You are not logged in.

#26 2017-05-28 15:41:13

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Re: Your views/experiences with web browsers fellow nixers ? :)

Steve wrote:

^^ martix looks like ungoogled chromium is available for stretch.

https://ungoogled-software.github.io/un … -binaries/

Oh, that's great news!!! Thanks! After upgrading the system, that will be the first .deb file for me to check it out.

Well, hmmm, naive me...  neutral  I wrote ".deb file". Actually there are 7 (seven!) .deb files. Am I supposed to install them one by one? I just could not find any helpful install instructions...

Last edited by martix (2017-06-30 15:32:45)

#27 2017-05-28 16:01:02

DeepDayze

Browser wars on Linux are just as interesting as on Windows. Remember the big Netscape vs Internet Explorer battle back in the old days of Windows 95/98?

Real Men Use Linux

#28 2017-05-28 16:52:12

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Another thanks Steve, interesting find.

DeepDayze, yeppers see that, M$ won that battle but ended up losing the war. Netscape went down swinging. smile

Speaking of M$ browserage, anybody care to share their impressions of Edge browser ? Have to admit am sorta curious how their latest browser is stacking up.

#29 2017-05-28 16:54:37

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

Edge browser

I tried it very briefly in my Windows 10 system and I found it to be pretty fast at loading the pages and content (perhaps faster than Chrome) but the rendering was even buggier than the obvious rivals and it crashed quite a few times in the hour or so I used it.

In short, I prefer firefox in Windows as well smile

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#30 2017-05-28 17:12:30

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Thanks Hoas. smile Appreciate your 1st hand feedback my friend. Gawds help me, really am kicking around the idea of installing friggin win8.1 in kvm, WHY !?!?! Whyyyyyyyyyyy !?!?! Why not just hit myself in the foot with a hammer or summin instead !

Vll!

#31 2017-05-28 17:24:59

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Windows 10 has a Subsystem for Linux that allows for the installation of a minimal Ubuntu userspace:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 776#p49776

devil

(Sorry for the OT, couldn't resist the opportunity to be evil)

#32 2017-05-28 18:01:24

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ LMAO, big_smile

Ps, Posts cannot contain only capital letters.

#33 2017-05-28 20:11:46

stevep
MX Linux Developer

Slimjet has an option to invert the page colors if you find the glaring white background too obnoxious. 

For the real open source fans, I also managed to rebuild IceCat 52.0.2 on the OBS for some different releases:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show … Cat/icecat

I'll see if I can update it to the latest 52.1.0

The latest Qupzilla is available in an AppImage for those that don't have a recent enough Qt 5.  It seemed very fast to me.  When the OBS adds Stretch to their build platforms, hopefully at the Stretch release, I should be able to build it natively--though that mean it's stuck on Stretch's Qt 5 webengine, so maybe AppImage would be better.

#34 2017-05-28 21:28:41

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Hey, thanks for the adds. Atm am good, still FF is staying the go to but fairly well happy with Opera. Thing is pretty snazzy really. Remember Qupzilla did come up and was favorably mentioned while looking over available browserage.

Anyone had experience with it ? Vll! smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-31 02:03:13)

#35 2017-05-30 20:26:55

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Babble update about this:

Yep, continue to be annoyed with Debian related to this keeping friggin Firefox updated in the repo's, already posted the link which will show people what issues xyz-patches are supposed to have addressed but was dorking around with the about:support thing, which is friggin cool and useful. Provides some really interesting info a features when you get into it.

In the Firefox browser address bar type "about:support" and hit Enter/Return. One of the things there, is start Firefox in Safe-mode. Another neat feature found there is "Show update history" so mentioned was dorking and clicked on that. WHAM up pops the entire update history for my browser and the patches for FF v53 ... .02 and .03 are listed there as "Security Update(s)" !

Wth ... they can't keep latest release version of Firefox even in the experimental repo's !?!?!?! Debian dang it, step up your game as regards this !!!! Firefox is and always has been the premiere open source browser and doesn't deserve such treatment, nor neglect !

Vll! smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-30 20:33:58)

#36 2017-05-30 20:50:25

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

AH HA ! More babble, why not ? tongue

Still much prefer my way, though it's run independent of the OS's package management, shrugs. Only limitations found that I can recall are.

a)Seems someone may have to keep a Firefox version installed via package manager, believe one time I removed them all and it wiped out the package which supplies the Firefox profile manager too. Though quite likely could've just turned around and reinstalled the package. Can't remember it's name.

b)Harder to set my version of Firefox to x-www-browser in system alternatives. Though several ways to work around this occur.

