You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-31 14:22:55

evnchn

[SOLVED] Main menu submenu crashing issue

(Note: I have searched on Google for solution, with various keywords, all to no avail. The version I first used, helium 4, does not have this issue)

Device: ASUS Eee PC 701, 512MB RAM, fully stock, no mods.

Bug description: For example, if you navigate to Applications, you cannot navigate to any of the menus like "BL utilities", "Places", etc. The menu will disappear

Debug attempts: A hint that may indicate where the problem lies is, when quickly moving the mouse pointer and navigating to the "Graphics" submenu of "Applications", other submenu items of "Applications" will become inaccessible, despite the mouse should get to quite a few submenus first before reaching "Graphics". This means the bug may have to do with rendering the submenus, where if you quickly skip over the rest of the menus, it does not attempt a render and no bug is triggered.

Workaround for this problem before a fix: Carefully navigate the mouse around the submenu items and only go to the one you want.

All help is appreciated.

Last edited by evnchn (2021-01-10 04:56:31)

#2 2020-12-31 14:38:39

damo
....moderator....

Re: [SOLVED] Main menu submenu crashing issue

What happens if you disable compositing? If you can't access it via Menu > Preferences, run this command in a terminal

bl-compositor --stop

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2020-12-31 15:09:53

rbh

Another workaround is to use the keybord for navigating the menu. That also saves you from getting "mousearm".

I gues this is your model:, https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/Eee%20PC%20701SDXP, with win-key. Els you have to edit .xbindkeysrc

// Regards rbh

Please read before requesting help: Guide to getting help,
Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#4 2020-12-31 18:18:20

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

@evnchn
Thanks for reporting this.
Are you running on Lithium?
Please could you open a terminal, run the following and show us the output.

killall jgmenu
jgmenu_run

Please could you also try with default config (for example by temporarily renaming the the ~/.config/jgmenu/ directory so that jgmenu can’t find it)

#5 2021-01-01 03:23:12

evnchn

I am indeed running Lithium, but somehow I forgot to mention it. Sorry. I am using the 701 model, not 701SD, so I have Xandros as default and no Windows key.

On running:

bl-compositor --stop

it complains compton is missing. Installing compton and running the script temporarily hides the taskbar. Menu crashing issue persists.

On running

killall jgmenu
jg_menu run

it says:

warn: found old lockfile; lockfile removed
warning: XSupportsLocale(): error setting locale
warning: XSetLocaleModifiers(): error setting locale
Segmentation fault

Where the segmentation fault is triggered upon (a) navigating submenu or (b) using the keyboard to navigate.

The problem may be the RAM is not enough, but the RAM is nowhere near full, and navigating menus should not take too much. There may be a bug that makes this issue only reproducable on 512MB RAM machines. I may test this hypothesis by going to the computer mall and buying 2GB DDR2 RAM, but I don't think it is available and I don't want to get laughed at.

Extra information: renaming the configuration for jgmenu does not resolve the problem

EDIT: added code tags to make it easier to read. BBCode support was not indicated to be present

Last edited by evnchn (2021-01-01 05:57:38)

#6 2021-01-01 06:20:35

damo
....moderator....

It would seem that you have a non-standard system, since compton is installed as a component of BL.

#7 2021-01-01 07:16:05

evnchn

damo wrote:

It would seem that you have a non-standard system, since compton is installed as a component of BL.

I used the 32-bit ISO. Checked hash and it is correct on download. Non-standard or not, the problem exists somehow and somewhere in jgmenu itself. Anyone would be capable of debugging the program?

Extra information: I did not run bl-welcome since it says it may break my debian install. EDIT: but if I recall correctly, this is the second installation and in the first installation, I did ran bl-welcome and the problem is still there.

Last edited by evnchn (2021-01-01 07:29:30)

#8 2021-01-01 11:43:21

rbh

evnchn wrote:

More install errors.

Segmentation fault

I do not think that is a bug, as no one else gets that. Probaly it is something wrong with your hardware/installation.

The problem may be the RAM is not enough,

I have one IBM X30 with 512 MB ram, that works flawless.

There may be a bug that makes this issue only reproducable on 512MB RAM machines. I may test this hypothesis by going to the computer mall and buying 2GB DDR2 RAM, but I don't think it is available and I don't want to get laughed at.

