You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-08 20:44:07

jjanderson5

[SOLVED]Cannot login - Login page recycles

I have a fresh install of Lithium 2.1 on a 32-bit host. The installation seemed to go ok, but when I restart the computer:

1) the BL login screen comes
   2) I try to login
   3) the login screen recycles, similar to if I typed in the wrong password.

I have tried the BL login screen multiple times to verify that it is not working.

If I restart the computer and login using the BunsenLabs tty login option my loginID/passwd work correctly.

Any suggestions on what I can try next?

Jim Anderson

Last edited by jjanderson5 (2021-08-09 03:11:19)

#2 2021-08-09 03:10:56

jjanderson5

Re: [SOLVED]Cannot login - Login page recycles

My system crashed and the o/s software was messed up, hence I reinstalled BL on the host. After going through a few cycles of reinstalling the software and not being able to log in, I speculated that there could  have been damage done to my login directory. So, on my hard disk, I moved my login directory to a safe spot and then created a new, but empty login directory.

When I re-stalled BL again, I was able to log in. So something in my old login directory has gone bad. I will gradually move software from my old login directory to the new login directory and hopefully I can eventually isolate the real cause of my problem. For now, I have a working solution.

#3 2021-08-09 10:05:10

rbh

jjanderson5 wrote:

So something in my old login directory has gone bad.

One usual cause of not being able to log in is if there is not enough free space on home partition.

Last edited by rbh (2021-08-09 10:05:41)

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#4 2021-08-21 23:53:49

silverlake

I've just installed bunsenlabs on a 32 bit box and set it up as a samba server. The default user works fine, but I'm having difficulty setting up another user. I've opened a terminal and done a useradd and I've set a password. I've also added the user to all of the same groups that the default user belongs to. However when I try to logon with the new user id (the new user is listed on the BL login screen) - the login screen recycles - not like with an incorrect password - there is no message. Is there something else I must do?

Board footer