You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-11 22:04:37

trilobite

Anyone installed Zoom successfully?

I tried the debian package they provide and also the tarball.  Both get "cannot execute binary file: Exec format error" when I try.

{Linux-using people I haven't met are friends yet to be made.}

#2 2020-09-12 05:53:39

rbh

Re: Anyone installed Zoom successfully?

trilobite wrote:

I tried the debian package they provide and also the tarball.  Both get "cannot execute binary file: Exec format error" when I try.

The 8+ version that came this summer, works ok on Buster. I tested install on another pc just now. Went ok.

The deb-package gives error about unmet depenencies. Running "apt -f install" fix that.

// Regards rbh

#3 2020-09-12 06:17:47

rbh

Btw, I instaled deb with command dpkg. If I had installed with apt, dependecies should have been installed direct.

Can your downloads been corrupted? The error you got, is it when you install or does it install correct and the error is when you start program?

// Regards rbh

#4 2020-09-12 22:52:55

trilobite

Maybe.  I have 4 elderly machines I'm playing with right now.  It installed on the other 3 after I tried the first one.  My pattern to install on one machine and try to solve all the problems before proceeding to the next.  Your post got me to move along sooner.  The error is on starting the program.  I think I may start that machine over.  I may also put a stop watch on a Helium install. I don't think it takes more than 15 mins.

#5 2021-02-03 15:20:44

scoobyscrub

I never had any issues installing it, but when using Zoom the screen flickers intermittently for as long as I'm in a meeting and it's driving me insane. Anyone else experienced this?
Since this a different issue it might warrant a new thread, but I figure I'd try posting here first since it is Zoom related.

#6 2021-02-04 02:25:02

phuturism

I was running Zoom (not on BL, archlabs) using bspwm as a windows manager.  All worked fine except when the window was small picture on top - if i maximised it to full screen, it would disappear completely although voice etc was still audible.

Solved this problem using picom as the compositor instead of compton, you might want to try it.

https://fbrs.io/picom_and_zoom

Last edited by phuturism (2021-02-04 02:27:09)

#7 2021-02-04 06:20:24

ohnonot
...again

I had a few jitsi conferences on a Linux laptop, no problems at all, even though I never use compositing.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#8 2021-02-04 07:02:04

phuturism

ohnonot wrote:

I had a few jitsi conferences on a Linux laptop, no problems at all, even though I never use compositing.

Unfortunately I work with corporate clients who have their own preferences - Zoom - linux client not bad apart from those problems mentioned above, MS Teams - again the client seems to work OK.   You can use a browser for either of these but I found it wasn't great.   My company uses google meet which again works fine but if I run it in Chrome gets the laptop incredibly hot.   I run it in either firefox or (gulp) microsoft-edge for linux which is chrome based but I assume has less crap in it, at least now.

#9 2021-02-04 10:06:17

Martin
Website

My employer uses MS Teams and it works quite well on my Ubuntu-derived work-Linux. Yes, I can (still??) opt for Linux as an option to MS.

I have heard good things about jitsi but never used it.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#10 2021-02-04 19:30:27

trilobite

I did get Zoom working.  Downloaded again and it worked.

Re other video platforms, I've used and me review:

Jitsi - I like it, very simple

MS Teams - It works okay.  The calendar and time is always wrong.  Defaults for me to UTC/GMT.  No option to change it.  MS is silly.

Webex - also works. Seems similar to MS Teams.

Google Hangouts - works okay. Like Zoom. I avoid everything Google on principle.

#11 2021-03-06 01:21:31

Davy
Website

Zoom works fine for me except for the fact that it installs ibus as a dependency and it sets my keyboard to en-us and I can't seem to find a way of changing it back short of uninstalling it.

#12 2021-05-11 06:02:25

Martin
Website

I might want to attend a Zoom-hosted talk tomorrow. Is it possible to do that without installing Zoom? Zoom is a no no on job computer for security reasons which makes me reluctant to install it on my own computer...

/Martin

Piet Hein

#13 2021-05-11 08:06:25

twoion
ほやほや

Martin wrote:

I might want to attend a Zoom-hosted talk tomorrow. Is it possible to do that without installing Zoom? Zoom is a no no on job computer for security reasons which makes me reluctant to install it on my own computer...

/Martin

I have done that before, in Google Chrome. One year ago, for the live of it I couldn't get it to work in Firefox. You won't be able to use advanced features though, but that will be OK unless you're presenting.

Nassdachs

#14 2021-05-11 08:58:41

phuturism

yep, run it through the browser.  I've run it on bunsenlabs and archlabs through browser, can't remember if I used chrome or firefox.

#15 2021-05-11 09:16:50

Martin
Website

Thanks guys. No Google Chrome on private computer though.

/Martin

Piet Hein

#16 2021-05-11 19:32:24

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

phuturism wrote:

yep, run it through the browser.  I've run it on bunsenlabs and archlabs through browser, can't remember if I used chrome or firefox.

Yes I've attended some Zoom and Webex meetings via both my work and my personal computers thru the browser. Works for me on both Chrome(ium) and Firefox on both BL and Windows.

Real Men Use Linux

#17 2021-05-12 03:51:30

ohnonot
...again

FWIW, I had to enable media.webrtc.hw.h264.enabled to get a picture when video conferencing with FF-ESR.
There might be a few more webrtc settings that bear checking out.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)

#18 2021-05-12 06:40:06

Naik

Hey there,

I actually run zoom (installed from the .deb they provide) on my BL install within firejail. Only for private meetings and I don`t know if firejail is of any help there, but it works quite well and I never got any trouble as I had with the webapp (which had no microphone on my setup with bluetooth headphones, and the worst glitching bit of video ever) on firefox-esr.

BTW I simply installed it via gdebi-gtk without any issues...

naik --greetz

"Kaum macht [Mensch]* es richtig, funktioniert es sofort!"
BL-Kitchen on GitHub

#19 2021-05-12 17:19:20

Martin
Website

I am attending said talk right now. Zoom through FF worked right away with no tweaking whatsoever.

/Martin

Piet Hein

Board footer