You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-03 21:35:58

trilobite

Questions after Solving sound problem on old HP laptop

(This is a computer to give away to someone who needs one in the current pandemic lockdown.)

I formerly used Crunchbang to resurrect a wee netbook eeePC 901.  I was last here in 2017 the forum says.

Today I put Helium on this HP6910p laptop I'm typing on which is perhaps 2007 vintage.  Could not get sound.  Ended up

6910p$ sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio

which made it jump to full sound, very nice.  It showed the sound card, and is using alsa.

Questions I've got:

1. I'm being asked about DRM context, i.e., Netflix, what are people using for that?

2. I'm being asked about Google Chrome. And Chromium won't do for DRM apparently.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by trilobite (2020-06-03 21:40:38)

{Linux-using people I haven't met are friends yet to be made.}

#2 2020-06-04 02:05:08

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

Re: Questions after Solving sound problem on old HP laptop

Pulseaudio is rather temperamental on older hardware so I ditch it as well.

Real Men Use Linux

#3 2020-06-04 06:49:58

ohnonot
...again
Website

trilobite wrote:

1. I'm being asked about DRM context, i.e., Netflix, what are people using for that?

2. I'm being asked about Google Chrome. And Chromium won't do for DRM apparently.

1.: I believe Netflix on Firefox-ESR is possible. A Quick Search.
2.: I believe other browsers will "do" for DRM, too. My current Firefox has a checkbox with a helpful Learn more link. That said, Chrome is available for GNU/Linux (and now that I said this I need to wash my mouth with soap).

But most of all I think you should tell the person you're doing this for that they should curb their expectations significantly, for this 13 year old laptop.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#4 2020-06-04 16:55:36

trilobite

Thanks.  Netflix works on the ESR version of Firefox if you install widevine (whatever that is) and ensure the protected content thing is checked in its settings.  Playing, I also got the latest Firefox going alongside the ESR version. I'll probably leave it available for when Netflix does an "upgrade".

The computer is going to be used by a 90 year old to watch things and Jitsi video call during the lock down.  I'm not telling them much except how to make things go.

I have another HP almost identical, a Toshiba satellite and a Dell.  All same vintage. All free as in sunshine. They will all go to other shut in people.  I just got a "newer" HP desktop (it had windows7) which I'll chase down a monitor for.  May have more trouble giving that one away; bulkier than a lappy.

Anyhow, thanks for the help.

#5 2020-06-05 05:44:16

ohnonot
...again
Website

Great!
Tell us how Netflix & Jitsi perform on that HP6910p.

my repos / my repos
---

#6 2020-06-05 20:45:41

hhh
Meep!
Website

Also, cool that you chose Helium. We have a test ISO for Lithium/Buster (and another test ISO about to be released), but it's only 64 bit at the moment and will require editing sources when our Official Release comes out, so not good for give-away boxes to Linux n00bs. Thanks for using BunsenLabs!

#7 2020-06-06 15:25:22

trilobite

Everything seems to work now on this old lappy. I put the xfce GUI on it. It looks dated but is more functional for an oldster I think. Big icon banner in bottom middle by default.

Ran Netflix, Jitsi, Zoom, and Crave (I think Crave is a Canada only streaming service). It appears that Firefox-ESR is fine for everything. There's an objection banner which can be ignored for some of these.

I haven't tried the DVD drive. Not too useful in modernity.

Quite impressed overall with the distro. I tried antiX before Bunsen which didn't join me to the forum there. But it was wifi that wouldn't work there so I never got as far as testing everything else. I'll do the HP6930 lappy next. Should be simple.

Chose Helium for the reasons you note @hhh

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by trilobite (2020-06-06 15:26:20)

#8 2020-06-07 10:02:42

ohnonot
...again
Website

I am surprised to hear that Netflix is usable on a 2007/8 laptop (even though it seems to have been top of the notch back then).
:thumbs_up:

my repos / my repos
---

#9 2020-06-08 17:00:21

trilobite

Netflix is very crisp.  Fed it via VGA to an older flatscreen TV.  Of course there'd have to be something on Netflix worth watching....

This distro is pretty light on resource use.  yes :thumbs up:

Board footer