You are not logged in.

#101 2020-05-04 20:30:17

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: Lithium test iso available

Runion2 wrote:

Edit: If the Devs would say which image from Debian they build BL on, I'd like to check on this further.

We still use live-build. Lithium and all our builds to-date are built using debian non-free and contrib repos, including a lot of non-free audio-video codecs and WiFi drivers, notably the b43 Broadcom drivers, which the Debian "unofficial" ISOs do not include.

Debian "buster" live-build...

https://packages.debian.org/buster/live-build

We use a custom package list that includes non-free, contrib plus our bunsen packages, we customize the Debian installer, and that's it in terms of us being different from other Debian distrolets. We don't share our custom live-build config because it's one of the only things that make BL unique. That and it took me dozens and dozens of hours of research and trial-and-error builds before I figured out how to build an ISO with live-build. Nobody gets off easy if I can help it! You must suffer the pain of The Manual!

If you want to learn more about live-build, I suggest Kali Linux...

https://www.kali.org/

-edit- eight.bit.al originally asked the question, and I think I deleted runion's post that quoted it, and John already responded, so epic fail on my end. Sorry.

#102 2020-05-04 23:01:21

rbh

rbh wrote:

You can try use linux compatible usb nic. Here is a list: https://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Ethernet_adapters.

Runion2 wrote:

The install fail happens when installing from a USB or DVD live media.  This only happens with the BL Lithium distro.

When booting to live session, there is no installer...

It seems to work like the normal operating system from the LIVE USB and DVD,

So if you only can install, you should be able to run Lithium. You should bre abel to install Lithium with an linux compatible usb ethernet adapter. Or install Helium and upgrade to Litium.

// Regards rbh

#103 2020-05-06 22:07:32

eight.bit.al

I ordered and finally received a discreet NIC for testing; to bypass the Realtek chip on this mobo.
(Intel Pro 10/1000 Network PCXE-01 SFF NIC)

So now I'm looking for the latest iso.
Is it the one linked in the OP of this thread? - lithium-dev-4-amd64.hybrid.iso

TIA
8bit

If art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.

#104 2020-05-06 22:35:16

damo
....moderator....

eight.bit.al wrote:

So now I'm looking for the latest iso.
Is it the one linked in the OP of this thread? - lithium-dev-4-amd64.hybrid.iso

TIA
8bit

Yes.

But it looks like a new build may be imminent - @johnraff et al are finishing up some of the last ToDo's on the list, I believe.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#105 2020-05-07 00:08:52

hhh
Meep!
Website

damo wrote:

But it looks like a new build may be imminent - @johnraff et al are finishing up some of the last ToDo's on the list, I believe.

Yes, for what should be our last test build, after that will be the Official Release. No harm in installing what's available and running apt upgrade, you'll get the current build if you let the new BunsenLabs configs overwrite the old ones. The repo list will still use kelaino.bunsenlabs.org for now.

#106 2020-05-08 12:46:48

brogild

The majority of guides I've seen about doing a dist-upgrade are about doing this via the internet. Is there a straightforward way of doing this from the CD/DVD or USB drive? (if it's more complicated I probably won't bother).
I think the old Ubiquity installer facilitated this, but I know the Debian installer is more basic.

At present I'm sharing bandwidth and would like to keep my usage to a minimum. additionally, an internet outage could spoil the upgrade or at least complicate it.

Last edited by brogild (2020-05-08 12:53:41)

#107 2020-05-08 15:56:51

damo
....moderator....

You can't do an upgrade without getting the files from the repos, in one way or another. That is the whole point - you need to get the new versions.

You could investigate how to set up a local Debian archive, but then that itself would not be upgradeable without further downloads.

#108 2020-05-08 17:43:10

brogild

damo wrote:

You can't do an upgrade without getting the files from the repos, in one way or another. That is the whole point - you need to get the new versions.

You could investigate how to set up a local Debian archive, but then that itself would not be upgradeable without further downloads.

Surely they will be on the Lithium disk or USB once I've created it, probably not the very latest ones but they will be in sync as they were released together. Obviously subsequent updates will require Internet access, but I would have thought that the bulk of the upgrade could come off the disk/USB.

