You are not logged in.

#76 2020-03-29 09:49:52

Forero

Re: Lithium test iso available

hello I love lithio is going very well very fast a good job guys anxious to see when you get it official thank you

#77 2020-04-08 10:27:07

Runion2

My experience with the install is FAIL.

Its a shame too, the FLASH works out of the box, not the case with bunsenlabs Helium which I can't for the life of me get to work with flash.  I read that BL Lithium worked with flash on install so I tried it.  Works as live dvd or USB with flash.  BUT...... it won't install.

I have tried several different ways, it gets to the network load, then the screen goes blank and freezes.
I can run as a LIVE dvd or USB but it will not install.

Needs a little work I think.

The plus side, it works with FLASH out of the box.  I can't get my bunsenlabs helium to work at all when FLASH is required, and it won't install FLASH.

The welcome script gets an error for the bunsenlabs helium flash load, says it can't be found.

installed both Chromium and Chrome and still no flash.

About to give up on this distro. Most others work out of the box.

Just my thoughts.

200408 0434

Last edited by Runion2 (2020-04-08 10:44:11)

#78 2020-04-08 11:37:39

eight.bit.al

What Ethernet chip is in your machine?
RTL 8211B or similar?
The driver used ( for that chip) in the live DVD/USB is r8169-200 and works well. I suspect a different driver is used in the install. Haven't been able to figure out which driver that is.
I've had the same issue with BL and an image I DL directly from Debian. I think the issue starts with the Debian installer.

Found several instances on the net of this issue. Wish I had keep those links.

8bit

Edit: If the Devs would say which image from Debian they build BL on, I'd like to check on this further.

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-04-08 11:58:30)

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

#79 2020-04-08 12:30:07

rbh

Runion2 wrote:

[...]I have tried several different ways, it gets to the network load, then the screen goes blank and freezes.

Du you connect with cable or wiffi? Have you tried both?

You can try use linux compatible usb nic. Here is a list: https://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Ethernet_adapters.
It is a low cost and very good in emegencys.
As you have noted, there is support for your network, if you just can install.

// Regards rbh

#80 2020-04-09 02:01:15

johnraff
nullglob
Website

eight.bit.al wrote:

If the Devs would say which image from Debian they build BL on, I'd like to check on this further.

BL iso files are built using live-build from Debian Buster, which in turn uses the current version of debian-installer at the time of the build. In the case of lithium-dev-4 (the last public release) this was Sun  8 Dec 18:51:10 JST 2019
(A new build of the Release Candidate iso should be out soon, though.)
It's further complicated because debian-installer consists of a large number of individual packages, each with its own version number.

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#81 2020-04-09 02:09:14

eight.bit.al

^ Thanks for the reply.

8bit

#82 2020-04-20 19:01:01

sailhobie

I'm really excited to start using Lithium. Is it close enough to install the test iso? will it be easy to upgrade once the final release if pushed out or will it be better to wait and do a clean install when released?

Thanks everyone for your work carrying the torch of Crunchbang. Love the clean, stable feel!

#83 2020-04-20 19:12:47

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

@sailhobie the ISO is quite usable and I've done a test bare metal install and had no showstopping  issues so far. Try it in a virtual machine or on a  spare hard drive. Even upgraded a Helium install to Lithium with minor glitches but nothing that can't be quickly fixed.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-04-20 19:13:46)

Real Men Use Linux

#84 2020-04-20 23:22:58

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^^ +1 to what DeepDayze said.

And:
You can install from the current Lithium test iso and if you then upgrade the BL packages with a usual apt upgrade you'll be up to date. Alternatively wait (a week or so?) for the Lithium Release Candidate iso. From there to the official BunsenLabs Lithium, when it comes out, will just require editing a file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d and doing another apt upgrade. It's very simple and we'll publish detailed instructions at that time. There'll be no need to do a re-install.

#85 2020-04-22 14:53:44

sailhobie

Awesome, sounds like the RC is so close I'll just wait. Is there a tentative date out there? May 1st?

Also, I made a donation and was wondering if there were any of those stickers still available for purchase.

