You are not logged in.

#876 2020-01-29 18:41:42

manyroads
Website

Re: Distro-hoppers anonymous

Yes, please move the post to the appropriate location.

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau (manyroads)
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."    ---H. L. Mencken
Reg. Linux User #449130

#877 2020-02-14 17:43:48

THX1138

Hope you guys remember me hahahah. I've been busy
with work and with updating my knowledge of unix/linux

On the subject of distro hopping I am running
Bunsenlabs on one machine at the moment
but I have been really impressed with Void Linux
I really do love Bunsenlabs, it's not just the actual distro
It's the knowledge and the dedication you guys have.
When I really need to know something all roads for me
lead back to this forum.

Anyway, I can tell you that, to be honest I'm sort of on the side
of people who mistrust systemd and so have been messing with pretty much EVERY
non-systemd linux distro and unix variant possible
From MX Linux to openindiana and everything inbetween
I doubt you could name a non-systemd distro I have not now tried
They have their faults, it's true
Some are too complex to install, others are lacking a decent knowledge base
some lack a decent package manager
I am often tempted to just accept systemd is here to stay
I know it prolly wont happen but my greatest hope is that you guys get a
non-systemd version of Bunsenlabs going, though I think I read another thread
where you said it would likely never happen

ANYWAY I just thought I'd say that the two best non-systemd OS's I found were Illumos openindiana and Void Linux. I've really done my research on non-systemd OS's to the extent of my limited knowledge and needs

Last edited by THX1138 (2020-02-14 18:51:34)

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

#878 2020-02-14 21:04:30

Bridouz
Website

I've too been messing with non-systemd distributions.

• Void is really nice

• Alpine is very minimal and is becoming really great for desktop use

• I've also tried Kiss Linux, Dylan Araps is a very talented and dedicated guy. But compilation id a very time-consuming process and does not give many performance improvements

And in the end I came back on Debian/BunsenLabs. Stable is really nice for me. To have an OS which does not change and works without too many tweaks is a must-have. Too much stuff to do in Life 1.0.

Last edited by Bridouz (2020-02-14 21:04:47)

#879 2020-02-15 17:55:42

Nili
Website

When i started my journey on Linux systemd it hadn't yet infected major distros like Arch, Debian or even Fedora for end-users.

While i was in #! (Waldorf) also on testing (Janice) felt the first systemd transitions, at first i didn't accept it, but i got used to it on my daily tasks.
Since Janice never saw the light of day unfortunately. I was able to move on Debian Jessie, thanks to users/tutorial from #! forum managed to install my first custom NETINST.

So, I learned to survive and live with systemd, For two years i used systemd. In the meantime, time after time i saw that another system was emerging. That was Dev1, while i had an eye there, one day decided to give it a try. At first I liked the fact that the ISO was only 220MB. I'm really obsessed with distro size, less the better. Once i installed Dev1 My first impression was. Well that's Debian Wheezy or Crunchbang Waldorf that i was used to have fun.
I installed it and from that day one of my desktops is with it. However, sometimes i go to Install Debian like 10.3 i did few days ago, however already i can't find myself there anymore for many reasons.

systemd has brought a lot of benefits and facilities to users or mostly new users, at the same time has separated some others because of it's policies or the other standarts she wants to decide to made.

The reason i don't use BunsenLabs is because of systemd sorry, but i was part of this forum for many years. I have seen many hours of works and adjusts, my dear BL friends have done over the years, despite not using it, I congratulate and wish them only to achieve every possible purpose or exemplary achievement.

To make BL non systemd, I see ther's no point to make another non-systemd distro. It requires a great deal of energy or resources of people available.
Everybody who use it, enjoy the BL cake as it is imo!

My primary distro now is FreeBSD, I'm still new to this system or BSD-derivates, but I'm glad I took the first steps on BSD.

- Nothing beats peace and quiet - Tomoki Sakurai

#880 2020-02-23 07:32:02

Colonel Panic

Sometimes I feel like I'm the least qualified person on this forum to comment on technical matters where Linux is concerned, but despite that I'd like to say that for me the jury's still out on systemd; I use distros both with it (such as Bunsen) and without it (such as Slackware and Devuan). I think it's good that alternatives still exist for those who want them.

I recently installed ExGent, a Swedish distro based on Gentoo, and am learning a bit about Gentoo as a result. It doesn't have as big a repository as Debian has (I couldn't find a way to install Osmo, for example) and compiling a package such as Thunderbird or LibreOffice takes literally hours, but once it's all up and running it seems to be trouble free.

Last edited by Colonel Panic (2020-02-23 09:48:37)

#881 2020-02-24 07:27:45

ohnonot
...again
Website

Colonel Panic wrote:

I'd like to say that for me the jury's still out on systemd; I use distros both with it (such as Bunsen) and without it (such as Slackware and Devuan). I think it's good that alternatives still exist for those who want them.

Totally agree.
I happened to start using ArchLinux I think 2 years after they switched to systemd (which they did in 2012, only Fedora before that!). So, early adopters.
At that time I was blissfully unaware of such topics, but in retrospect I can say if you want to try a distro that uses systemd, and uses it well, try Archlinux. Or Fedora or CentOS.