ETA: Just had a thought... are the 'files' in form of an image on the live USB/Disk, and therefore not available in the same way they are from the repos?

Last edited by brogild (2020-05-08 17:45:39)

#109 2020-05-08 21:44:58

rbh

Here is a good guide to Apt-Offline https://www.ostechnix.com/fully-update-upgrade-offline-debian-based-systems.

I have never used it, do not know if you can configure BunsenLab repos as Debian repos for offline update.
Should be possible to boot BL/Debian on an usb-hd, attched to a pc on the library or InternetCafe.

But, you could also just as well run apt-mirror from the USB-HD. It does not take so much space. Repos for Debian i386/amd64, oldstble,stable, testing and sid, takes about 500 GB. BL Helium and experimental Lithium takes only about 250 MB disk.

Apt-mirror is a little buggy, has no maintainer anymore. There i other maybe better alternative to apt-mirror.

Last edited by rbh (2020-05-09 16:36:26)

// Regards rbh

#110 2020-05-09 09:56:44

brogild

I think I may go for a fresh install. I think I was recalling using a Debian DVD (and probably early Ubuntu had this for a while), which had all the individual packages, and seemed to take very long time to install.

Now that things are installed from a live image it's a lot quicker, but the individual packages are not easily available.

#111 2020-05-09 10:44:19

damo
....moderator....

brogild wrote:

... but the individual packages are not easily available.

Certainly they are. This downloads a deb into the current directory...

apt-get download $PKGNAME

Anything that you already have installed will be kept in /var/cache/apt/archives/

#112 2020-05-09 11:50:30

brogild

damo wrote:

Anything that you already have installed will be kept in /var/cache/apt/archives/

I'll have to recheck this when I do a fresh install, but I seem to recall that after installing from a live USB/DVD (probably from my Lubuntu days), /var/cache/apt/archives/ is empty and it is only new downloads that appear there.

Anyway, now I have an extra incentive to do a fresh install, in order to check this. I'm waiting for the release candidate though

#113 2020-05-10 13:26:21

foyle

Any news or update on the official release of Lithium? Got Helium at the moment but want to do fresh install. Ive tried out the Test ISO and all good, but waiting excitedly for Lithium official smile

#114 2020-05-10 15:11:32

DeepDayze
Like sands through an hourglass...

This Lithium test ISO worked for me as I just built a new Ryzen 3 system. Installed happily to the NVMe drive and it boots FAST. To me this test ISO is pretty darn feature complete but I am sure the finished one will be even better smile

Real Men Use Linux

#115 2020-05-10 15:59:21

foyle

Yep know what you mean, totally agree Ive used the test iso since its release and never had any problems with it and tried it on 3 different PCs. i guess I could do a clean install with the test iso I have but might just hang on til the official release is around as that i presume will have all the creases ironed out....

DeepDayze wrote:

This Lithium test ISO worked for me as I just built a new Ryzen 3 system. Installed happily to the NVMe drive and it boots FAST. To me this test ISO is pretty darn feature complete but I am sure the finished one will be even better smile

#116 2020-05-11 21:25:41

hhh
Meep!
Website

I don't want to say that the next test ISO will be out immediately, because anything can happen in our day-to-day lives.

That said, the next ISO should be out very shortly. The Official Release is still probably 2 months away.

#117 2020-05-12 01:02:02

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^I'm more optimistic about the Official Release to be honest.
Once the Release Candidate is out (soon), unless community testing brings some tricky issues up, then the OR - at least the standard amd64 version - won't be long after. The shrunk-down 32-bit CD might take a bit longer.

Unless @hhh has some major changes in mind that he hasn't mentioned yet... roll

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#118 2020-05-12 06:26:23

foyle

Thanks for the reply with re to official release, got to say done a lot of distro hopping out there and although Openbox at times can be a learning curve, BL is one of the best out there for sure, fast stable and reliable! How its not any higher on the Distrowatch list is beyond me?!

hhh wrote:

I don't want to say that the next test ISO will be out immediately, because anything can happen in our day-to-day lives.

That said, the next ISO should be out very shortly. The Official Release is still probably 2 months away.

Last edited by foyle (2020-05-12 06:42:13)

#119 2020-05-18 07:33:55

PrimeSuspect

foyle wrote:

BL is one of the best out there for sure, fast stable and reliable! How its not any higher on the Distrowatch list is beyond me?!