Your computer manual should tell. You can also run program "dmidecode" (not installed by default), to find out memory socks, supported memory and installed memmory.
I did not find manual at Asus, but according to Asus Eee PC 701 Review, it is upgradable to 2 GB. That would cost you about 20$ from here: https://www.memorystock.com/memory/ASUSEeePC4G701.html.

Have you searched logs to se if you have more segment faults?
Until you have more memory, you should disable compton. Loook through the list of services (systemctl) to see what services you can disable if you have not done that.
I would just in case have ran memorydiagnostics.

Last edited by rbh (2021-01-01 11:45:04)

// Regards rbh

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop and other help topics under "Help Resources" on the BunsenLabs menu

#9 2021-01-01 12:03:16

ohnonot
...again

First of all I commend you on keeping this glorious little device alive & usable.

Please show us

which compton

and the full output of

bl-compositor --stop

(generally, always post full output, not just your summary)

IMO you shouldn't use a compositor on a system with such limited resources, but it's strange that it isn't installed.

Is your system working well otherwise?
So the problem is with jgmenu only?
I'm sure malm will be along shortly to help you with it, but you might want to consider using the standard openbox root menu instead. One less potential breaking point.

Also, if you don't have a Super/Windows key, you have to reconfigure most of your keybinds. And xcape.

Generally speaking you should look in your autostart (used to be in ~/.config/openbox, but I believe BL devs have found a  "better" place for that) and edit it accordingly.

Oh and I think you should definitely run the welcome script.

PS: How much "hard drive" space does this device offer for OS installation???

Last edited by ohnonot (2021-01-01 12:04:02)

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#10 2021-01-01 12:20:23

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

I think the problem is with

https://github.com/johanmalm/jgmenu/blo … nu.c#L2484

You're the third person with this problem over the last few weeks, and nobody has reported before, so there is something odd going on. The other people had reported that they hadn't set up their locales properly, and that once they did, the issues went away.
I can't reproduce it, and would be grateful if you could help us solve it. jgmenu should be able to handle it.

Could you post the output of

echo $LANG
set | grep LC

#11 2021-01-01 12:44:14

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

At a guess, the issue is with one of these:

x11-ui.c +147  XOpenIM()
x11-ui.c +262  XCreateIC()
jgmenu.c +1638 Xutf8LookupString()

#12 2021-01-01 12:51:53

evnchn

malm wrote:

Could you post the output of

echo $LANG
set | grep LC

Yes, here you go:

evnchn@debian:/sys/firmware/devicetree$ echo $LANG
en_HK.UTF-8
evnchn@debian:/sys/firmware/devicetree$ set | grep LC
MAILCHECK=60
    local LC_CTYPE=C;
    COMPREPLY+=($( compgen -W         "$( { LC_ALL=C ifconfig -a || ip addr show; } 2>/dev/null | command sed -ne             's/.*addr:\([^[:space:]]*\).*/\1/p' -ne             's|.*inet[[:space:]]\{1,\}\([^[:space:]/]*\).*|\1|p' )"         -- "$cur" ))
            local argtype=$( LC_ALL=C $1 --help 2>&1 | command sed -ne                 "s|.*$prev\[\{0,1\}=[<[]\{0,1\}\([-A-Za-z0-9_]\{1,\}\).*|\1|p" );
        COMPREPLY=($( compgen -W "$( LC_ALL=C $1 --help 2>&1 |             command sed -ne 's/.*\(--[-A-Za-z0-9]\{1,\}=\{0,1\}\).*/\1/p' | sort -u )"             -- "$cur" ));
    COMPREPLY+=($(         { LC_ALL=C ifconfig -a || ip link show; } 2>/dev/null | command sed -ne         "s/.*[[:space:]]HWaddr[[:space:]]\{1,\}\($re\)[[:space:]].*/\1/p" -ne         "s/.*[[:space:]]HWaddr[[:space:]]\{1,\}\($re\)[[:space:]]*$/\1/p" -ne         "s|.*[[:space:]]\(link/\)\{0,1\}ether[[:space:]]\{1,\}\($re\)[[:space:]].*|\2|p" -ne         "s|.*[[:space:]]\(link/\)\{0,1\}ether[[:space:]]\{1,\}\($re\)[[:space:]]*$|\2|p"
                LC_ALL=C "$( dequote "$cmd" )" ${2:---help} 2>&1
                LC_ALL=C "$( dequote "$cmd" )" ${2:---usage} 2>&1

#13 2021-01-01 13:17:58

evnchn

Thank you all for helping me.

