You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-04 02:48:20

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

FLOSS Weekly Podcast

Hey everyone,
So I'm not sure how any of you would feel about this, but one of the podcasts that I watch is called FLOSS (Free Libre Open Source Software) is a show on an internet tv channel called TWiT.tv  The weekly show features projects, developers, coders, and programs that are created in the Free Open Source community. Most are github people spreading the news of their projects and work.

The point is, they get guests on each week, to talk about different projects that they're working on or involved with. So I was curious if any of the dev. team would be interested in reaching out the Randall Schwartz (the host) to get a spot on the show. It's an hour long, though usually the interview part is about 40 minutes of that.  They talk to the guests, ask questions, let them explain how the project began, issues they run into, and generally promote themselves. I think it would be a great way to get BunsenLabs out to the public, now that we're "Official".   It would at the least get our name and the idea that Crunchbang is being carried on. They even allow multiple guests on the same project!

check the link below:

FLOSS Weekly

Check out atleast some of the prior episodes to get a feel for the show and if it would be something we may consider for P.R.

To get in contact with Randall Schwartz:
merlyn@stonehenge.com

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#2 2016-05-04 03:29:20

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: FLOSS Weekly Podcast

@Horizon, thanks for this post.

I'm going to go ahead and speak for the Dev-Team here...

We're of the mind that this project will do fine if it grows organically. Word of mouth, an email, the occasional Facebook post. No need to push it, and no need, for example, to pay $200 USD to DistroWatch.

Let's just sit back and see what happens.

#3 2016-05-04 03:36:10

damo
....moderator....

hhh wrote:

We're of the mind that this project will do fine if it grows organically....

Let's just sit back and see what happens.

Several hundred torrented downloads in the last 3 days, and however many direct d/ls from the website - it seems to be growing quite nicely smile

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#4 2016-05-04 07:05:05

arti

hhh wrote:

pay $200 USD to DistroWatch.

Had no idea that was a thing..

#5 2016-05-04 07:14:39

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

arti wrote:

Had no idea that was a thing..

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=140
wink

EDIT: Where's my ferret?  mad
monkey

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2016-05-04 07:15:52)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#6 2016-05-04 10:01:29

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Mine is really upset!  That's just WRONG!

OK, not mine but it's still WRONG!

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#7 2016-05-04 10:09:18

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ lol that ferret's just caught mid war dance!  Doesn't mean he's upset, just excited.  (Got a bit obsessed with the web searching after seeing the Gilmore Girls episode where Rory was "the girl in that Renoir painting".  Well, that and Along Came Polly.  Anyway, all weasel species have some form of "weasel war dance" they do when happy; it's kinda like pronking in gazelles and springbok.)

I realize I'm Thomas Wayne to the distro's Wayne Enterprise ("I leave [running the business] to better men.  Well, more interested men."); therefore, I defer to the developers.

Last edited by pvsage (2016-05-04 10:18:06)

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#8 2016-05-04 16:13:40

geekosupremo

As a regular listener of the FLOSS Weekly show I would love to hear the Devs talk about how they make a customized thing like BunsenLabs. That said, @hhh and the rest of the core dev-team I defer to your judgement. smile

#9 2016-05-04 16:21:44

Horizon_Brave

It's up to the dev team. I don't/can't see why talking about Bunsenlabs could possibly a bad thing. I get the fact that we're doing well at the moment, but why hinder/hamper ourselves or not take advantage of any opportunity to bring more people in, and new folks to help out and bang on the OS?

#10 2016-05-04 17:03:36

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Well, that leaves me out:   cool

• no mic,

• no web-cam,

• no development skills

• no programming skills

• no neckbeard

#11 2016-05-04 17:11:06

Horizon_Brave

Sector11 wrote:

• no neckbeard

Lies...all LIES  big_smile

#12 2016-05-04 17:35:46

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Horizon_Brave wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

• no neckbeard

Lies...all LIES  big_smile

Truth...all truth.  These span 25 years at least:
tongue  The_Beard_1.jpg  tongue The_Beard.jpg  tongue

#13 2016-05-04 17:46:21

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I have a neckbeard but I am afflicted with a thick scouse accent that may hamper any communication attempts big_smile

#14 2016-05-04 17:50:47

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

You only need to be a neckbeard if that is supposed to be a true Debian respin (or what was it called, pure?), so optional (but should help).

