You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-28 19:28:53

grubernd

Lockscreen blackout or not

Hi..

running Lithium (from RC3, fully updated) on my production machine for the frist time is a great experience overall. Eight days of simplistic well designed bliss.

One issue I have is that the automatic lockscreen is showing a rather annoying random behaviour:

It either switches the screen to black and upon mouse movement or starting to type the password it turns the screen back on and shows the regular lightdm login screen with wallpaper and everything. So much for the expected part.

When it doesn't do that, it keeps the screen completely turned off. I can type my password in blindly, hit Enter and only then the screen turns on while the desktop comes back.

Anyone else seeing this?

Not sure where the issue lies or how to debug it. Any help appreciated.

Edit: this is on a Lenovo ThinkPad x230 (2013) with second screen attached

Last edited by grubernd (2020-07-28 19:31:10)

#2 2020-07-28 20:35:20

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: Lockscreen blackout or not

What settings are you using in xfce4-power-manager-settings, the Display and Security screens? Lithium doesn't have a screensaver, maybe set that to "Never" under the Security tab? Or did you install a screensaver?

-edit- More discussion here...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=6837

#3 2020-07-28 21:32:30

rbh

grubernd wrote:

One issue I have is that the automatic lockscreen is showing a rather annoying random behaviour:
[...]
Not sure where the issue lies or how to debug it. Any help appreciated.
Edit: this is on a Lenovo ThinkPad x230 (2013) with second screen attached

It is not an BunsenLab problem, more a debian problem. Not so uncommon.

But, if you do need screenlock, you can test update to latest debian kernel from the backports repository.

Add to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-backports main contrib non-free

or change adress to your apropriate debian mirror.

Then in terminal run:

sudo apt update
sudo apt -t buster-backports install linux-image-amd64

That will upgrade the kernel from version 4.19+105+deb10u4 to 5.6.14-2~bpo10+1.

If that does not help, you migt need to upgrade dispy drivers also from backports.

// Regards rbh

#4 2020-08-04 06:05:27

grubernd

Well, I figured out it got nothing to do with BL at all.
I even think it has nothing special to do with debian herself.

This seems to be a really nice and well distributed bug. Some weird interaction of lightdm (we did nothing wrong™) and power-management (we want all the power™) and Intel laptop motherboards (because we do things a little bit different™).

I guess it could be debugged but in the end it's a solid group effort of NotOurProblem™.

Sorry for the disturbance.

#5 2020-08-05 07:18:19

ohnonot
...again
Website

rbh, I don't think backported packages will help on a 7-year old thinkpad.

grubernd wrote:

Well, I figured out it got nothing to do with BL at all.
I even think it has nothing special to do with debian herself.

This seems to be a really nice and well distributed bug. Some weird interaction of lightdm (we did nothing wrong™) and power-management (we want all the power™) and Intel laptop motherboards (because we do things a little bit different™).

I guess it could be debugged but in the end it's a solid group effort of NotOurProblem™.

Sorry for the disturbance.

Yes, it could've been debugged and at least two people here signalled that they are willing to help with sth that is not their problem, but you never followed up.

FWIW, I'd take a long hard look at the systemd journal first.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#6 2020-08-05 07:45:53

grubernd

ohnonot wrote:

Yes, it could've been debugged and at least two people here signalled that they are willing to help with sth that is not their problem, but you never followed up.

FWIW, I'd take a long hard look at the systemd journal first.

Oh, that came out wrong, me thinks. The group effort of "not my problem" was directed towards the lightdm - powermanagement - intelchip combo. Not this forum. Everything is fine with the fine people here. smile

My personal digging hints this particular combo to have some weird interactions. I can't pin it down and I won't put in the effort because well, it is not mission critical. Btw, this issue seems to be around longer than my laptop. I found some notes deep in my know-how markdown files that are several years old. Probably one of the apps sending the right signals at the wrong time.

"You never followed up" - seriously? Well, not everyone reads all forums all the time. Especially those that require the thread-openener (!!) to tick the "subscribe to this thread" button. Where can I suggest an improvement to the UX?

And you brought another contender into play, because systemd can always be blamed. wink

So to conclude once more:
it has nothing to do with BL,
it will not be solved anytime soon
but that doesn't really matter.

#7 2020-08-05 08:15:18

rbh

ohnonot wrote:

Well, I'm convinced it should not be ruled out. My desktop has an M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 mb. Itś about 10 yers old. A year ago, it suddenly could not hibernate/suspend. It started to sleep, but went online again. After installing backport kernel, it behaved just as it should.

// Regards rbh

#8 2020-08-05 17:59:54

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ OK, I will keep it in mind.

grubernd wrote:

"You never followed up" - seriously? Well, not everyone reads all forums all the time. Especially those that require the thread-openener (!!) to tick the "subscribe to this thread" button. Where can I suggest an improvement to the UX?

Are you aware of the Posted link near the top right?

my repos / my repos

#9 2020-08-05 18:52:14

grubernd

ohnonot wrote:

Are you aware of the Posted link near the top right?

I am. Have been a mod on various boards, so I know the tools. But you have to log in and use it. This board is not (yet) on my "newspaper" I read every morning. smile

And I was surprised by the default non-subscription for thread-openers, something I consider a rather unpleasant user experience. After not getting a mail after a week I logged in again and checked and saw and changed the default automatic subscription setting.

#10 2020-08-06 07:20:07

ohnonot
...again
Website

Despite having been a mod on various boards you found it in the end, good.
I'd hate to get spammed by emails from this forum, but to each their own I guess.

my repos / my repos

#11 2020-08-06 07:29:28

grubernd

ohnonot wrote:

Despite having been a mod on various boards you found it in the end, good.

The sarcasm is strong in this young one. smile

#12 2020-08-06 08:58:31

rbh

Back on track...

What is the status of your problem?

Updating kernel from bckport, did not change anything?
Do you still key in your password "in darkness" due top dependency of screenlock?, or have you circumvent the prolem with for example disabling lightlocker?

Last edited by rbh (2020-08-06 08:59:03)

// Regards rbh

#13 2020-08-06 09:16:18

grubernd

The current status is "Later".

Since the whole "screen stays black" is random with no apparent pattern yet, I don't have the time to dig into that debug at the moment. Setting up a blank system, turning apps off and on, installing packages, removing packages, starting with a fresh system again and so on - all the things that might be required for a solid debug.

I made a note into my calendar for late November when I might be able to free a machine from work. We'll see.

Until then it's true touchtyping every now and then. smile

Board footer