BL quote proposals to this thread please.
how to ask smart questions | my repos / my repos | my blog
---
Thank you for posting direct image links!

#882 2020-02-24 07:44:14

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ohnonot wrote:

if you want to try a distro that uses systemd, and uses it well, try Archlinux. Or Fedora or CentOS.

Genuinely interested, not trolling, why do you not include Debian in that group?

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#883 2020-02-24 08:00:22

ohnonot
...again
Website

johnraff wrote:

Genuinely interested, not trolling, why do you not include Debian in that group?

Question of how much time they had to get familiar with & integrate it.
See the link I provided.
Also AL's philosophy of getting rid of cruft & sticking to what upstream provides, there's a natural interest to replace more and more things with systemd solutions.

---

#884 2020-02-24 08:40:45

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Thanks. That fits Arch's image I guess, while in Debian the discussion (at least it's no longer a flame war) still goes on...

...but of course Debian users are still free to pursue systemd solutions as they wish. I'm not sure if late adoption necessarily meant less familiarity on the part of developers. Debian are late adopting anything, on principle I think, just as Arch's principle is the exact opposite.

Last edited by johnraff (2020-02-24 08:43:19)

#885 2020-02-24 09:40:30

Sun For Miles

johnraff wrote:

Debian are late adopting anything, on principle I think, just as Arch's principle is the exact opposite.

That is my understanding as well.

Arch is so bleeding edge that there is zero support for old versions (even security updates are not being backported), which is a mix of a rolling distro and bleeding edge trait. If you want a stable bleeding edge distro you have many options, for example Debian - Unstable branch. smile

In the end, it is just a question of what do people want from a distro, both long and short term.

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

#886 2020-02-24 14:26:28

glittersloth
...village idiot

ohnonot wrote:
johnraff wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

if you want to try a distro that uses systemd, and uses it well, try Archlinux. Or Fedora or CentOS.

Question of how much time they had to get familiar with & integrate it.

Wouldn't that also apply to CentOS then?
Sure, I know there are differences between how Red Hat and Debian do things - the former might, on occasion include something that's slightly less than rock stable in the hope of hardening it solid early on during the long release cycles of CentOS or RHEL, while the latter only ever takes stuff that has moss growing on it - but both generally aren't current by design.

Last edited by glittersloth (2020-02-24 14:28:16)

#887 2020-02-26 07:49:34

ohnonot
...again
Website

Nobody seems to have clicked on the link I provided:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd#Adoption
It's all very simple really, look at these dates (added to repo/released as default):
Fedora November 2010 / May 2011
Archlinux January 2012 / October 2012
Centos April 2014 / April 2014
Debian April 2012 / April 2015

I'm not saying ArchLinux is superior or the only distro that "knows" systemd; all I said is "if you want to try a distro that uses systemd, and uses it well, try Archlinux." Not only because the ArchWiki has extremely detailed documentation on systemd, but also because other things don't get in the way so much.

Also, imo, ArchLinux is cutting edge (=sharp), not bleeding edge (=pain). There's a difference.
In my experience, pretty stable.

Over and out.

---

#888 2020-02-26 14:58:54

ratcheer

Sorry, I've been running Arch for years, so that didn't really pique my interest. But everything you say is correct.

Also, the term "bleeding edge" makes me cringe, even if used for a distro or software that is so far out there that it's painful. But, the term is so commonly used now that I guess I should stop worrying about it.

#889 2020-03-22 20:59:12

beaker

I've been playing with one of my Solus Plasma installations primarily because I have a friend who had a hard drive bite the dust. Photorec has done a great job in recovering most of his data I believe. For those of you who have used this software before you will know data recovery takes a long time - so I've been using this Solus Plamsa installation for days - and it's great.

My daily for the last 6months has been KissLinux with SoWM window manager. Its blindingly fast but requires a lot of tinkering. I've realised that 99% of my computer use is just browsing the internet and rummmaging around file managers etc. It's not worth the effort when this Solus Plasma installation is pretty darned quick and everything just works effortlessly.

DylanAraps and Kisslinux and the rest of his software is great. Best wishes but adieu. I'm installing Solus Plasma on my main PC.

#890 2020-03-23 00:26:01

eight.bit.al

^ Loved it. Like you say, everything just just works. Well, almost. As soon as I open firefox and try to load a web page, my cable modem would reset. Started after I'd been running it for just over a week. Tried everything I could think of, including reinstall.  Really disappointed. Went with the default theme, and had to tweak very little, just liked the way it comes set up. It's package manager is very similar to Debian Apt, so small leaning curve there. When I can afford it, I'll replace the cable modem with one of my own and go back to it.

8bit

EDIT: With all implementations of Plasma, I like to turn off all the wobbly windows, fades, slides, transparent terminal backgrounds, etc. When I select something, I want it to happen immediately.

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-03-23 01:02:04)

The Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.

