You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-02 14:11:08

redcollective

Distrowatch

I was delighted to see Bunsen submitted to Distrowatch, however appalled at the futility of the exercise when I noticed the waiting list for listing dates back to 2007.

However this can be sped up, by simply paying a 'fee' [cough] to the gatekeepers there, half of which they pinky-promise will be donated to open source projects.

$220 dollars. 

Is there any stomach for this? Too soon? Too distasteful? Pass the hat around to raise the cash? People have been itching to support the project after all.

red

Knowledge Ferret

#2 2015-10-02 14:32:13

schwim
Website

Re: Distrowatch

I would rather raise money to buy the developers trained pet ferrets that would fetch their coffee before I'd send the money to a site like DW, which has become similar to Facebook, regarding the noise to signal ratio.  It's usefulness in any capacity is questionable with it's hopelessly outdated information and bloated kitchen sink listings.

Schw.im! A social site with an identity crisis.

#3 2015-10-02 14:34:47

hhh
Meep!
Website

schwim wrote:

I would rather raise money to buy the developers trained pet ferrets that would fetch their coffee...

Yes, please.

#4 2015-10-02 14:39:58

Enzyme

schwim wrote:

... has become similar to Facebook, regarding the noise to signal ratio.  It's usefulness in any capacity is questionable with it's hopelessly outdated information and bloated kitchen sink listings.

It's worth admitting that most people use Facebook to learn about what their peers and friends are doing. That's the usefulness of both Facebook and sites like Distrowatch - no matter how crap they be, people use them.

I like ferrets. I'm not down with enslaving them to get developers coffee, though. That's going just a step too far.

#5 2015-10-02 14:42:50

redcollective

Ferret's Liberation Front - taking membership now.

Knowledge Ferret

#6 2015-10-02 14:45:17

hhh
Meep!
Website

The Interwebz, I swear. Chaos, I'm telling you, chaos...
https://politicalstrife.files.wordpress … -jail.jpeg

#7 2015-10-02 14:50:10

schwim
Website

Enzyme wrote:

It's worth admitting that most people use Facebook to learn about what their peers and friends are doing. That's the usefulness of both Facebook and sites like Distrowatch - no matter how crap they be, people use them.

I definitely didn't intend to insinuate that either system was worthless, simply that it wasn't worth a payment of any sort for a project like BL. It will get discovered in it's own time and it's not for profit.  There's no benefit I can see for paying a bribe to the DW site.

Schw.im! A social site with an identity crisis.

#8 2015-10-02 14:59:24

Enzyme

schwim wrote:
Enzyme wrote:

I definitely didn't intend to insinuate that either system was worthless, simply that it wasn't worth a payment of any sort for a project like BL. It will get discovered in it's own time and it's not for profit.  There's no benefit I can see for paying a bribe to the DW site.

I think the bribe donation will bring users, for the simple fact that a huge number of people use DW. I do, if only to browse what's out there in the land of Linux this week/month/year.

On the other hand, more users doesn't necessarily lead to a better user experience or more bugs hacked or more features added, but it does necessarily lead to more work for forum mods, so...

#9 2015-10-02 15:02:23

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

@schwim: Exactly,  simplistically at this point in time: You give them moneys and they freely send you bunch of new users, which will need free tech support which will you provide, cough.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2015-10-02 15:02:43)

#10 2015-10-02 17:20:54

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

hhh wrote:

The Interwebz, I swear. Chaos, I'm telling you, chaos...
https://politicalstrife.files.wordpress … -jail.jpeg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ... My wife saw that image from the other side of the living room ... all I heard before breaking out loud laughing:

Que rico! ¿Que es? ¡Asado a la parrilla!
Delicious! What is it? Ribs on the BBQ?

lol lol lol lol lol  so I tell her, "Put your glasses on and come closer!"
"AWWWWWWWWWWW ... CUTE!"

Now she wants one. {sigh}

RE: DW - Pay them?  I don't think so.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#11 2015-10-02 17:32:51

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Enzyme wrote:

but it does necessarily lead to more work for forum mods, so...

No not really. We ban odd numbered new users on even days and even numbered new users on odd days.  And since we can ban a six-pack at a time it's no biggie!

Now a "Bribe a Mod Fund"

... I DID NOT SAY THAT! devil devil

#12 2015-10-02 17:48:50

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Once you get the details worked out and setup a Donate button, I will make sure BL gets a handsome one. As for paying DW, mmmm nah..I'd rather the money go to support this project. Just make sure your ranking stay reasonably high on popular search sites.

