You are not logged in.

#51 2019-11-17 18:32:57

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: Removal of gksu/gksudo ... general discussion.

clusterF wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

It's a little sad that these kind of discussions break out whenever some basic software is getting replaced by the majority of distros.

I don't have any sort of emotional bond to my superuser GUI dialog, and I'm sure people who know more about these matters than I had their reasons for changing things.

Intriguing you bring up an emotional response to a computer program in your first sentence then dismiss it with your second sentence??

F* you, clusterF*.

==============================

clusterF wrote:

The average joe who runs a unix desktop for a bit of browsing and such is of no consequence to a multi tiered silicon valley tech giant with server farms and ai research facilities, then again it is probably in there best interest to placate such users to pull data from them. It seems the ultimate goal for modern computing is to in some ways create consumers first through data manipulation and then engineer education to further the goal of consumerism. Granted modern computing is not all this but a good portion today is about selling you the product at all costs. I digress, im getting OT here.

Yes, you are.
Just have to quote this for its babblishness.

#52 2019-11-17 18:46:54

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Hey no reason to go insulting babbling. Someone having a bad dy ? Though honestly agree with CF, what you contributed was a lame cope out. Ohhh, these changes which I don't understand, are being implemented by people I don't know (though let's assuming it's all ok and they are uber-l33t techno wizards too.) yada, yada blahblahblah. smile

Verses just going ok, x-nixer is doing something they prefer to their OS/install(s), also noting alternatives and giving prudent warnings etc, no skin offa my tocks. It's gnu/Nix dude, someone being able to do so is a fundamental part of what makes it so dang cool. Also everyone knows there's an ignore feature on these forums right ? Or should we do digital pistols at dawn or ????? Lmao ... never used to do the ignore thing, lately realized how much unnecessary tardation I've been allowing myself to be exposed to though.

So my take on that has radically changed. Got a PLONK/ignore button and am itching to use it !!! tongue

PS, Dammit there's no plonk feature here !!?!?!?! Come on peeps, that's uncool. Ah oh well, I have a scroll thingy too I guess or could use greasemonkey or similar to create my own ignore feature here, shrugs. Which is another short coming I've noted with a bunch of forum software, a user can't plonk a Mod, why ???!!? Someone should be able to plonk anybody they want imo. So at times have explored creating or fiddling together an enhanced client-side plonkinator. So I can put whoever da hades I like on ignore. big_smile

Forum admin irritates me ? ... PLONK, shouldn't even see threads the guy starts.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-17 18:53:50)

#53 2019-11-17 19:43:31

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Funneeeeeee. smile

This is the same script I'd found long ago when researching this dorkness ! See here, never really got around to settling on something though. Ah it's not that serious, GROUP HUG !?!? Though per usual just calling as I see things, try very hard not to be fulla-chit offline, so why I'd ever do so online ??? Nope ! Ah anyway, isn't a big deal and ignore or no ignore forum feature, no biggie. Should post that in the suggestions section though. For real good fences can make good neighbors. big_smile

May or not see if that GM script is workable just cause it's funny, shrugs. tongue Really been meaning to learn more about that add-on and what it can do for quite awhile. Don't so much want to chuff up my firefox with add-on's. Note Also that yeppers, it's a script from some unknown person obviously. Just saying.

#54 2019-11-17 21:58:45

clusterF

ohnonot wrote:
clusterF wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

It's a little sad that these kind of discussions break out whenever some basic software is getting replaced by the majority of distros.

I don't have any sort of emotional bond to my superuser GUI dialog, and I'm sure people who know more about these matters than I had their reasons for changing things.

Intriguing you bring up an emotional response to a computer program in your first sentence then dismiss it with your second sentence??

F* you, clusterF*.

==============================

I see, so when you have nothing intelligent to say you ad hominem!

"Common sense is like deodorant, those who need it the most never use it."

git: clusterF

#55 2019-11-17 22:26:01

damo
....moderator....

Hey guys sad

See my sig for a reminder  angel

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#56 2019-11-17 22:38:46

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

GROUP HUG !!! smile

Might've stepped into a long running feud without knowing. We've all seen it sometimes nixers in a community just rub each other wrong. I'm staying out of it fellas. smile Errrr though an old saying does come to mind ...

Arguing with someone on the internet is like competing in the special olympics, even if ya win, you're still just a retard.

Lmao ... errrr want to take this opportunity to errrr apologize to any among us here in the BL crowd who may be, errrrr "special." Uh yeah. big_smile No offense, I'm retarded too so no worries. IM'AH SPECIAL DERP ! Ok I better quit ...

#57 2019-11-18 05:55:46

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

Not surprised clusterF took it the wrong way. The humor here can be hard to understand at times. Pretty sure ohnonot meant that in jest - probably the first F* being emotional and the second F* emotionless, in reference to clusterF's prior quote - with certain sub-frequencies lost in translation/cross-culturalism. Basically, ohnonot types like Kimi Raikkonen speaks. 