#891 2020-03-23 06:25:51

beaker

@eight.bit.al. That's really weird re:your cable modem.

To be honest I could just have easily have said KDE neon and/or Manjaro KDE. I have had good experiences with those also.

I dont't use wobbly windows either, and keep it discrete.

#892 2020-03-23 07:35:08

ohnonot
...again
Website

eight.bit.al wrote:

As soon as I open firefox and try to load a web page, my cable modem would reset.

Are you saying this happens only with a certain distro? So, when the problem occurs, you have also tested with a different distro?

FWIW, my cable modem blocks internet traffic sometimes when I "tinker too much" - happened recently after installing SailfishOS on a smartphone & installing lots of stuff.
I suspect it's a firewall setting, but the modem's web UI is very limited, I can't really troubleshoot. I just reset the modem, all good until next time.

---

#893 2020-03-23 14:54:12

eight.bit.al

beaker wrote:

@To be honest I could just have easily have said KDE neon and/or Manjaro KDE.

Both worked well for me too. Neon is based on Ubuntu, and that doesn't work for me. Same for Manjaro, based on Arch. No thanks. I want my computer to work for me, not the other way around, and pacman is too much work. At nearly 70, short term memory isn't what it once was, and pacman is too complicated to remember easily. Not meant to offend anyone, freedom of choice and all that. In this case, compilation means power. Knock yourself out. smile

I don't use wobbly windows either, and keep it discrete.

(typo fixed by me)

And with all that silliness (IMHO) turned off, what's left is a fresh, modern, and snappy UI that makes other DEs (cover your ears Xfce) look dated.

ohnonot wrote:

Are you saying this happens only with a certain distro? So, when the problem occurs, you have also tested with a different distro?

Yes. And only after ten days or so using it. I suspect SuddenLink pushed an update to the modem, It's the only thing I can think might have changed. I haven't keep track, but I've booted and/or installed 100+ distros on this hardware. Lately, every Plasma distro I can find.

... the modem's web UI is very limited, I can't really troubleshoot. I just reset the modem, all good until next time.

Same here. Gateway/modem is so locked down, I can't even set it to bridge mode. One thing or another keeps coming up, but as soon as I can afford it, It gets returned to SL.

Wishing the best for all of you in this troubled time.

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-03-23 15:02:10)

#894 2020-03-23 20:06:03

beaker

eight.bit.al wrote:

Wishing the best for all of you in this troubled time.

8bit

^ and to you 8bit and everyone else.

My country has gone into full lockdown

#895 2020-05-30 02:56:51

eight.bit.al

Pure Buster with the lightest Xfce I've seen.
A young distro just getting started.

DXT2
https://dxt2.co.za/

The LiveCD is 675MB
The InstallCD is 380MB

Look in /usr/share/dxt2 for some scripts to install programs and a script to create an iso of your creation.

8bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2020-05-30 08:20:32)

#896 2020-05-30 05:41:11

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^That looks nice! Downloading now...

#897 2020-06-11 01:28:00

eight.bit.al

MiyoLinux

A scaled-down Linux based on the latest Devuan with System V, and Openbox.

Miyo = Make It Your Own. Comes with no pre-installed major applications.

https://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/2 … /MiyoLinux

https://sourceforge.net/p/miyolinux/wiki/Home/

Miyo_0.th.pngMiyo_1.th.pngMiyo_2.th.pngMiyo_3.th.png

I installed screenfetch and xfce4-screenshooter and changed the wallpaper for this post.
I really like this one. I could move right in and stay awhile.

8bit

#898 2020-06-11 04:28:07

hhh
Meep!
Website

^ 270MB RAM is really good, nice find. I love that Deepin theme spin.

#899 2020-06-11 13:48:37

ratcheer

Very interesting, @8bit. I have been toying with the idea of switching to Devuan. Miyo looks great!

#900 2020-06-11 17:25:37

eight.bit.al

MiyoLinux install notes:

First time using the Refractra Installer.

Early in the install process, one is presented with a screen of choices. Two of which are:
Create a new, separate /home partition
Create a separate /boot partition

I like to create the partitions before running the install. Wording in the installer is from the standpoint there aren't existing partitions. These two choices might be better worded as Use a separate partition. Options to create partitions are offered in the next screen.

Throughout the installer when one is given options; even when there is only one option, it must be highlighted to be selected. This bit me a couple of times. Like in the option to select the swap partition, there is only one choice, but it must be highlighted to select it. When the options are part of a dropdown menu, selected choices won't be highlighted.  o.0

There is no 'Back' option. If a mistake is made, one has to start over.  Select cancel, and in the Terminal window that starts the install process, enter the password, 'miyo' to restart the process.

Later in the install. one is offered the choices:
Permit sudo for new user? (and keep root account)
Use sudo for new user (and disable root account)
Use sudo only for shutdown (and keep root account)

One can check all three boxes before selecting 'OK'.  I didn't want to see what happened if this was done, I was tired of starting over. Selected option two. I can sudo passwd root to turn it back on later.

The challenge of using a new installer is part of distro hopping. :-)

8bit

Board footer