#13 2015-10-02 17:53:22

photonucleon
Thursday

tknomanzr wrote:

Just make sure your ranking stay reasonably high on popular search sites.

The BL site is top result for "bunsenlabs" on DuckDuckGo and has the [OFFICIAL SITE] label. big_smile

It's the fifth result on Google, though hmm

Last edited by photonucleon (2015-10-02 17:54:24)

The servant lifted off a kind of ottoman a long peacock-blue drapery, rather of the nature of a domino, on the front of which was emblazoned a large golden sun, and which was splashed here and there with flaming stars and crescents. “You’re to be dressed as Thursday, sir,” said the valet somewhat affably.

#14 2015-10-02 18:18:54

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

photonucleon wrote:
tknomanzr wrote:

Just make sure your ranking stay reasonably high on popular search sites.

The BL site is top result for "bunsenlabs" on DuckDuckGo and has the [OFFICIAL SITE] label. big_smile

It's the fifth result on Google, though hmm

Interesting.  I use Startpage so I searched: "bunsenlabs"

The results on Page 1 with 10 hits:

1. BunsenLabs · GitHub

• All us

2. A community continuation: BunsenLabs (Page 1) / News ...

• All us

3. Is Bunsen Labs the main successor? : BunsenLabs - Reddit

• well, iffy but it concerns us

4. BunsenLabs - Reddit

• About us

5. BunsenLabs Linux

• You are here now

6. BunsenLabs Linux :: Installation

• All us

7. BunsenLabs Linux Alpha No. 1 | CrunchBang Bangs Again - YouTube

• OH YEA!  Thank you Yonn Lopez - old BUT!

8. BunsenLabs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• All us - better than DW IMHO

9. BunsenLabs en Español - BunsenLabs - Community - Google+

• Link broken sad

10. SolydXK forums • View topic - So long, CrunchBang. Welcome Bunsen Labs

• All us - Thank Zill for this one

cool

#15 2015-10-02 19:04:11

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

Nice. Word of mouth will do far more than some listing anyway. I came to #! from Distrowatch, however. I knew I needed to get away from Ubuntu and wasn't sure exactly what it was I was looking for. Once, I tried #! I knew I had found it. So I am not 100% against it. I just don't like the philosophy of, "Look if you pay us, we'll make sure your distro hits the spot-light and if you don't, well maybe we will get to it sometime in the next 10 years."

I took a break in the middle of this post to brew some coffee and think about this a bit more. As some of you may know, I evangelize the power of choice as what Linux needs to succeed in the desktop world. There is a reason for that. When I first came to Linux back in 2000-2001, gnome and kde were the hot things, with gnome hitting the scene like a sledgehammer. Why was that? Because gnome had given people the power to choose how their desktop looked. Everyone proudly posted gnome footprints on their desktops somewhere. Some of that stuff still stands the test of time for creativity, artistic brilliance and functionality.

Fast forward to 2015, where money and corporatism has caused gnome developers to make decisions that are actually taking away the thing that made gnome great back in 2000-2001. I mean, have you really looked at Windows 10's file manager? It's ugly as sin. Corporations have this mentality of it has to be "branded" to hook back into the corporate identity. I call bs on that because as I pointed out in 2000-2001 people were posting gnome footprints on their desktops of their own free will and volition.

I said all that to say this. #! and by extension BL conform to the one thing that I absolutely require of a desktop. The ability to  choose how I want it to look and behave. If it takes $220 to free people of the shackles that "branding" and "corporate identity" has created, then I think it is a small price to pay and will gladly foot the bill. All you all have to do is say do it, tk.

#16 2015-10-02 19:42:34

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

Nice testimony tknomanzr.

I on the other hand came to #! by word of mouth and a scrot.  My Ubuntu GNOME based system began getting really slow on my old PIII.  Enter Xubu and when that started slowing down I went looking.  Remembering that an Ubuntu user had told me "Once you go *box, you don't go back!" and showed me a few scrots with OpenBox, he suggested a new distro: #!.  OK, I went looking and #! 9.04 (Ubuntu based) was what I installed.  I remember feeling leery about it being Ubuntu (GNOME) based and all I thought it would be too slow, I was wrong!

Have not looked back since. New computer now, more ram, faster - but like you:

The ability to  choose how I want it to look and behave.

is once of the biggest reasons I stayed with OpenBox and #!.  After all is others are 'copying' #! why move?