1. Symlink the normally installed versions /usr/bin to being the one I use instead.

2. Thunar allows someone to define custom commands. So I can simply set it up to launch my preferred instance of Firefox for .html and .xml etc files and it shall doeth my bidding. tongue

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-30 20:56:10)

#37 2017-05-30 21:21:24

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

Wth ... they can't keep latest release version of Firefox even in the experimental repo's !?!?!?!

Debian 9.0 will be released in three weeks, I don't think Debian give a s**t about the experimental repositories right now and I fully support them in that decision.

#38 2017-05-30 21:44:07

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Well you're of course entitled to whichever opinion(s) Hoas. Though as someone who constantly mentions security, security, security. Would think it might annoy you more knowing some nixers are being left to run a web-browser that's apparently missing two security patches by Debian.

Though you prefer the firefox-esr thing, so doesn't affect you personally. I mean how long can it take to move it over into the repos ? My guess would be less than 3mins, shrugs. Mentioned I also really have no reason to be concerned, I always have the latest Firefox release version as they come out. Other than I noticed this and don't so much like it.

after-thought, though guess anyone competent enough to be tracking and mixing from experimental repositories should already be well aware of this type of junk too.

The Iceweasel practice was also stupid and craptastic if remembering how it worked correctly. That being that it took awhile for Debian Mozilla team members to get ahold of latest Firefox, then strip out the Firefox branding and add back the Iceweasel stuff in their place. End result is in the interim nixers were left with longer windows of vulnerability. When security issues or other serious junk had already been found and fixed in the versions offered by Mozilla.

Shrugs ... that at least is over and really agree with you, it's not like this is a OMG the world's going to end kind of situation. Still a bit disappointed in the way Debian's handling Firefox and it's users. In other words blahblahblah. Just saying ... though nother afterthought eh. Seriously doubt it's all that big of a deal anyway, assuming FF missing two patches + gnu/Nix is still 34x(times) as secure as latest M$ Edge browser fully up to date regardless. tongue

Vll! smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-30 21:58:31)

#39 2017-05-30 21:46:52

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

as someone who constantly mentions security, security, security. Would think it might annoy you more knowing nixers are being left to run a web-browser that's apparently missing two security patches by Debian.

As I have already said, the non-ESR version of firefox is (likely to be) *less* secure, that's why I don't like it wink

#40 2017-05-30 21:59:28

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ No worries, per usual respectcha Hoas and your preferences. Even if we differ in terms of this topic, shrugs. Oops, also doubt this latest release version of Firefox does anything much better or different than the firefox-esr you prefer anyways. Though it should have improvements earlier versions lack. At least that'd be logical.

Perhaps a tad of bugs earlier ones don't have too. Though that's what Mozilla's patches are for. Vll! smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-30 22:02:35)

#41 2017-05-30 22:35:53

MsMattie

In descending order of security and privacy
* Firefox - 90 percent of the time for browsing with a fair amount of privacy battened down.
* Chromium - which I can open if I have to log in to a site where I suspect they may be trying to track me over the web.
* Chrome - if I use anything Google and opened up enough for Flash for video.
* Seamonkey - I don't use the browser but this package has Komposer, which is a WYSIWYG html editor which comes in handy for rudimentary web pages that are so big it helps to visually see what you are doing rather then hunting through a swarm of code.

Linux in the backwoods of the Rocky Mountains...

#42 2017-05-30 22:47:26

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Hey good point, no reason someone can't have em all I guess. big_smile Though personally have found it somewhat tedious and these days restrict the number of web browsers installed due to the annoyance of a flood of upgrades coming down the pipe for them. With this rapid release model Google-chrome (presumably chromium too ?) and Mozilla was forced into by Google Inc. Seems the things are constantly upgrading.

Which on highspeed certainly isn't the end of the world regardless and at some point will revert to installing all the major ones too. For things like cross browser testing or whatever. Haven't been doing much in the way of web-dev in quite some time. Been somewhat itching to dork with it more lately. Mentioned with Chrome supposedly having 60+ percent of the browser share no one seriously wanting to be a competent web developer should neglect seeing how well their website(s) work with Chrome now.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-05-30 22:48:09)

#43 2017-06-11 07:20:53

KrunchTime

I once read that using more than one browser helps protect you from getting fingerprinted easily.  So, I currently use the following:

• Chromium

• Firefox-ESR

• Midori

• Palemoon

• Qupzilla

• Slimjet

• Vivaldi

• Xombrero

However, I don't use Midori, Qupzilla, or Xombrero that often.