I have attempted to change the locale to something else, but en_HK.UTF-8 and C.UTF-8 are the only options. Nonetheless, it is still crashing.

For the RAM, I am running the memory test from the installation USB stick. EDIT: no errors. I will check for a corrupted install by running the live USB right after that. EDIT: jgmenu is completely fine but the locales available are just en_US.UTF-8 (selected) and C.UTF-8. For memory upgrade, max 1024MB is possible only. Yet, I can only buy 2048MB RAM on Taobao. I hope the larger capacity won't break things.

PS reply: installation was 2GB, if I recall correctly

I have difficulty copying the output to this mobile device I'm posting it on. I'll try telnet or ssh.

I'll run the welcome script or attempt a reinstall of jgmenu. EDIT: tried both, issue persists. I think I'll use openbox menu if nothing else works, hope that's not the case.

Last edited by evnchn (2021-01-01 14:07:19)

#14 2021-01-01 13:30:55

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

What happens if you run

killall jgmenu
LANG=C jgmenu_run

#15 2021-01-01 13:39:01

evnchn

malm wrote:

What happens if you run

killall jgmenu
LANG=C jgmenu_run

Works a bit then. Including type to search and submenus

I'll look for ways to override the main menu behaviour to LANG=C for now, but I am still curious to why en_HK.UTF-8 breaks things.

EDIT: Just when I was exiting the menu I had

Badness in run() at src/jgmenu.c:2278
Segmentation fault

This problem is triggered by quickly navigating through submenus of the same level ("Applications" through to "Display keybinds")
The problem is not totally solved yet

Last edited by evnchn (2021-01-01 13:43:18)

#16 2021-01-01 13:46:42

evnchn

ohnonot wrote:

Please show us

which compton

and the full output of

bl-compositor --stop

(generally, always post full output, not just your summary)

Yes. First one is

/usr/bin/compton

and the second one returns no output.

Btw: I want this device to live to 2038, either it will get through Y2K38, or just pass away.

Last edited by evnchn (2021-01-01 13:51:32)

#17 2021-01-01 14:36:01

evnchn

Temporary fix: hover_delay = 200 in jgmenurc and adding LANG=en_HK in .xbindkeysrc

#18 2021-01-01 19:05:57

rbh

evnchn wrote:

I have attempted to change the locale to something else, but en_HK.UTF-8 and C.UTF-8 are the only options.

? You are not living in Hongkong, and would like another english locales? Have you run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales". Then you shall be albe to choose among roughly 500 locales...

the live USB [...]. EDIT: jgmenu is completely fine but the locales available are just en_US.UTF-8 (selected) and C.UTF-8.

In BL live session, you change keyboard with "setxkbmap" See Changing keyboard layout variant using Lxkeymap.

For memory upgrade, max 1024MB is possible only. Yet, I can only buy 2048MB RAM on Taobao. I hope the larger capacity won't break things.
PS reply: installation was 2GB, if I recall correctly

Have you run command

$ sudo dmidecode --type memory | more

to see what bios report about total maximal installable memory, maximal memory per bank and actual installed?

I think I'll use openbox menu if nothing else works, hope that's not the case.

The old default menu was static. If you prefer dynamic menus, you have to read Dynamic menus on BunsenLabs - a comprehensive guide

I think you have (among other problems), something wrong with your locales. Maybe you should try to reinstal? see https://wiki.debian.org/Locale.

Else, make a total reinstallation.
BTW, on https://www.memorystock.com/memory/ASUSEeePC4G701.html, you can order 512 MB, 1-2GB SODIMS.

Last edited by rbh (2021-01-01 19:10:07)

// Regards rbh

#19 2021-01-01 19:18:56

rbh

If you have installed and run "localepurge", there might be none other than chosen locales... Just to save space.

