You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-10 04:14:05

laanan

Why Lithium?

Hello, just wondering if I can get a basic rundown of the why and what to expect behind the development of Bunsen Labs Lithium. Is it just to catch up to Debian Buster?

#2 2020-02-10 04:29:26

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: Why Lithium?

Short answer: Yes. We try to stay current with Debian stable, and we are behind ATM.

Long answer: No. jgmenu, new bl-OB v default OB session options, theme updates (myself, but also now @cog, we're hoping @bronto gets his sails floating too), BLOB upgrades... @johnraff, @malm and, back from the near-dead, @damo are implementing a lot of improvements. Seriously, the Release Notes for Lithium are going to be extensive.

#3 2020-02-13 19:37:31

laanan

Makes sense to me and sounds awesome. I am really enjoying using Bunsen Labs!

#4 2020-02-29 15:39:46

jimjamz

hhh wrote:

Short answer: Yes. We try to stay current with Debian stable, and we are behind ATM.

Long answer: No. jgmenu, new bl-OB v default OB session options, theme updates (myself, but also now @cog, we're hoping @bronto gets his sails floating too), BLOB upgrades... @johnraff, @malm and, back from the near-dead, @damo are implementing a lot of improvements. Seriously, the Release Notes for Lithium are going to be extensive.

As I also expect the release notes to be quite extensive, perhaps it might be useful to put together something now in advance, so that users can check out what is currently being worked on and why those design decisions were made.
It would certainly make interesting reading in advance.
An alternative to this may be a developer blog that users can stay in tune with what it being worked on.  Not to impose on the time of the contributors, a rule could be applied to state that they don't spend more than 5 to 10 minutes on it for each day of development.

It would also minimise the amount of duplication and hopefully reduce the amount of times moderators have to repeat themselves when users ask about the upcoming features.

It works for software development companies I've worked with.  This is merely just a suggestion though.

#5 2020-03-01 02:07:01

hhh
Meep!
Website

jimjamz wrote:

As I also expect the release notes to be quite extensive, perhaps it might be useful to put together something now in advance, so that users can check out what is currently being worked on and why those design decisions were made.
It would certainly make interesting reading in advance.

@damo has a beginner tutorial for the new replacement to the Openbox right-click menu, jgmenu by @malm. This one new feature is already an extensive addition, as is the new walk-through being created by @damo with the help of BL user feedback...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=6512

Board footer