#86 2020-04-24 17:59:35

cherkie

howdy, any news on lithium release? cheers. I've been using it for few months now, no issues whatsoever. smile

I don't have patience or skill to dig deep enough every time system breaks itself or when I break something because of lack of patience and skill.
nore, 23 Feb 2019

#87 2020-04-26 19:09:56

Runion2

I have successfully installed BL Helium in 3 of my computers, including one with an Atom processor, with no problem other than HELIUM will not install Flash.
I downloaded BL Lithium in hopes to fix the Flash problem.  It DID.  HOWEVER, Lithium does not install on the computer, as I have mentioned previously.
- I can install as a LIVE USB and LIVE DVD and after changing the behavior of the Thunar File manager (thankyou very much to who gave me that clue) it has run (from the USB ONLY) very nicely.  I am getting to like this operating system a lot now.

- This is further complicated because It WON'T install on the USB as a system, as BL Helium did, or like my other distros WILL.

Thanks for your time..................
R

200426 1414

Last edited by Runion2 (2020-05-04 17:00:40)

#88 2020-04-26 20:46:08

eight.bit.al

Runion2 wrote:

- Someone asked about a chip number?  not sure what you are asking but in my mind, the problem is in the distro.

That was me; in this post. Also, in the following post after mine, rbh asked if you were connecting by LAN or WIFI. You didn't answer either question.

You posted the same issue in a second post. I refured you to your original post, and asked for you to reply with the needed info. Now, your third post...

It's important for us to help you, that you to make the effort to provide the info requested. And BTW, the GRRRrrs and typing in all caps does not inspire anyone to help your cause.

The error you're having is rare, only happens to a few computers. In my experience with this issue, the problem starts with the installer provided by Debian that BunsonLabs inherits. If I can gather enough information about the issue, I can file a bug report with Debian. I have two machines that have the same issue. I've seen a few more cases of this issue on the Net.

8bit

#89 2020-04-30 05:31:15

ohnonot
...again
Website

eight.bit.al wrote:

In my experience with this issue, the problem starts with the installer provided by Debian that BunsonLabs inherits.

Important point.
BL is built on top of Debian stable. You will never get full support here and will always have to be able to separate BL issues from Debian issues, and search accordingly.

Search youtube without a brwoser: repo | thread
BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#90 2020-04-30 06:45:51

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ohnonot wrote:

You will never get full support here and will always have to be able to separate BL issues from Debian issues, and search accordingly.

Although people here will usually know which it is.

#91 2020-05-02 15:42:02

justme

Installation finished and it runs well on an old laptop with low specs (ram: 2G,cpu: 1core).
I've read that people had some troubles with this ISO but in my case I didn't see any error during the installation or when I was using it today.
It feels a little bit snappier may be it's a placebo effect but overall I have this impression that things are running a bit better especially the logout dialogue window which was eating my cpu to 100% on Helium edition.

Themes are well designed as usual, nice colors and really nice wallpapers.
I've got to say you guys really know your s**** about "theming"! I think the work you do with Bunsenlabs is outstanding even better than what was proposed in #! honestly.

Well done guys you deserve some compliments no doubt, thank you for the nice spirit you spread with this distribution along this forum too, I am not a big talker sorry I've just signed up but I read more than I talk .

Keep it up guys!

#92 2020-05-02 17:45:53

dbvolvox
Website

Nicely put @justme.

#93 2020-05-02 18:39:53

corey.taylor
Website

Yeah another vote for the BL dudes. I've been using it for a little while now, certainly long enough for any issues to pop up especially once one starts installing software and dependencies need to play nice. Scientific software especially often needs weird libs or some strange old-skool setup of some sort because a Python layer needs to interact nicely with a C module that interfaces with a Fortran chunk that some nerd threw together on a slow Sunday in the 70s. BL has been fabulous, can't speak highly enough how much I'm enjoying using it. Even installed a UT-style game (Xonotic) and it flies.

My laptop is a bit old (2015-ish) so it'll be interesting to see how BL goes on newer hardware once I upgrade. Also, I plan to see if I can get a music setup happening with Rosegarden and a hardware interface or something similar. But so far, as I've said, hats off to the BL guys.

Same goes to the Debian crew. Must be the longest-running, most widely used Linux distro now?

#94 2020-05-02 19:53:38

damo
....moderator....

justme wrote:

I've got to say you guys really know your s**** about "theming"! ...

Great to hear smile  Most of the kudos for the themeing goes to @hhh  kiss

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#95 2020-05-02 20:54:19

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

damo wrote:
justme wrote:

Speaking as someone who is still rocking the CrunchBang theme for my forum account, kudos also to Philip Newborough who inspired this entire project.