This is something I encounter all the time and it bugs me big time. Unfortunately when potential new Linux users hit Google for recommendations they inevitable encounter DistroWatch in the search results. Then they, and indeed a large proportion of folks already using Linux, view DistroWatch as some sort of de facto rating site. It is nothing of the sort. Distros end up where they are in the list simply by how many ‘clicks’ their respective links get. This is why the better distros such as Q4OS are not near the top and the likes of ROSA, Sabayon, Calculate, Neptune, SolydK and indeed BunsenLabs are either down the bottom or not on at all. The same system also explains why Deepin is so high up and why too many folks end up with Manjaro and then move back to Windows when it breaks. smile Another example, if you’re into KDE, check out the truly excellent BigLinux. Established 16 years, virtually unbreakable and yet languishing at #196 in this wonderful list! (The latest version is currently in beta with the final release due later this month).

Last edited by PrimeSuspect (2020-05-18 07:36:05)

#120 2020-05-18 11:17:13

brogild

I think one thing that stops new folks from going further is that there is no way to install from the live environment, especially now that even Debian has Calamares. I would like this too as it enables me to have Bunsenlabs on a multiboot USB rather than its own individual one (the Debian installer doesn't like the multiboot environment).

This put me off slightly and having to reboot was a bit irksome for me, fortunately I was already familiar with the Debian installer so it wasn't too strange.

#121 2020-05-18 13:37:07

PrimeSuspect

brogild wrote:

I think one thing that stops new folks from going further is that there is no way to install from the live environment

Yes, I can easily see why this would put some potential users off. The best policy is to have a spare machine for all types of test installs but not many folks will have this option.

#122 2020-05-18 14:10:47

rbh

brogild wrote:

I think one thing that stops new folks from going further is that there is no way to install from the live environment

I do not think, that is playing any big role.

specially now that even Debian has Calamares.

Probably in Bunsenlab after Lithium.

Last edited by rbh (2020-05-18 14:19:44)

// Regards rbh

#123 2020-05-18 18:16:50

foyle

Totally get what you're saying, people look at the pecking order of Distrowatch list and see if a dsitro is at the top it must mean its one of the best, but like you say its all about 'clicks'. I liken it to a movie people rave about all the time, just makes me want to switch off and not want to watch it as its more than likely all hype! The more one has to advertise it the more it comes across as being mediocre, a bit like some of the top ranking distros on distrowatch! Ive got q4OS on an old laptop and runs great, along with BL i rate them as the two best Ive ever used for stability and speed (on older machines).Will give BigLinux a spin and see its about. smile

PrimeSuspect wrote:
foyle wrote:

BL is one of the best out there for sure, fast stable and reliable! How its not any higher on the Distrowatch list is beyond me?!

This is something I encounter all the time and it bugs me big time. Unfortunately when potential new Linux users hit Google for recommendations they inevitable encounter DistroWatch in the search results. Then they, and indeed a large proportion of folks already using Linux, view DistroWatch as some sort of de facto rating site. It is nothing of the sort. Distros end up where they are in the list simply by how many ‘clicks’ their respective links get. This is why the better distros such as Q4OS are not near the top and the likes of ROSA, Sabayon, Calculate, Neptune, SolydK and indeed BunsenLabs are either down the bottom or not on at all. The same system also explains why Deepin is so high up and why too many folks end up with Manjaro and then move back to Windows when it breaks. smile Another example, if you’re into KDE, check out the truly excellent BigLinux. Established 16 years, virtually unbreakable and yet languishing at #196 in this wonderful list! (The latest version is currently in beta with the final release due later this month).

Last edited by foyle (2020-05-19 16:33:56)

#124 2020-05-19 02:45:48

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Although the reviews of BunsenLabs on Distrowatch are quite favourable on the whole:
https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resou … bunsenlabs

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#125 2020-05-19 20:38:10

ohnonot
...again
Website

brogild wrote:

Nah, it's because it's still on oldstable while the current Debian stable has been out for ... what, more than a year?
Not criticizing or anything, but that's clearly a showstopper for many.

Also, I don't care too much about distrowatch rankings.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

Board footer