You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-25 12:36:30

Digit
New Member
Registered: 2016-09-15
Posts: 1

devuan bunsenlabs?

what'd be some nice ways to go about getting a bunsenlabs experience atop a devuan base?

i imagine simple repository switching/adding might not be the cleanest approach.


(sorry if wrong forum section to post in, seemed a likely ammicable place for such a question)

Offline

#2 2020-01-25 13:11:23

twoion
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-08-10
Posts: 2,902

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

You might try adding our repo and installing the bunsen-* packages: https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation … ed-installhttps://www.bunsenlabs.org/repositories.html . You would likely need to match the devuan+debian+BL-releases (?? + 9 + helium), (?? + 10 + lithium).

Lithium (10) will have some binary packages, which will be compiled against Debian libraries, and of which I have no idea whether they are going to work or not.

Depending on how the finalized package deps of the bunsen-* packages are going to look like in Lithium/10, Lithium stuff might be uninstallable on anything that is not binary compatible with Debian 10.


Per aspera ad astra.

Offline

#3 2020-01-25 21:22:45

manyroads
Member
From: around here, somewhere
Registered: 2019-04-16
Posts: 62
Website

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

If you are hoping for a non-systemd Debian experience, I can say that both MXLinux and antiX work well with early Lithium repos I tried.  I do not know about the current libs.  The folks on those distros do an excellent job of providing backports and keeping things sync'ed with Debian stable.


Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads
dwm, bspwm, hlwm, openbox & xfce on Arch ~ Reg. Linux User #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Offline

#4 2020-03-19 11:43:59

linux_user
Member
Registered: 2016-11-04
Posts: 461

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

twoion wrote:

You might try adding our repo and installing the bunsen-* packages: https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation … ed-installhttps://www.bunsenlabs.org/repositories.html.

Reminds me to ask this question: what is the difference between bunsen-paper-theme and the normal paper theme? I see that Helium uses bunsen-paper-theme and there isn't any difference between the two as far as I see.


"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Offline

#5 2020-03-19 11:55:50

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,124

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

linux_user wrote:

...
Reminds me to ask this question: what is the difference between bunsen-paper-theme and the normal paper theme? I see that Helium uses bunsen-paper-theme and there isn't any difference between the two as far as I see.

The Paper-Bunsen iconset includes our BL distributor icon, and a fix for the xfce4 power icons. In the icon index.theme is

[Icon Theme]
Name=Paper-Bunsen
Comment=Substitute some icons in the Paper theme for BunsenLabs
Inherits=Paper

So using Paper-Bunsen adds some extras to Paper.


Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

#6 2020-03-19 11:59:15

linux_user
Member
Registered: 2016-11-04
Posts: 461

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

damo wrote:

The Paper-Bunsen iconset includes our BL distributor icon, and a fix for the xfce4 power icons. In the icon index.theme is

[Icon Theme]
Name=Paper-Bunsen
Comment=Substitute some icons in the Paper theme for BunsenLabs
Inherits=Paper

So using Paper-Bunsen adds some extras to Paper.

Wow. I guess this is the reason why my Helium has a white icon for battery charging while my Debian (original paper theme) has a large green icon. I thought this was because of some other missing config of package since I am building upon bare min Debian. I will try adding the repos and using bunsen-paper in this.


"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Offline

#7 2020-03-19 12:31:54

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,124

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

^ Multiple issues like this is one of the reasons we are slow to put out a new iso hmm


Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

#8 2020-03-19 19:58:23

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,784
Website

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

linux_user wrote:

Wow. I guess this is the reason why my Helium has a white icon for battery charging while my Debian (original paper theme) has a large green icon.

The way Inherits works this should not happen, unless
- you don't have the Paper Icon theme installed at all
- Bunsen-Paper provides its own white battery icon


BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Offline

#9 2020-03-22 07:07:15

linux_user
Member
Registered: 2016-11-04
Posts: 461

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

damo wrote:

^ Multiple issues like this is one of the reasons we are slow to put out a new iso hmm

Yes, I understand. Honestly, all I care about is security updates and terminal applications updates even if it's Stretch. All packages serve the fundamental purposes I use them for, so bleeding edge isn't going to do me any much favor.

ohnonot wrote:

The way Inherits works this should not happen, unless
- you don't have the Paper Icon theme installed at all
- Bunsen-Paper provides its own white battery icon

In my debian machine, I have the paper icon theme installed, but I don't have bunsen-paper theme installed. Will be adding the bunsen repos and use bunsen-paper and bunsen-exit packages soon.

Last edited by linux_user (2020-03-22 07:10:04)


"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Offline

#10 2020-03-22 13:58:50

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 6,124

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

^ Or you could just get the icon theme from github, and add it to /icons
bunsen-paper-icon-theme


Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

#11 2020-03-22 14:08:48

linux_user
Member
Registered: 2016-11-04
Posts: 461

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

^ And that's what I did smile


"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Offline

#12 2020-03-23 06:59:00

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 7,146
Website

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

ohnonot wrote:
linux_user wrote:

Wow. I guess this is the reason why my Helium has a white icon for battery charging while my Debian (original paper theme) has a large green icon.

