You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-21 22:08:43

jjanderson5

Long term availability of a bunsenlabs release

I have a few old 32-bit laptops that run off the BL hydrogen release. The .iso disk is dated 2016. I don't need the repository now, but I am wondering, is it possible to get a copy of an old repository from BL or crunchbang? Are they archieved someplace?

Jim A.

P.S. I don't really use these laptops, but I am keeping them for historical purposes.

#2 2020-03-23 07:13:24

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Long term availability of a bunsenlabs release

The Hydrogen repository is still online and should be available with this apt line:

deb https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian bunsen-hydrogen main

The hydrogen branches of the packages' source code in GitHub are available too: https://github.com/BunsenLabs

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#3 2020-03-23 09:09:02

twoion
ほやほや

jjanderson5 wrote:

I have a few old 32-bit laptops that run off the BL hydrogen release. The .iso disk is dated 2016. I don't need the repository now, but I am wondering, is it possible to get a copy of an old repository from BL or crunchbang? Are they archieved someplace?

Jim A.

P.S. I don't really use these laptops, but I am keeping them for historical purposes.

I want to add to John's answer: Our repos are signed with our gpg key; and they gpg key included in Hydrogen's packages (bunsen-os-release) may not be (or already isn't) valid forever and might not match the key used to sign the repositories in the future (we update keys every couple of years). In this case, APT will complain, and you must either import a current BL key manually to access the old Hydrogen repository or tell APT to accept invalid signatures (not preferred).

No package of the bunsen-hydrogen distribution will ever be updated again, so you will run into this problem eventually.

Since our package base is so small, the repos themselves can be expected to be up and running as long as the lights are still on at BunsenLabs HQ, so optimistically speaking, "forever" smile You can download all the packages to your local computer though with debmirror, which I'd recommend if you'd like to preserve everything of that release and not depend on any 3rd party. debmirror is very simple to use.

Per aspera ad astra.

#4 2020-03-24 01:40:07

jjanderson5

@johnraff and @twoion

What you both said is reassuring. From what you say, I should be able to maintain the old BL releases long into the future.

Thanks for the explanations.

Jim

Board footer