You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-22 19:24:31

laanan

[Resolved] Runaway Mozilla

Hi folks,

Random new behavior with Mozilla/the default browser. When I open Mozilla, it immediately starts opening an infinite amount of instances, clogging up to toolbar and freezing the system. Nothing I do seems to get the system to respond except for a hard reboot.

I’ve tried keyboard commands, but there is no response. Does anyone have any recommendations for 1) wresting control back from Mozilla and 2) fixing the problem?

Laptop was functioning completely normally when I went to bed last night...

[Edit]

Thanks folks for the help. The "fix" that worked was moving my .mozilla folder to .mozilla-old, and then restarting Mozilla. This stopped Mozilla from stealing the system, but, annoyingly, means that I no longer have any saved passwords or history. Oh well!

Last edited by laanan (2020-03-28 02:35:31)

#2 2020-03-22 22:33:00

rbh

Re: [Resolved] Runaway Mozilla

laanan wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for 1) wresting control back from Mozilla and 2) fixing the problem?

Test to rename ~/.mozilla/firefox to ~/.mozilla/firefox.error. Probabley everything works ok when you start firefox and a new profile is created.

If you have sync enabled, it gets more complicated...

// Regards rbh

#3 2020-03-22 23:45:50

DeepDayze

Re: [Resolved] Runaway Mozilla

rbh wrote:
laanan wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for 1) wresting control back from Mozilla and 2) fixing the problem?

Test to rename ~/.mozilla/firefox to ~/.mozilla/firefox.error. Probabley everything works ok when you start firefox and a new profile is created.

If you have sync enabled, it gets more complicated...

Disable sync temporarily as well.

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer