You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-15 18:46:46

naphelge

dumped to Read-only prompt during boot-up after Display changes

I just installed BunsenLabs on a desktop that uses the TV for its monitor. Everytime I login I have to manually change the display resolution. So after doing it again today I saved the Display config as `BL_1360x768.sh` in a `~/.screen` folder (or some such similar folder the Display's SaveAs utility set as a default).

I added a line in the Openbox `autostart` file to process `BL_1360x768.sh &`.

Now when the machine boots up I get dumped into a `Read-only` prompt with a display resolution that makes reading anything quite difficult.

I also have Manjaro installed on the same machine, so I CHROOT to my Bunsenlabs partition when logged into Manjaro, I removed the `BL_1360x768.sh &` line I added to the Openbox `autostart` file, as that was the only change I made before this issue became a problem. Unfortunately this did not resolve the issue as I hoped.

Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated.

Last edited by naphelge (2020-03-15 19:16:00)

#2 2020-03-15 19:55:07

damo
....moderator....

Re: dumped to Read-only prompt during boot-up after Display changes

naphelge wrote:

I just installed BunsenLabs on a desktop that uses the TV for its monitor. Everytime I login I have to manually change the display resolution. So after doing it again today I saved the Display config as `BL_1360x768.sh` in a `~/.screen` folder (or some such similar folder the Display's SaveAs utility set as a default).

I added a line in the Openbox `autostart` file to process `BL_1360x768.sh &`.

Now when the machine boots up I get dumped into a `Read-only` prompt with a display resolution that makes reading anything quite difficult.

I also have Manjaro installed on the same machine, so I CHROOT to my Bunsenlabs partition when logged into Manjaro, I removed the `BL_1360x768.sh &` line I added to the Openbox `autostart` file, as that was the only change I made before this issue became a problem. Unfortunately this did not resolve the issue as I hoped.

Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated.

If you were using the arandr display settings utility, it stores the script in ~/.screenlayout, so the command should have been

./.screenlayout/BL_1360x768.sh

You could also run the command on its own after login to set the screen resolution manually, then put it back in your autostart.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2020-03-15 20:36:07

rbh

Or you can copy the content of the xandr dispely seting skript (BL_1360x768.sh) in autostart instead of calling the skript from autostart.

Last edited by rbh (2020-03-15 20:37:10)

// Regards rbh

#4 2020-03-15 23:56:30

naphelge

Ok great, putting the settings directly in `~/.config/openbox/autostart` got me past the failed boot `Read-only prompt` and I can login once again. But, the display still gets set incorrectly and I have to manually reset it. Here's the display settings from the `ARandR Screen Layout Editor` utility that I put into my `~/.config/openbox/autostart` file:

## Set display
xrandr --ouput DisplayPort-0 --off --output DVI-0 --mode 1360x768 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal

Does it matter where in the autostart file I put that snippet, or does the snippet even look right? Thks.

#5 2020-03-16 00:14:59

damo
....moderator....

This is where I put my screenlayout script ie before the wallpaper and compositor startup

#### set screen resolution
./.screenlayout/1920x1080.sh

## Set a wallpaper
nitrogen --restore

## Compton
## NOTE: composition must be started before tint2
bl-compositor --start

You shouldn't need an "&" after these commands, because they do their thing and exit, one after the other. For example you want the display resolution completed before setting the background, so don't try and fork the script.

As I said before - use the dot notation at the start of the script path, since .screenlayout isn't in your ${PATH} environment. You could put it in ~/bin, and start it with just the script name if you want.

Last edited by damo (2020-03-16 00:17:48)

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#6 2020-03-16 07:10:00

ohnonot
...again
Website

naphelge wrote:

Ok great, putting the settings directly in `~/.config/openbox/autostart` got me past the failed boot `Read-only prompt` and I can login once again. But, the display still gets set incorrectly and I have to manually reset it. Here's the display settings from the `ARandR Screen Layout Editor` utility that I put into my `~/.config/openbox/autostart` file:

## Set display
xrandr --ouput DisplayPort-0 --off --output DVI-0 --mode 1360x768 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal

Does it matter where in the autostart file I put that snippet, or does the snippet even look right? Thks.

As early as possible I'd say.
And if that's what arandr produced, and it worked when you tested it manually (you did, didn't you?) then it's "right".

Something's off about your first post - an error in ~/.config/openbox/autostart (is that the file you originally edited?) should not result in catastrophic failure. I'm also unclear what this "Read-only prompt" is supposed to be, I've never heard of that. Maybe sth similar, but not that late in the boot process.
Also, by any computer logic, undoing what caused the error should revert the error, so there must have been something else.
And why did it solve so easily the second time? Curiouser and curiouser...

Board footer