The way Inherits works this should not happen, unless
- you don't have the Paper Icon theme installed at all
- Bunsen-Paper provides its own white battery icon

BL does indeed provide its own white battery icon, and a couple of others, then uses inherit to get all the rest from Paper (or Papirus in Lithium).


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Offline

#13 2020-03-23 07:03:39

linux_user
Member
Registered: 2016-11-04
Posts: 461

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

So, the busen-paper package contains only the icons that is changed. The rest is 'inherited' from the original paper theme. In other words, bunsen-paper alone will not provide the entire icon set. You need both the packages.

Well, I have both the packages, but this information is new. Explains why both paper-icon and bunsen-paper is present in BL distros - because they sort complete each other. smile


"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Offline

#14 2020-03-23 07:17:56

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 7,146
Website

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

^correct.
bunsen-paper-icon-theme depends on paper-icon-theme so apt will automatically install the latter if you install the former.


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Offline

#15 2020-03-23 07:19:17

linux_user
Member
Registered: 2016-11-04
Posts: 461

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

Noted and thanks. I anyway had paper-icon and then downloaded bunsen-paper from github and placed it in /usr/themes/icon.


"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Offline

#16 2020-03-23 07:59:12

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 7,146
Website

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

^That probably works too, but safer to install the packages with apt. Certain post-install tweaks will be done automatically.


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Offline

#17 2020-03-23 08:00:53

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,784
Website

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

linux_user wrote:

So, the busen-paper package contains only the icons that is changed. The rest is 'inherited' from the original paper theme. In other words, bunsen-paper alone will not provide the entire icon set. You need both the packages.

Well, I have both the packages, but this information is new. Explains why both paper-icon and bunsen-paper is present in BL distros - because they sort complete each other. smile

Should be a no-brainer because apt will pull in Paper or Papirus as a dependency when installing bunsen-paper.

Last edited by ohnonot (2020-03-23 08:08:29)


BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Offline

#18 2020-03-23 08:02:09

linux_user
Member
Registered: 2016-11-04
Posts: 461

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

johnraff wrote:

^That probably works too, but safer to install the packages with apt. Certain post-install tweaks will be done automatically.

Less complicated as well: just apt install... and it's done. Also, the repos are going to help me with other bunsen packages.


"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Offline

#19 2020-03-23 08:08:40

linux_user
Member
Registered: 2016-11-04
Posts: 461

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

ohnonot wrote:

^ should be a no-brainer because apt will pull in Paper or Papirus as a dependency when installing bunsen-paper.

Yes, it's a no-brainer to someone who understands what 'inherits paper' meant in readme.md. smile I didn't know the meaning until now.


"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Offline

#20 2020-03-23 14:24:57

linux_user
Member
Registered: 2016-11-04
Posts: 461

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

damo wrote:

^ Or you could just get the icon theme from github, and add it to /icons
bunsen-paper-icon-theme

I am afraid that didn't work. So far I thought it worked which is why I gave the confirmation in early posts, but it's only now that battery started discharging and I noticed that I still have the old green battery icon for both discharging and charging.

I do have both Paper and Paper-Bunsen theme in lxappearance with Paper-Bunsen selected.
~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini and ~/.gtkrc-2.0 both confirmed that it's Paper-Bunsen.

johnraff mentioned about some post-install tweaks. Could this be the reason?

Now, I can try to solve it by installing the package as suggested by John using apt, and I will, but in the interest of knowing, any idea why is this happening?


"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Offline

#21 2020-03-24 08:47:54

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 4,784
Website

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

linux_user wrote:

Yes, it's a no-brainer to someone who understands what 'inherits paper' meant in readme.md. smile I didn't know the meaning until now.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/inherit wink


BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

Offline

#22 2020-03-24 08:50:39

linux_user
Member
Registered: 2016-11-04
Posts: 461

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

ohnonot wrote:
linux_user wrote:

Yes, it's a no-brainer to someone who understands what 'inherits paper' meant in readme.md. smile I didn't know the meaning until now.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/inherit wink

Point noted, mi'lord! big_smile


"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Offline

#23 2020-04-06 18:56:03

linux_user
Member
Registered: 2016-11-04
Posts: 461

Re: devuan bunsenlabs?

For the record,

I removed both bunsen-paper and paper-theme-icon packages from the system and and installed bunsen-paper using apt. As expected, it pulled the paper-theme-icon too and installed them in the system. My icon theme is set to bunsen-paper.

But, the green battery charging and discharging icon of the paper theme stills appears during the charge and discharge. I am not sure why the white battery charging/discharging icons from bunsen-paper are noto used. Working up on a bare min installation is difficult, I am confident that someday I'll stumble upon for the reason for this icon theme mis-match.


"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB