You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-18 11:04:35

Starborn

Bunsenlabs new install (instead of Debian) - "Loading, please wait"

Hi to all who read this,

A brand new install of Bunsenlabs 'hangs' at "Loading, please wait..."

-oo-

Yesterday I replaced Debian "jessie" 8.11 on this old Core2Duo//2 GB RAM//Geforce 6700XL with  Bunsenlabs "Hydrogen", after having problems with Debian for over a week. After 3 years, Debian (too) was hanging at the exact same moment - "Loading, please wait..." After a couple of days Debian "mysteriously" booted again, but the screen resolution was wrong; 1024x768 instead of 1600x900 on an "Unknown monitor", while Debian always used to recognized both the monitor and the native screen resolution.

Alongside Bunsenlabs (until yesterday Debian) is installed LMDE3 and Xubuntu 18.03. Both LMDE3 and Xubuntu boot and work fine.

Installing Bunsenlabs "Hydrogen" took just ten minutes and went perfect, but after first (and every consecutive boot), it stops at:

Loading, please wait...
fsck from util-linux 2.25.2
/dev/sda2: recovering journal
/devs/sda2: clean, 90030/12214272 files, 1420312/48827904 blocks

I have to press the Reset button to restart the PC (being the cause of the "recovering-journal", I assume).

I am typing this in LMDE3 (with the nice, fast Openbox). I can access the Bunsenlabs partition with  LMDE3 and in Xubuntu, but just like with Debian, I have no idea how to solve this.

"Chronologically", my Debian problems started (if I remember correctly) after Xubuntu upgraded GRUB, and after playing around with an old Geforce 8400GS (which has passive cooling, but is slower), and putting back the "6700XL". The Nouveau driver is being used.

I posted my Debian problem at the Debian user forum, so far without much/any luck.

Since Debian had given me small "issues" since the beginning, and since Bunsenlabs runs just fine on an old HP dc5100 (HP.com link) computer, I thought I'd try Bunsenlabs instead of the "problematic" Debian.

But alas.

-oo-

I find it remarkable that Bunsenlabs has the same problem that Debian had (although Bunsenlabs is based on Debian "jessie"), but perhaps that is just a coincidence.

Does anyone have an idea about the cause, and how I might solve this? (Of course, I can always try the new Bunsenlabs "Helium".)

"Horum omnium Belgae fortissimi sunt" - Caius Julius Caesar

#2 2018-11-18 11:17:42

Starborn

Re: Bunsenlabs new install (instead of Debian) - "Loading, please wait"

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=2718 - Someone with the same kind of problem, from back in 2016.

"Nomodeset". I got Debian to boot with "nomodeset", but the screen resolution was wrong. After removing the "nomodeset", Debian booted again fine (??), but still with the wrong screen resolution.

Debian/systemd "hung", while Debian/systemVinit booted fine (choosing it in the GRUB menu). Then both Debian with systemd and sysVinit booted fine - but with the wrong screen resolution and the "Unknown monitor" notification.

Weird thing happening in Debian. It reminded me of Windows (and that is not a compliment). Odd.

Maybe I should just try "Helium"?

#3 2018-11-18 12:22:44

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

^I even don't know what is the reason you are installing obsolete Hydrogen ... Of course, go with Helium.

And before installing Helium, try its Live session, just to see everything (network, GFX ...) works as expected. You can even try and install a few important packages (ones you find important). Note that packages installed in line session won't be kept across the reboot. (Even that can be 'fixed' ... search forum for 'persistent BunsenLabs')

Also, note that you can enable the backports during install, which will allow installing of ever more fresh version of the packages, resulting in both better support if newer hardware (for example: GFX card, better kernel, WiFi ...).

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#4 2018-11-18 12:22:54

Starborn

Just trying out things.

Still getting:

Loading, please wait...
/dev/sda2: clean, 97407/12214272 files, 168437/48827907 blocks

Bunsenlabs boots with "nomodeset" added. I am typing this in Bunsenlabs. smile

At first, Bunsenlabs was slooow with "nomodeset" added in the boot option.

-oo-

What is "nomodeset"?