Last edited by rbh (2021-01-01 19:32:01)

// Regards rbh

#20 2021-01-01 22:52:22

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

@envchn
I reproduced the segfault by trying jgmenu on an old+slow raspberry pi.
I reproduced the XSupportLocale() error by enabling en_HK.utf8 and then running "LANG=en_HK.UTF-8 jgmenu_run".
I have pushed a couple of commits to the github repo. These should fix both issues. For the latter, we simply fallback to LANG=C for any locale that is not supported by X.

Any chance you could try out these fixes before we up-version?

sudo apt install git gcc make pkg-config
cd $HOME
git clone https://github.com/johanmalm/jgmenu.git
cd jgmenu
./scripts/install-debian-dependencies.sh
./configure --prefix=$HOME
make
make install
killall jgmenu
jgmenu_run

Assume you have $HOME/bin in $PATH (check with `echo $PATH`)

#21 2021-01-02 02:01:18

evnchn

To malm:

I'll do the testing and report to you. Afterwards, I'll reinstall BL after I check my USB stick for a correct hash to prevent corrupted installs and act as an end user to see whether the official updated version works. Also, I'm thinking about how to let the user know of the error more easily. Since as an end user you may not even know it is a segmentation error that causes this. Try and spell my name though, it is tricky for a reason I can't say smile

Test completed: No problems with original hover_delay. Please tell me if the official version is up, I'll install it

To rbh:

I was trying to change locale for testing only, so I didn't really look into the proper way of doing so. Thank you for reminding me though. The RAM really shows 1GB as max though, and I maybe know why since previously ASUS may have compiled a BIOS and used a Linux kernel in their Xandros OS that only reports 1GB as max (I heard that somewhere). I think it'll be no problem if I buy 2GB sticks. Yet, I can't buy from your website since I can really only access Taobao conveniently. Thank you for your suggestions though.

Note: current evidence points to 32-bit version is not good. Is it really that 64-bit version can install on my device given I'm running 32-bit? EDIT: nope, but I still wonder are there any other things missing for 32-bit installs

Last edited by evnchn (2021-01-02 02:39:11)

#22 2021-01-02 06:25:27

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ohnonot wrote:

...autostart (used to be in ~/.config/openbox, but I believe BL devs have found a  "better" place for that)

BL's default autostart is ~/.config/bunsen/autostart (Menu: Preferences > BunsenLabs > Edit autostart )
Reasons for change:
1) Makes switch to other window manager much easier.
2) Allows vanilla OpenBox session to co-exist, continuing to use ~/.config/openbox/autostart.

( Each user is free to consider that "better" or otherwise. smile )

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#23 2021-01-02 14:12:31

sleekmason
zoom

johnraff wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

...autostart (used to be in ~/.config/openbox, but I believe BL devs have found a  "better" place for that)

BL's default autostart is ~/.config/bunsen/autostart (Menu: Preferences > BunsenLabs > Edit autostart )
Reasons for change:
1) Makes switch to other window manager much easier.
2) Allows vanilla OpenBox session to co-exist, continuing to use ~/.config/openbox/autostart.

( Each user is free to consider that "better" or otherwise. smile )

You have my interest up:)

You keep saying it is going to be easier, but I can't see how.

Menus come standard in any manager you would use, and changing over to jgmenu should be really simple at the build level.

Right now, it's kinda hard to find your way around in BL when used to standard paths for common items in Debian. (killall compton? vs. bl-compositor --stop) <-- Bad example but right idea.

Guess I don't get it, but that's okay too.  No doubt Bunsenlabs is at the top of the list for outstanding distros. Really an incredible piece of work:)

#24 2021-01-02 15:34:42

damo
....moderator....

^ You can change WM at login and configure it to your liking. Or set the bunsenlabs-session to use a different WM, keeping your menu, keybinds and autostarted applications independent of it.

From ~/.config/bunsen/autostart

## WINDOW MANAGER
## Do not edit the next line unless you have also installed any
## necessary other programs for the different window manager,
## and edited the window-manager-dependent section later in this file.
## Use the window manager's actual command, not name:
window_manager=openbox

#25 2021-01-03 05:04:11

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^^ also have a look at

man bunsenlabs-session

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Board footer