...and you can keep your lube to yourselves, damo and biscuit.

#58 2019-11-18 15:37:39

ohnonot
...again
Website

Sorry Folks, that was agressive and pointless.
I just didn't have enough brain cells left to make an intelligent argument.
But with a user name like that, clusterF, it's bound to happen that someone will play it like this.
People compare me to Petunias all the time.

#59 2019-11-18 16:47:48

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Yep I was too quick to jump to post. Think I've got a better idea now, oh well. I like Ohnonot anyway and clusterF is another member of the BL community, also have no problemo with him. Would try a jedi mind trick and try to get the thread back on topic but we all know that never works in any gnu/Nix thread ... EVER. tongue

Ah ... so what are others doing as regarding this ? Using one of the alternatives ? Going with the flow and using pkexec etc ?

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-18 17:40:57)

#60 2019-11-18 17:40:35

damo
....moderator....

BLizgreat! wrote:

Ah ... so what are others doing as regardless this ? Using one of the alternatives ? Going with the flow and using pkexec etc ?

I go with the flow, and let cleverer linux people than me sort it out  neutral

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#61 2019-11-18 17:46:47

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^LOL, was just about to correct a damn typo !!! Regarding, not regardless, arghhhh.

Hey, damo, mostly no wrong answer when it comes to how x-nixers prefers to config. Can be when it comes to whether something is a horrible idea from a technical prospective but in this really don't blame people for just accepting what comes down and getting on with life. Noted what approach I'm taking with it for now. Will learn more about it, assess my options and eventually settle on something better. Plus much of this is outside a given end-users control and is going to depend on what the mystical "upstream" does and decides. Can't decide what I'm going to do until they do.

#62 2019-11-18 18:04:56

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Am going to have to start referring to upstream as "uphill" and we all know which way chit rollz. LMFAO !!! big_smile

#63 2019-11-19 13:26:24

clusterF

ohnonot wrote:

Sorry Folks, that was agressive and pointless.
I just didn't have enough brain cells left to make an intelligent argument.
But with a user name like that, clusterF, it's bound to happen that someone will play it like this.
People compare me to Petunias all the time.

I dont need or want your apology. You are just a rude online persona, here and elsewhere .... ohnonot, debiman, namibed, ondoho.

#64 2019-11-19 23:53:34

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Ahhhh, looks like there's only one way to settle this. It's cyber pistols, at digital dawn for you fellows. tongue

#65 2019-11-22 07:12:28

ohnonot
...again
Website

clusterF wrote:

You are just a rude online persona, here and elsewhere

You think it's not ad hominem when you phrase it like this?

.... ohnonot, debiman, namibed, ondoho.

Sounds like you're a HoaS fan.
kiss

My apology addressed the whole community, not just to you.
Sorry it wasn't a full 100% apology and you didn't like the way I did it, but it is what it is.

That's all I'm going to say on this.

edit:
Changed "I" to "My apology" to make my meaning clear.

Last edited by ohnonot (2019-11-24 07:54:57)

#66 2019-11-22 08:23:09

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Also not big on Head_on or as I've started thinking of the guy, Head_up (hiz errrrr well you get where I'm going, at least hopefully.) big_smile Though very intelligent guy and no doubt a highly competent techie overall.

Funny, with all his don't break Debian, Frankendeb this, frankendeb that, guy recently came out and mentioned what he's running. After I'd poked and prodded him a bit, knew he was. Thread in Debian forum from some nixer having issues with a Ryzen cpu, same one Hoas has. Poke, poke, actually gave the guy some valid pointers, Hoas finally sounds off with some not overly helpful stuff about Debian stable + Ryzen chip. What do you call a Debian stable base, with packages installed from other branches or tracking another branch, anything outside the stable repo's or backports for that release ... anyone ? It's called a Frankendeb, Head_on mentions oh, I'm pinning the kernel and firmware from unstable, lol. Making that OS a ? Yep ...... a Frankendeb !!! Ah dear Head_on, a very do as I say, not as I do or what works best kinda guy apparently. big_smile

Sighs ... gotta do it, Ohnonot, although like ya dude, at least don't dislike ya "F* you, clusterF*." was addressing everybody in the forum ? Just saying fellow nixer, keep things real. Not taking up for clusterF either, don't know the guy but a personal attack is fairly clear, as was the "Just have to quote this for its babblishness." A clear shot @me. No worries ya don't have to like me, don't have to like anyone anywhere, that's life and surely not going to be losing sleep over some dude I'll never meet's feelings or outlooks, shrugs.