"Many open source drivers have removed support for non-kernel mode setting, so in those cases when you use nomodeset you will end up falling back to the very basic VESA un-accelerated driver.
This is very much a performance and feature hit.
"

(from What is "nomodeset"? (Askubuntu.com)

-oo-

Since I had nothing to lose, I was being reckless and upgraded "Hydrogen" to Helium": (https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=4780

Still getting:

Loading, please wait...
/dev/sda2: 135816/12214272 files, 1690641/48827904 blocks.

Again, Bunsenlabs boots fine with "nomodeset", and as for speed at the desktop, things work normally(?).

Does anyone have any comments?

#5 2018-11-18 12:50:08

Starborn

iMBeCil wrote:

^I even don't know what is the reason you are installing obsolete Hydrogen ... Of course, go with Helium.

I could have mentioned this: I installed "Hydrogen", because earlier this week I read here on the forums that it should be possible to upgrade Hydrogen to Helium (It is possible), and because I have a Hydrogen install disk lying around.

I would think that a distro of a "few years" old should surely work on a 10 year old computer.

iMBeCil wrote:

Also, note that you can enable the backports during install, which will allow installing of ever more fresh version of the packages, resulting in both better support if newer hardware (for example: GFX card, better kernel, WiFi ...).

I added the backports before upgrading to Helium. The "Loading, please wait" problem is still there.

Would a newer kernel help?

#6 2018-11-18 13:13:58

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

^Hmmm ... if I understand correctly, your boot is kind of stuck during the GRUB phase, right?

I must say I know very little about GRUB, so my help is probably not very useful. However, I don't think newer kernel will help.

In the meantime, until someone more knowledgeable about the subject appears, you can post output of this commands:

$ lsblk

and

$ df -h

It will give idea of your disk layout and formatting.

Also, what did you choose when the BL install ask where to put 'GRUB bootloader on hard disk'? Do you use UEFI? What is your actual hardware PC/laptop?

As a last resort: are you sure your HDD (or SDD) is good?

#7 2018-11-18 13:28:05

rbh

Starborn wrote:

What is "nomodeset"?

If you search the forum, you se that it is a "kernel boot option". It is not an uncommon solution with display problem.

You did not understand the answer in the Ubuntuforum?

Askubuntu wrote:

[...]
Adding the nomodeset parameter instructs the kernel to not load video drivers and use BIOS modes instead until X is loaded.

I do not think it can be phrased clearer...

Starborn wrote:

Since I had nothing to lose, I was being reckless and upgraded "Hydrogen" to Helium": (https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=4780

Allways use the newest stable install source. Upgrading takes a lot of time, and there is allways a small risk of errors.
If you are new to Bunsenlabs, you do not know how to upgrade personal settings that have evolved in newer version.

Starborn wrote:

Again, Bunsenlabs boots fine with "nomodeset", and as for speed at the desktop, things work normally(?).

If you have found that you have to tweak boot process, you have to make that solution permanent instead of doing it manual every boot.

Open /etc/default/grub as root.
Change the line that begins with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= and ads "nomodeset".
I prefer not to have the grub splassh covering the boot process and hiding error in boot process.
If you want the same, make the line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"

Then update grub in a terminal:

sudo update-grub2

Last edited by rbh (2018-11-18 13:30:49)

// Regards rbh

#8 2018-11-18 13:50:50

Starborn

Lsblk gives me:

~$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0 146.5G  0 part 
├─sda2   8:2    0 186.3G  0 part /
├─sda3   8:3    0     1K  0 part 
├─sda5   8:5    0 455.4G  0 part 
├─sda6   8:6    0   3.7G  0 part [SWAP]
└─sda7   8:7    0 139.7G  0 part 
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom  
sr1     11:1    1  1024M  0 rom

df -h shows:

~$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2       184G  4.7G  170G   3% /
udev             10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs           405M  5.7M  399M   2% /run
tmpfs          1012M   28M  985M   3% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs          1012M     0 1012M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           203M  4.0K  203M   1% /run/user/108
tmpfs           203M  8.0K  203M   1% /run/user/1000
/dev/sda5       456G  126G  331G  28% /media/kris/DATA
/dev/sda7       138G   11G  120G   9% /media/kris/9433526d-b9b2-4f9e-a4f3-c51fcf2bc007
/dev/sda1       144G   22G  115G  16% /media/kris/33bf6337-7268-478f-aaa1-7c9761f2e896

Originally Windows XP was on this machine. Then back in 2015 I installed Debian 7 (upgraded to 8.11), after a failed FreeBSD install ("Operating system not found"), not knowing anything about FreeBSD; I saw that Debian looked nice and so I kept Debian. Until yesterday.