#17 2015-10-02 19:43:59

ohnonot
...again
Website

i read this thread diagonally, so forgive me if i'm repeating some things...

basically i have nothing against giving 220 credits to a cool project. but 220 bucks to skip the line?
that goes very much against a particular sense of ethics that i have.
otoh, if everyone here gives just one credit, we have enough.
but the thought really wants to make me puke.
the idea that some really cool distro can't skip the line because for them 220$ is a lot more money than for westerners... or because it actually really is a one-man project... or because they, too, find it immoral to skip the line... or because, like me, they don't want to use paypal & pals...

bright side:
my bl rc1 torrent has been seeded a lot, so people are downloading it.
alround i got the impression that word to mouth is taking place, people are using bunsenlabs.
the crunchbang forums redirect to bunsenlabs i heard.

what other channels do we have? reddit? some of those tech-blogs? debian forums? linuxquestions? ...

that said, if some bl dev posts a bank account number, i'll make sure to deposit a quid or two, for whatever bl-related purpose...

Last edited by ohnonot (2015-10-02 19:44:52)

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
my repos / my repos

#18 2015-10-02 21:20:10

photonucleon
Thursday

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I found CrunchBang first in the Wikipedia List of Lightweight Linux Distros. Can BunsenLabs go in that list (if it's not already)?

The servant lifted off a kind of ottoman a long peacock-blue drapery, rather of the nature of a domino, on the front of which was emblazoned a large golden sun, and which was splashed here and there with flaming stars and crescents. “You’re to be dressed as Thursday, sir,” said the valet somewhat affably.

#19 2015-10-02 21:21:28

nobody0
Disabled account

Why not take #! place at DW? At the moment DW says that #! is discontinued, but there is a link to http://crunchbanglinux.org/ in this page; http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distri … crunchbang, where when one clicks on "About" one gets linked to Bunsenlabs, so can't the devs announce the birth of BunsenLabs as the continuation of #! there?

Last edited by nobody0 (2015-10-02 21:21:50)

#20 2015-10-02 21:49:46

expat2be
Website

ostrołęk wrote:

Why not take #! place at DW? At the moment DW says that #! is discontinued

That would probably be up to Philip aka Corenominal. He probably has a DW account.

Other DW distros have changed their names in the past. Example: Evolve OS is now Solus.

Last edited by expat2be (2015-10-02 21:55:36)

Radio Jukebox | USB Multiboot Collections | HomeNet Wi-Fi Media Server | Compact Linux Directory | Mobile Web Sites

-- One of those curious distrohopping crunchbangers since the good ole early days back in 2008 --

#21 2015-10-03 05:07:46

Enzyme

Sector11 wrote:
Enzyme wrote:

but it does necessarily lead to more work for forum mods, so...

No not really. We ban odd numbered new users on even days and even numbered new users on odd days.  And since we can ban a six-pack at a time it's no biggie!

Now a "Bribe a Mod Fund"

... I DID NOT SAY THAT! devil devil

I LOL'd.

#22 2015-10-03 05:08:56

Enzyme

photonucleon wrote:

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I found CrunchBang first in the Wikipedia List of Lightweight Linux Distros. Can BunsenLabs go in that list (if it's not already)?

Actually, I probably get as much from this as I do from places like DW, so +1 for a good idea here.

#23 2015-10-03 06:51:53

nore
>2⁹

Sector11 wrote:

We ban odd numbered new users on even days and even numbered new users on odd days.

All days are odd here.

Speaking of Distrowatch, if BunsenLabs deserves to live long enough, time will take care of its DW ranking.

#24 2015-10-03 07:04:18

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
Website

nore wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

We ban odd numbered new users on even days and even numbered new users on odd days.

Speaking of Distrowatch, if BunsenLabs deserves to live long enough, time will take care of its DW ranking.

Exactly.

One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/
Dobbie's Suckless

#25 2015-10-03 10:20:03

pvsage
Internal Affairs

expat2be wrote:
ostrołęk wrote:

Why not take #! place at DW? At the moment DW says that #! is discontinued

That would probably be up to Philip aka Corenominal. He probably has a DW account.

Other DW distros have changed their names in the past. Example: Evolve OS is now Solus.

That is an option, but I believe BunsenLabs as a distro should succeed on its own merits.

If it comes down to paying 220 quid or not getting listed, I say DW can lick sweaty stallion n**s before we cough up one red cent.

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

Board footer