You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-07 12:44:09

rousara

Changing keyboard layout variant using Lxkeymap.

Hello,

Since I run BunsenLabs from USB, I need to change keyboard layout every time I log in.

Having done numerous searches regarding this issue and finding no acceptable solution, I have resorted to using the Lxkeymap application and it words great.

Additionally, as my internet connection is not the best I carry the relevant deb packages on my USB and install using gDebi.

The packages are part of the Ubuntu Universe Xenial xereus repository and can be easily downloaded along with its's 4 dependencies here https://pkgs.org/download/lxkeymap. Less than 2MB total.

The sequence of installation is important and as follows (Steps 1-5 via gDebi):
1. libpangox-1.0-0_0.0.2-5+b2_i386.deb
2. libpango1.0-0_1.40.5-1_i386.deb
3. python-gobject_3.22.0-2_all.deb
4. python-xklavier_0.4-4_i386.deb
5. lxkeymap_0.8.0~bzr25+repack-0ubuntu2_all.deb
6. Run Program .... lxkeymap

If this helps someone then my goal has been achieved.

Naturally, I would like to suggest that to improve usability Lxkeymap or similar with GUI be included in upcoming editions.

Thanks.

Good Distro and thanks for continued 32-bit support and automatic WiFi detection for older machines (b43, broadcom 802.11on Dell Latitude 610)

#2 2019-06-08 00:24:49

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Changing keyboard layout variant using Lxkeymap.

Have you tried the terminal command setxkbmap?

My keyboard is the Japanese layout, and on live sessions etc (where the keyboard layout might be something else) I can set it with

setxkbmap jp

but apart from national layouts there are many other options available, see 'man setxkbmap'. That utility is already installed on your system.

The GUI application Lxkeymap is unfortunately for Ubuntu only, and is not available for Debian-based systems like BunsenLabs. While it may be possible to download and install .deb files intended for Ubuntu this is in general not at all recommended, especially when, as in the above case, various dependent libraries are also needed. Those libraries might displace the previously installed Debian versions and cause problems for other applications that use them.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Board footer