You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-05 12:54:14

plexure

Laptop is unusable after apt-get upgrade

Hi guys. been using bunsenlabs for 4 months or so. Yesterday i did sudo apt-get upgrade for the first time, and it downloaded like 1GB of stuff. Then, i did sudo dist-upgrade, and everything seemed to work fine. I rebooted my laptop and now i can't really use anything GUI. I tried to open Firefox, Thunar and other programs, and my system just hangs. I don't know what the problem is, and I'm starting to really get worried i'll lose all of my stuff. The terminal seems to work fine though. Can anyone help me solve this issue?
by the way, if you guys want me to show you terminal outputs I guess I'll just have to take a picture of the screen with my cellphone since no app seems to work on my laptop. I don't want to change the distro, or loose everything.

Thanks in advance smile

#2 2020-03-05 13:10:50

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

Re: Laptop is unusable after apt-get upgrade

^My first idea is that your disk is full. To check this, please post output of:

$ df -h

It will show disks/partition layout and free space.

Also, please post output of

$ apt-cache policy

just to see what is your setup configuration.

And, at the end, please tell us about your computer model, in particular graphics card.

EDIT:
One more thing ... please post output of

$ free -h

to see your RAM.

Last edited by iMBeCil (2020-03-05 13:11:56)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#3 2020-03-05 13:23:45

plexure

again, excuse me for the bad quality, i can't take screenshots because of the issue i mentioned in my first post. every output you asked for is here: https://imgur.com/a/vIUR6lP

I'm using a Lenovo Ideapad 500-15acz. by the way, here's something weird I noticed: i just ran pfetch, and instead of detecting bunsenlabs as it usually did, now it says Debian 10. weird...

#4 2020-03-05 13:45:38

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

^OK: it seems your sources ('apt-cache policy') are reason for your problems ... Your sources refer to both 'debian stable' and 'debian stretch'. At the moment of installing BL-Helium (also in your sources) both 'debian stable' and 'debian stretch' (aka Debian 9) were synonyms. However, over time, it changed; now the 'debian stable' is synonym for 'debian buster' (aka Debian 10). It means that your 'apt-get upgrade' fetched packages for Debian 10, on setup which was essentially Debian 9.

Hence the 'Debian 10' in your pfetch (I don't know what 'pfetch' is ...).

That's a mess, and frankly, I don't know how to get out of this. The main problem is that it is wxtremely dificult and time consuming to solve this remote - one would have to sit at the laptop ... The easiest way is:
1) make backup!!!!!!!
2) reinstall BL; I suggest using the newest BL-Lithium. It is based on Debian 10 (Buster). It is not yet official, but it seems to be working OK. See here for installing BL-Lithium, and for other details like what is missing, and small bugs/imperfections.

Perhaps, someone else here will have better idea ...

#5 2020-03-05 15:52:55

damo
....moderator....

iMBeCil wrote:

... The easiest way is:
1) make backup!!!!!!!
2) reinstall BL; I suggest using the newest BL-Lithium. It is based on Debian 10 (Buster). It is not yet official, but it seems to be working OK. See here for installing BL-Lithium, and for other details like what is missing, and small bugs/imperfections.

Perhaps, someone else here will have better idea ...

+1. Sorry @plexure, you have created a FrankenDebian sad

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#6 2020-03-05 16:00:34

plexure

thanks for being willing to help anyway, i'll backup my stuff and reinstall helium. i'll install lithium once it comes out.

How can i prevent this from happening in the future? should i just not run apt-get upgrade?

#7 2020-03-05 16:17:24

damo
....moderator....

plexure wrote:

thanks for being willing to help anyway, i'll backup my stuff and reinstall helium. i'll install lithium once it comes out.

How can i prevent this from happening in the future? should i just not run apt-get upgrade?

Don't use "stable" in your sources.list, when you also specify "stretch". When Stable became Buster, you mixed Stretch and Buster sources.

Look at the defaults for Helium in Basic Help & Support > Sources - Helium sources.list and backports details, which is right at the top of "Basic Help & Support".

#8 2020-03-05 16:40:01

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

plexure wrote:

What damo said ... and you can always run 'apt-get upgrade', or even better 'apt-get dist-upgrade', or even more better 'apt full-upgrade' (see recent discussion here about 'apt' and 'apt-get').

I suggest you ask here for advice, before doing 'apt/apt-get' next time, just to be sure. Someone is bound to answer it within a day ...

Last edited by iMBeCil (2020-03-05 16:40:32)

#9 2020-03-05 23:14:29

damo
....moderator....

^ apt-get commands can be used with -s | --simulate to do a dummy run. I usually do that first to see if there might be a problem.

#10 2020-03-06 08:12:57

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

^Good point ... although, I use apt's question 'Do you want to continue? [Y/n]' as a way to inspect what is going on, and then choose 'n' if anything is out of the ordinary  neutral

Board footer