#15 2016-05-04 18:22:37

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I have a neckbeard but I am afflicted with a thick scouse accent that may hamper any communication attempts big_smile

Ahhhhhhh yes, HoaS the BlackNeckBeard in action:
blackbeard_Hoa_S_2.jpg
"Avast Matey, yu'll be usin' Bunsen or sufferin' the consequences ... ARRR!"

But we're running adrift here.  I've bookmarked the page and will listen to a few.

I tend to agree though, word-of-mouth, emails, and a sharp sabre should be enough.

#16 2016-05-04 18:28:32

el_koraco

#17 2016-05-04 18:36:00

Horizon_Brave

Sector11 wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Ahhhhhhh yes, HoaS the BlackNeckBeard in action:
http://s20.postimg.org/g4fch86o9/blackbeard_Hoa_S_2.jpg
"Avast Matey, yu'll be usin' Bunsen or sufferin' the consequences ... ARRR!"

But we're running adrift here.  I've bookmarked the page and will listen to a few.

I tend to agree though, word-of-mouth, emails, and a sharp sabre should be enough.

Fair, and I like I said, it's not a big deal, but why should "enough" be good enough for us?

#18 2016-05-04 19:20:31

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Horizon_Brave wrote:

Fair, and I like I said, it's not a big deal, but why should "enough" be good enough for us?

Well, the idea is a good one, we're not questioning that so much.

It was discussed a while back with the $200 to DistroWatch idea and it was unofficially agreed upon that we'd let things happen naturally without going out of our way.  The same way #! grew.  Now I'm not saying Philip didn't do any "publicity" just that most of it was word of mouth.

I remember back in 2007 I 'suggested' #! to someone that was looking to get away from Ubuntu GNOME and Xfce because they were to 'slow' on their machine.  And that was before I even tried it, I had read about it some place and was lurking in the #! forum for a while.  Then when Xubuntu started to clog down my P-III in July 2007, I too joined the #! ranks.

Bunsen isn't here for people that need it, it's here for people that want it!
It wasn't created by people that needed it but by people wanted it to exist.

Think about this:  How many of the Dev team actually use BunsenLabs as their daily OS?  Not all.  These people 'wanted' Bunsen to exist, and are spending time and effort making sure it does.

We're off to a great start and old #!'ers are finding us every day. We'll get there - when we get there.  wink

#19 2016-05-04 22:58:21

Eraph
Website

Sector11 wrote:

Think about this:  How many of the Dev team actually use BunsenLabs as their daily OS?  Not all.  These people 'wanted' Bunsen to exist, and are spending time and effort making sure it does.

Now that is interesting. One would think the devs would be more inclined to work on the distro to suit themselves best, but you're suggesting it's more of a selfless hobby?

Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13 | BunsenLabs Hydrogen (x64)
Intel Core i7-3537U | Intel HD4000 | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

#20 2016-05-04 23:32:36

damo
....moderator....

Eraph wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Now that is interesting. One would think the devs would be more inclined to work on the distro to suit themselves best, but you're suggesting it's more of a selfless hobby?

I think that for some of the guys it really is a "selfless hobby", for the fun and satisfaction. There is also the motivation to try and keep the famous Crunchbang forum community going, which was something that @corenominal et al can be proud of. Note that most of the BL devs were #! forum mods.

Well, speaking for myself, BL is my main distro. I occasionally dabble with others in a VM, but they all suck! If we hadn't produced Bunsenlabs I would be running a Debian netinstall with Openbox, with #! scripts brought up-to-date. It would have included early versions of some of the BL scripts (like the Chooser scripts, BLOB themes manager etc), which have now been corrected and polished by the uber-devs.