Thanks corenominal.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

#96 2020-05-02 23:14:59

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Anaconda wrote:
damo wrote:
justme wrote:

Speaking as someone who is still rocking the CrunchBang theme for my forum account, kudos also to Philip Newborough who inspired this entire project.

Thanks corenominal.

I liked #! in the early days and it's a solid distro through and through and BL only continues that tradition. Corenominal should be proud of what he's brought about.

Real Men Use Linux

#97 2020-05-02 23:36:56

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Anaconda wrote:

+1
I also prefer the dark-grey #! forum theme. In fact, I tried the others and don't think I liked any of them...

And, right, Philip had a great graphics sense, which was a major part of #! IMO.

And +1 to damo's comment about @hhh who's responsible for most of what BL looks like today. cool

(Some day I'd like to try to throw together an alternative pure black setup, like the original #! - graphically a sort of continuation of the world of the terminal. Just for fun, and when things settle down...)

#98 2020-05-04 16:40:05

Runion2

rbh wrote:
Runion2 wrote:

[...]I have tried several different ways, it gets to the network load, then the screen goes blank and freezes.

Du you connect with cable or wiffi? Have you tried both?

You can try use linux compatible usb nic. Here is a list: https://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Ethernet_adapters.
It is a low cost and very good in emegencys.
As you have noted, there is support for your network, if you just can install.

The install fail happens when installing from a USB or DVD live media.  This only happens with the BL Lithium distro.
-- NOTE:   I have most of my concerns about the BL Lithium distro under control OTHER than it cannot be installed.

It seems to work like the normal operating system from the LIVE USB and DVD, much better than most other LIVE distros, and for that reason I think I will be keeping it as the LIVE USB / DVD for emergency use should my system have a problem.

As this is a test version of Lithium, and I assume it is the latest version downloaded from BunsenLabs with the same install problem, that is I can't install it at all, I have given up on attempting install.
Note: install was attempted with the BL Lithium distro on several Lenovo M91P desktop computers with I7 Processor.  Previous install was successful with BL Helium but that version did not accept FlASH from any source, hence my attempts to move up with BL Lithium.

Thanks for your help, I appreciated it.

#99 2020-05-04 16:53:51

Runion2

eight.bit.al wrote:
Runion2 wrote:

- Someone asked about a chip number?  not sure what you are asking but in my mind, the problem is in the distro.

That was me; in this post. Also, in the following post after mine, rbh asked if you were connecting by LAN or WIFI. You didn't answer either question.

You posted the same issue in a second post. I refured you to your original post, and asked for you to reply with the needed info. Now, your third post...

It's important for us to help you, that you to make the effort to provide the info requested. And BTW, the GRRRrrs and typing in all caps does not inspire anyone to help your cause.

The error you're having is rare, only happens to a few computers. In my experience with this issue, the problem starts with the installer provided by Debian that BunsonLabs inherits. If I can gather enough information about the issue, I can file a bug report with Debian. I have two machines that have the same issue. I've seen a few more cases of this issue on the Net.

8bit

I dont' know what chip is being used in my (COMPUTERS) that is plurral, that will not allow install of the BL Lithium distro.  I should mention, I am not a tech but I can usually get my computers running if there is a problem, usually software, sometimes hardware.  I am recent transplant from Windows.

The computers are Lenovo M91P desktops with I7 processors.

Perhaps I should note that I am using both live USB and live DVD media when the install was attempted.

The BL Lithium runs well as a LIVE USB or DVD, but still will not install.
I have now abandoned this attempt to install this distro, However I would be happy to help you try to find the cause of this problem.
I do not frequent this site often but my email is available if you wish assistance from me for additional information to find this (what I feel is a ) bug should you need some info from the terminal.

#100 2020-05-04 17:31:12

justme

Hi guys,

I put the lithium iso on linuxtracker if you don't mind.
Having a torrent is always good even for beta version wink
https://linuxtracker.org/?page=torrent- … 34b018f800

And of course I agree with you guys, the crunchbang theme for the forum is just sooo good smile
That's literally one of the first thing I did after the registration trying those good themes available, the official one should be way darker but I know this kind of taste is not for everyone ^^

Board footer