#44 2017-06-11 20:31:21

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

^This is one of things I really enjoy in the linux world: There are always new open source tools/projects to discover!

Xombrero - never heard of it before, but it looks interesting (install steps could be more clear on the github page though). If we add e.g. Iridium, Opera, Netsurf and Konqueror to the list above, there are already a dozen browsers to choose from.

#45 2017-06-11 21:32:11

Sun For Miles

I remember first time using Linux desktop for web browsing in 2000 (or 2001, not 100% sure). Jesus Christ, what a shitty experience that was. Both Opera and Netscape were crashing for various reasons, web page and font rendering was horrible. So I quickly gave up on idea of using Linux for my daily business back then.

Jump to current year, I have Linux distro installed on my laptop where I use exclusively Firefox for web browsing. No forks, no Chrome or Opera.

On my home desktop PC I still use Windows (haven't used dual boot with some Linux distro in 7-8 years, since I was getting to know Gentoo), and couple of browsers:
-Firefox for 99% of browsing
-Chrome for Facebook only
-Opera for Google Hangouts (I have 2 stubborn friends who are not giving up on this platform)
All those browsers have my different Google accounts logged in. In Firefox I keep NoSCript blocking facebook.com and FB's CDN domains, uBlockOrigin, Ghostery and BetterPrivacy.

On my phone I use Firefox and Orfox. I don't use Facebook on this device.

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#46 2017-06-21 19:19:58

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

@Sun For Miles While using Ghostery, it's good to have those settings carefully checked. Some do not recommend this add-on (there are easy-to-find detailed articles about it).

Any more comments maybe on Seamonkey? Or Dooble for that matter?  smile

Somehow I tend to believe that Firefox is the right way to go, but on the other hand - and I do not like to say it - I got the impression that it is simply not good enough.

#47 2017-06-21 19:41:55

Sun For Miles

Yeah, I'm ware of Ghostery selling info that users share with them to third parties - those telemetry options are easily disabled.

#48 2017-06-22 08:31:01

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Yes, that's one thing. This is from an old thread: "Ghostery does other shady stuff. I have to frequently go to my settings page to disable tracking of all trackers because every time it updates its list, it won't automatically block the new trackers."
It's good to check:  Advanced->Auto Update->Block new elements by default

"Ghostery claims that 45% of their users (8 million out of 18 million) are opted in to send Ghostery their browsing data. I wonder if even 1% of those users know their data is being sold to advertisers by Ghostery." - Good point.

I did like this add-on as far as it made pages load faster (by blocking all the junk), but in the end stopped to use it because it's NOT open source and there are alternatives which do basically the same (see also last post on this page). In this respect I like the Brave browser's approach blocking all the trackers as a browser feature.

Edit: As a sidenote: This year Ghostery was sold to Cliqz, which company makes the Cliqz browser (tried it, didn't like it).

Last edited by martix (2017-06-22 09:01:45)

#49 2017-06-22 11:21:13

Sun For Miles

Thanx for the link, really interesting read.

Since I use uBLock Origin, I've enabled Fanboy's Enhanced Tracking List in 3rd-party filters, and peeked to see what's inside of it. I like that it blocks anti adblock warnings. big_smile I'm not sure if those ~1500 rules are enough to replace Ghostery addon, but I'll give it a shot. I didn't add Fanboy’s Annoyance List because it blocks RSS feeds and I can live with webpages linking to their social media accounts.

#50 2017-06-23 05:39:00

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Is there a nice writeup for web page builders, like "how to make a page that won't get blocked", just so we are on the same page? (heh) Url to that page could then be advertised with means of spoofing it into metadata they collect for example.

Something along
https://brontosaurusrex.github.io/2017/ … -by-users/
But I'am sure that can be rewritten in shorter and more clear form.

Probably there should be a mention of some sort of "Use higher brain to fight human native voyeurism" in the user-spying section? But that gets us into more non-technical waters...

The informer example

# this will inform page https://www.some.com about my rules of the game
curl -e "No Cookies Please, Do not track and spy. Do not inform me about my ad blocker. Go home and rethink your life."  -A "User" https://www.some.com/

That should show in server logs like

..... 23/Jun/2017:13:14:04 +0200] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 52029 "No Cookies Please, Do not track and spy. Do not inform me about my ad blocker.  Go home and rethink your life." "User"

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2017-06-23 11:17:09)

Board footer