So actually Bunsenlabs is my perfect distro (especially with a window snapping script wink )!

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#21 2016-05-05 00:04:49

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I'm an LXDE user; I'm mainly here for the community, which in my opinion is far more awesome than either #! or BL.  Whether LXDE itself is more awesome than BL is a horse race though, and I've applied a few of the #!/BL twerks tweaks to my lxde-rc.xml.

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#22 2016-05-05 01:25:23

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

"Selfless hobby" works for me to describe them.  They are a great bunch of guys that I have a lot of respect for.   One DEV doesn't even use Linux for his daily OS - Free BSD I believe, and he's as much as said so around the forums, so I'm hot giving away secrets.  Another uses ARCH, if your care to go searching.  And more.  These are the BunsenLabs Dev team you owe a thank you to for this great distro.  And hhh, I think he deserves a special mention - he taught himself how to make live ISOs so you have a BunsenLabs ISO to put on a DVD, USB stick - and a CD sized one as well.

So yea, you called it right, Eraph, 'selfless hobby' fits like a glove for the devs here whether they use Bunsen or not because BunsenLabs is a team effort.

Me, I'm a Bunsen user and on the dev team, but I'm just along for the ride as an ex-#! mod, I can't program a thing.  I still have #! "Wheezy" running here.  That's #! Waldorf without the #! repos, now classified as Debian Old Stable.  All other distros I had are gone.  Wiped out the last three not long ago freeing up 155GB on my HDD.

#23 2016-05-05 06:52:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I usually prefer a tiling window manager of some sort for my desktop but I don't think such an environment is fit for general consumption [1]

In case anybody is interested, my daily driver at the moment is:

empty@alpine ~ % cat /etc/os-release 
NAME="Alpine Linux"
ID=alpine
VERSION_ID=3.3.3
PRETTY_NAME="Alpine Linux v3.3"
HOME_URL="http://alpinelinux.org"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.alpinelinux.org"

Anyway, I have always considered BunsenLabs to be a gateway distribution leading the user gently away from the mollycoddling, abstracted, GUI configuration tools offered by the main desktops and towards a purer, more UNIX-like experience glasses

Such a thing is surely worth tending smile

[1] http://xahlee.info/linux/why_tiling_win … sucks.html

#24 2016-05-05 09:14:02

johnraff
nullglob
Website

damo wrote:

BL is my main distro...
If we hadn't produced Bunsenlabs I would be running a Debian netinstall with Openbox, with #! scripts brought up-to-date...
So actually Bunsenlabs is my perfect distro (especially with a window snapping script wink )!

This was why I started using #! and why I'm here now. Debian(originally Ubuntu)+openbox was what I was aiming for, and Philip saved me the trouble of tweaking it all nicely, and did a better job on the graphics than I could have.

#!'s tweakability was another draw, and of course my BL has been altered a bit from the default. I'm not sure if it's OK to even mention this kind of thing here, but I like to just throw files on the desktop to deal with when I get round to it (just like real life), so use xfdesktop4. I also use an auto-regenerating menu. I'm just too lazy to edit menu.xml every time I install something.

Now I've said it. Don't be too hard on me. ops

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#25 2016-05-05 13:41:19

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

johnraff wrote:

#!'s tweakability was another draw, and of course my BL has been altered a bit from the default.

And that's the key John.  #!/Bunsen tweakability.  Mine certainly isn't an OOTB Bunsen, but it is still Bunsen.

Now IF someone did a weekly podcast on Bunsen that should be one of the main points brought up.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Anyway, I have always considered BunsenLabs to be a gateway distribution leading the user gently away from the mollycoddling, abstracted, GUI configuration tools offered by the main desktops and towards a purer, more UNIX-like experience glasses

Such a thing is surely worth tending smile

And I could have sworn you were the BSD guy.  {pop} goes that bubble.  Doesn't matter you're still our walking, talking, living, breathing encyclopedia of Linux answers.  You , damo and xaos52 seem to be 'everywhere' answering everything.  At least I see the three of you three more often then some of the others.  wink

Board footer