I hadn't booted Windows XP for many, many, many months, so just for fun I installed LMDE2 (later upgraded to LMDE3) over XP. LMDE works fine, but Cinnamon is not the best (for this old machine).

As I had an extra partition, I installed Xubuntu 18.04 on it a few months ago. Xubuntu too works fine.

-sda1 is Xubuntu 18.04.
-sda7 is LMDE3.
-sda5 is a 500 GB (ntfs) "personal-files" partition.
-sr0 and sr01 are a Samsung DVD-rom and an old (IDE) Plextor DVD-burner.

Perhaps a bit of a messy partitioning scheme, but I just used what was there.

The HD is a 1 GB WesternDigital, which is a "few" years old. I have been thinking of a possible hardware problem with the HD being the cause of my Debian (and Bunsenlabs) "issue".

#9 2018-11-18 14:08:37

Starborn

rbh wrote:

You did not understand the answer in the Ubuntuforum?

Yes, I did. I "just" posted the explanation from that Ubuntuforum. My apologies if it made me look confused.

rbh wrote:

I do not think it can be phrased clearer...

It indeed cannot.

rbh wrote:

Allways use the newest stable install source. Upgrading takes a lot of time, and there is allways a small risk of errors.
If you are new to Bunsenlabs, you do not know how to upgrade personal settings that have evolved in newer version.

The upgrade from Hydrogen to Helium seems to work fine.
I only did it to see what would happen (Famous last words smile ).

After 11 years of Linux, I still do not know that very much about what goes on under Linux' hood, because I never had to learn. Linux just works. Small things I could solve easily by means of forums and blogs. This "Loading, please wait" problem is the first BIG problem I've had in Linux.

rbh wrote:

If you have found that you have to tweak boot process, you have to make that solution permanent instead of doing it manual every boot.

Thank you, rbh. I have been reading online how to edit Debian's (and Bunsenlabs') boot settings. I didn't know how to do that, as I never had to do that before.

But even then, there is another "problem": just like with Debian, the screen resolution in Bunsenlabs is also not correct: 1280x1024 instead of 1600x900. In Debian it was even 1024x786.
After 11 years of Linux, I don't know by heart how to change this. Seriously smile

I have downloaded the ISO of Bunsenlabs Helium, but I somehow don't believe that a clean install of Helium will solve this "Loading, please wait" problem (but it cannot get any worse, so).

#10 2018-11-18 14:42:34

S7.L

what does your

# /etc/default/grub

look like?

Last edited by S7.L (2018-11-18 14:44:13)

"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate."...Voilà!

~ V

#11 2018-11-18 15:02:05

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

Starborn wrote:

But even then, there is another "problem": just like with Debian, the screen resolution in Bunsenlabs is also not correct: 1280x1024 instead of 1600x900. In Debian it was even 1024x786.
After 11 years of Linux, I don't know by heart how to change this. Seriously smile

Huh ... no need to be ashamed  smile  smile

Apparently, you have Geforce 6700XL, and this should be supported in stretch or even in stretch-backports ... The first step would be to run the 'arandr' (basically xrandr with GUI), and see if you can see your resolution, and see if you can set it.

If above doesn't work, perhaps you have no correct driver. Let's see if you have nvidia drivers installed:

$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia

and see which one are loaded:

$ egrep -i " connected|card detect|primary dev|Setting driver" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
# or
$ glxinfo | grep -i vendor

You may see 'nvidia'', or 'nouveau' in the output. Perhaps, you can post the output of those commands.

EDIT: @MODS: I would suggest splitting the screen issues in separate topic  hmm

Last edited by iMBeCil (2018-11-18 15:03:34)

Board footer