Anyway ... moving on, I do have to cut ties with this forum. Not at all due to this particular thing, just in general, not my kinda place. Frequently finding myself annoyed and/or aggravated participating here ... thus why do so at all ? Have my own techie project fishies to fry and all those movies on YT aren't going to watch themselves. big_smile

I'LL BE WATCHING YOU'S THOUGH !!! tongue

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-22 08:25:01)

#67 2019-11-22 08:41:46

MALsPa

Dang. What the heck? BLizgreat!, I don't always know what you're talking about but I've enjoyed your posts anyway, kinda hate to see you bail. Ugh, not feeling well enough at the moment to dig around to see what went down here... bad night, bad morning... Peace, all. Positive Vibrations, as my boy Marley sang.

#68 2019-11-22 08:50:01

MALsPa

damo wrote:
BLizgreat! wrote:

Ah ... so what are others doing as regardless this ? Using one of the alternatives ? Going with the flow and using pkexec etc ?

I go with the flow, and let cleverer linux people than me sort it out  neutral

Oh. I gave up on the whole thing. I just sudo and do my thing from the command line, and I quit worrying about GUI apps as root. If I'm understanding what this discussion is about.

And if I'm not understanding, don't cut me, please.

Last edited by MALsPa (2019-11-22 08:50:55)

#69 2019-11-22 09:06:57

clusterF

ohnonot wrote:
clusterF wrote:

You are just a rude online persona, here and elsewhere

You think it's not ad hominem when you phrase it like this?

.... ohnonot, debiman, namibed, ondoho.

When true it isn't.

ohnonot wrote:

Sounds like you're a HoaS fan.

Ive done a lot of reading on various gnu/linux orientated forums, you and Hoas stand out in the crowd.

ohnonot wrote:

I addressed the whole community, not just to you.
Sorry it wasn't a full 100% apology and you didn't like the way I did it, but it is what it is.

As i said previously, I don't need or want your apology and how did you come to the conclusion "I didnt like it", what is to like?

ohnonot wrote:

That's all I'm going to say on this.

I doubt it.

#70 2019-11-23 08:31:07

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

It's gnu/Linux forums in general, I don't have a particular forum (ANY) .. I want to spend time in anymore. Gotten to the pt where I'm a nix-nomad. Would seriously have to come out with my own distro and establish an online community to even want to bother with all this nonsense and am not going to do all that. Plus my take on minimal Debian gnu/Nix stable based and BL's are drastically different things and any community would be also. Not all the shiny happy, hug everybody, even if they're a clueless azzhat type of situation. Put a star next to everyone's name, we all get trophies even if we're losers, aka = politically correct BS. Would be either know wth you're talking about or don't talk. That would be rule of the day and enforced with an iron admin fist. Id10t posts, "ohhhhh I like this file manager it should be default". WHAM ... BAN, no warnings, no appeals ...

However someone says,

I installed this file manager.

sudo apt purge file-manager1pkg && sudo apt install filemanager2pkg

Then got rid of any config chuff from my users home directory. I prefer file-manager2 because it can/does XYZ.

Response: Hey welcome aboard !!! smile

Bottom line, when something stops being enjoyable, entertaining and satisfying and becomes much more so headaches, hassle and butt pains, obviously better to stop doing that activity and invest the time and energy on something else. Even if that something else is a good comedy or zombie movie on Youtube. big_smile The main forum assoc with Debian is horrid and pathetic, not that there aren't a few good people who participate in the thing and BL has MANY good people and a good solid distro. That's the most important thing to focus on.

#71 2019-11-23 11:01:23

Colonel Panic

BLizgreat! wrote:

Any thoughts fellow nixers, particularly anything that's solid data based and outlines the merits of pkexec vs gksudo etc ? Thanks in advance.

I've never used gksu / gksudo so for me it's not a problem that they're being retired from Debian. If I want to edit a file outside my allocated user folders, I switch to root by typing "sudo su root" at the command prompt and then typing in the password when prompted to do so, and then I launch gedit or mousepad etc. by typing in the program's name from the root prompt.

Similarly if I want to use gparted.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2019-11-23 11:08:48)

#72 2019-11-23 13:28:46

eight.bit.al

What does 'sudo su root' do that 'su root' doesn't? TIA

8bit

A mind is a terrible thing not to change.
The problem lies not with new ideas, but in escaping the old ones.

#73 2019-11-24 04:13:24

eight.bit.al

^ Never mind. I lost my mind for a moment asking such a basic question I could 'google' for myself.

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2019-11-24 04:13:37)

A mind is a terrible thing not to change.
The problem lies not with new ideas, but in escaping the old ones.

#74 2019-11-24 07:28:20

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

Yes I know, I mixunderstand a lot, but is this really something worth to get worked up about?

Last edited by dolly (2019-11-24 07:28:50)

Keep BunsenLabs #!yish please.

#75 2019-11-24 07:54:14

ohnonot
...again
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

"F* you, clusterF*." was addressing everybody in the forum ? Just saying fellow nixer, keep things real.

Sorry about that misunderstanding, the sentence should have been "My apology addressed the whole community, not just you."
I edited that now. Communication is tricky...

Board footer