pushed for that early release. Then it became apparent, I think, that the new development (jgmenu, independent BL session, new bl-exit, etc...) needed some time to get to a release stage. So still delayed, but with much long-term progress made.

This should let us achieve an earlier Beryllium release, as the groundwork is being built now, allowing us to focus on details for the near future. Fingers crossed.

#135 2020-05-22 01:39:50

DeepDayze

hhh wrote:
johnraff wrote:

I pushed for us to be early with Lithium's release, because Helium came late, but, in addition to our personal life commitments, what also delayed us was the rapid development of some key new BL features that were being created as we pushed for that early release. Then it became apparent, I think, that the new development (jgmenu, independent BL session, new bl-exit, etc...) needed some time to get to a release stage. So still delayed, but with much long-term progress made.

This should let us achieve an earlier Beryllium release, as the groundwork is being built now, allowing us to focus on details for the near future. Fingers crossed.

Sounds like things are shaping up well for Lithium and with the impending release of Bullseye sometime next year (if the Debian release cadence stays roughly the same as past releases) then Beryllium should be quicker to release.

Perhaps track Testing for new releases and once Testing spawns a new stable, then a new release of BL soon after (once all cleanup and final development work done)? While I know new features and infrastructure takes time but perhaps a good way to go about releases without expending a lot of unnecessary effort by the dev team.

BL still rocks and will continue to rock in the #! tradition :-)

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-05-22 01:40:21)

Real Men Use Linux

#136 2020-05-22 02:56:28

johnraff
nullglob
Website

DeepDayze wrote:

Perhaps track Testing for new releases...

Yes, lithium is now the default branch in our GitHub repos but as soon as Lithium is out I think we could have beryllium branches with packages based on Debian Bullseye. Get it moving...

#137 2020-05-22 03:08:33

DeepDayze

johnraff wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

Perhaps track Testing for new releases...

Yes, lithium is now the default branch in our GitHub repos but as soon as Lithium is out I think we could have beryllium branches with packages based on Debian Bullseye. Get it moving...

Yes that sounds logical. Tracking Testing for Beryllium's development makes better sense so once Bullseye is released it should then take less time to get Beryllium out the door.

Concurrently any new features such as themes and artwork for Beryllium can be done as well.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-05-22 03:10:39)

Real Men Use Linux

#138 2020-05-23 06:29:17

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

twoion wrote:
johnraff wrote:
johnraff wrote:

South America in particular.

Yes, there are a Spanish speaking community on Telegram. Which is mentioned on the BL homepage.

https://t.me/esbunsenlabs

Last edited by dolly (2020-05-23 09:47:50)

Keep BunsenLabs #!yish please.

#139 2020-05-26 18:41:13

Runion2

eight.bit.al wrote:
Runion2 wrote:

- Someone asked about a chip number?  not sure what you are asking but in my mind, the problem is in the distro.

That was me; in this post. Also, in the following post after mine, rbh asked if you were connecting by LAN or WIFI. You didn't answer either question.

The error you're having is rare, only happens to a few computers. In my experience with this issue, the problem starts with the installer provided by Debian that BunsonLabs inherits. If I can gather enough information about the issue, I can file a bug report with Debian. I have two machines that have the same issue. I've seen a few more cases of this issue on the Net.

8bit

I listed what I knew or can find about one of the computers in a post. 
Someone suggested a usb ethernet alternate, I am looking into that.

My ethernet is through cable.  I have not attempted WiFi basically because I didn't think of it and because that computer that I am using does not have WiFi.

I don't recall using all CAPS on a message but I will watch that I do not do that.

To you all writing the Busen Labs Lithium program, many thanks.  I am really liking this program, even with the quirks, there are only two that concern me now, installation and the listing of new added applications on the menu.  And I am told that that should be taken care of now too.
I appreciate all the hard work you all have done and the BL Lithium is turning out to be a great system.
Thanks so much for you enduring efforts.

Lenovo M91P  Lenovo M58P  Lenovo IdeaBook Yoga  Acer Aspire One
R

#140 2020-05-26 21:32:00

hhh
Meep!
Website

Runion2 wrote:

I am really liking this program, even with the quirks, there are only two that concern me now, installation and the listing of new added applications on the menu.  And I am told that that should be taken care of now too.

Yes to the second concern. If you have installed or upgraded to our lithium/buster repo, you'll find that we've replaced the default OpenBox root menu with jgmenu, which has type-to-search for an application, and also auto-updates if an application is installed that provides a *.desktop entry to /usr/share/applications.

#141 2020-05-29 23:46:11

juancuyo

Hello, good evening, I would like to know if the 32-bit version of BunsenLabs Lithium is already available  on my PC, I currently use the Helium version. I appreciate your effort. It is a great distribution.

#142 2020-05-30 05:48:46

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hi juancuyo, thanks for using BL!
The Lithium official 64bit iso will be out very soon.
There will also be a 32bit version, but it will take a little longer.

The BunsenLabs packages are all available in 32bit compatible versions now.

#143 2020-05-30 21:26:19

hhh
Meep!
Website

johnraff wrote:

The BunsenLabs packages are all available in 32bit compatible versions now.

Which means you can install 32 bit Debian Buster and then install bunsen-meta-all.

I would suggest non-free, from here...

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof … free/i386/

These images do not contain the b43-fwcutter package needed for legacy Broadcom WiFi, our ISO includes that. Still, if you have a landline to install from, you can install the package afterwards...

https://packages.debian.org/buster/b43-fwcutter

You could also put that package on a USB drive and install it when you install Debian (if you need more info, start another thread).

As to which Debian image to use, the standard one is best, but if you are a beginner, I'd recommend the XFCE one, that will give you a working desktop out-of-the-box. If you have a bittorrent client like Transmission...

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof … so.torrent

Otherwise, use the iso-hybrid image...

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof … onfree.iso

Then add our development repository (see the first post in this thread), run 'sudo apt update' (w/out quotes), and install bunsen-meta-all.

Open a new thread if you need more info on any of this, including removing XFCE once you have a working BunsenLabs desktop running.

Board footer