You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-30 21:04:15

AndrewSmart

Windows 7 EOL converts some to Linux

I believe there were 2-3 people recently switching from using MS Windows to linux in this forum.

"Ditch Windows 7 For Ubuntu Linux With This Great Guide" on Forbes.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevang … linux/amp/

What finally got me to stop "dual booting", using Windows at all, was installing Windows 7 coincidentally (to support a new video game that didn't support XP).

With horror I realized it had  wrote over the first few hundred MB of an encrypted Debian partition/disk with priceless data on it, as part of the install. I was livid.

I even had the foresight to physically detatch all other HDDs prior to installing Windows to avert risk, but plugged to victim back in momentarily to google something.

I still recall the decryption passphrase... I hope to eventually figure out how to undo the damage. Clone the 1.5TB partition, decrypt somehow, and use testdisk to fix the partition from backup superblocks or whatever.

Last edited by AndrewSmart (2020-01-30 21:06:38)

#2 2020-01-30 22:35:13

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: Windows 7 EOL converts some to Linux

Shouldn't the Subject Title be "Windows and Apple loses users to Linux Daily"?

cool

Remember, kids... only users lose propriety operating systems.

#3 2020-01-31 02:06:05

DeepDayze

You can say that for Windows 10 which has become more like spyware with each feature update. Linux is my daily driver at home and can just about everything in Linux I could do on Windows without expensive software that's pretty much going to subscription pricing.

Real Men Use Linux

#4 2020-01-31 02:55:56

hhh
Meep!
Website

^ Let's not forget their awful updates when compared to Debian stable and BunsenLabs, or Debian sid or Arch or Fedora or any other Linux distro, even Ubuntu.

#5 2020-01-31 02:59:01

DeepDayze

hhh wrote:

^ Let's not forget their awful updates when compared to Debian stable and BunsenLabs, or Debian sid or Arch or Fedora or any other Linux distro, even Ubuntu.

Indeed...that's the advantage of Linux. Of course there might be a broken updated package but that's usually easily fixed when bug reports get filed.  With Windows, a buggy update would usually take longer to fix if MS gets around to it.

Lately with the spate of rather dodgy updates Windows 10 has become a bugaboo.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-01-31 02:59:40)

Real Men Use Linux

#6 2020-01-31 03:04:39

cog
Cattle Baron
Website

I feel like it really comes down to software availability.  If/when (it seems like they're gonna do it since they did teams) Microsoft releases office for Linux and Adobe CC then it'll be a home run.  I happily use libreoffice for work and it does a lot of things better.  Fortunately I have no need for Adobe's tools.

I don't think anyone would argue the linux desktop is far surperior to Windows without the opt-out update nightmare taboot.  It's just those tools people use on top that's been the big show stopper.  Lots of peeps hate Mac or Windows but just love those apps they can run on top of them.

Morning, Bunny.  Well, I can see you're in good health.  -George Washington McLintock! (John Wayne, AKA the Duke)

#7 2020-01-31 03:41:01

DeepDayze

Windows is a virus and malware magnet. A properly set up Linux system can resist many of these attacks.

I would like to see MS Office for Linux as well as Adobe's tools on Linux...be the best of many worlds!

Already MS has inched closer as they had released a MS Teams client that runs natively on Linux.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-01-31 03:43:34)

Real Men Use Linux

#8 2020-01-31 04:34:04

hhh
Meep!
Website

cog wrote:

... It's just those tools people use on top that's been the big show stopper.  Lots of peeps hate Mac or Windows but just love those apps they can run on top of them.

This is it in a nutshell, only it's not just peeps, it's businesses. Hell, glitter is on Apple because, duh, graphics.

I work in a restaurant. We use Hotschedules (Microsoft, right?) and Upserve (formerly Breadcrumb, a P.O.S./point-of-service, how you ring up the order) on iPads, we use Sonos for our stereo, we import Mexican drug-cartel-controlled avocados. And the owner and his wife are becoming my friends, they actually care. We compost our food waste, for goodness sake, they want to do good things! But everything becomes compromised when you add money to it. We use Amazon! GAA!!!

I could probably cut our "evil corporation" usage by 60% inside of a week, but there's no interest. These are the tools that have become the industry standard.

Name me a Linux alternative to the Point Of Service restaurant application that was Breadcrumb and is now Upserve. Upserve comes in two flavors, run it on their own hardware or run it on Apple. No Linux version to date.

#9 2020-01-31 05:04:28

AndrewSmart

DeepDayze wrote:

Windows is a virus and malware magnet. A properly set up Linux system can resist many of these attacks.

Android too I fear. I guess my fault as I tried running questionable software to root an old Android phone. I suspect I was keylogged on Linux by the Android, while it was connected to Linux machine over USB. Because a week or two later I started getting these emails with a new password I'd typed, to an email address I'd typed on the Linux machine. Maybe I'm paranoid... I'm not sure how it could have read /dev/input, evdev, or whatever.

My friendly tin-foil hat advice is charge the phone only over a dedicated USB powersupply, not your computer's USB port...

On Windows XP and 7 I refused to browse the web on them period, not safe! Only video games. I'd only browse the web on Linux.

DeepDayze wrote:

I would like to see MS Office for Linux as well as Adobe's tools on Linux...be the best of many worlds!

Already MS has inched closer as they had released a MS Teams client that runs natively on Linux.

I'm a simple man. Microsoft and their direction puzzles me. Taking ownership of GitHub. Embracing opensource. This is not what a fortune 500 company focusing on next quarter's profit does. I'm so confused.

I'm happy to have not used MS Office or libreoffice for 6+ years now. Google docs and LyX for me, so convenient to be able to do concurrent web editing with others and not worry about loosing my files. Spreadsheet javascript macros may cost $ to run on the cloud though.

Last edited by AndrewSmart (2020-01-31 05:09:26)

#10 2020-01-31 05:13:43

hhh
Meep!
Website

AndrewSmart wrote:

I'm a simple man. Microsoft and their direction puzzles me. Taking ownership of GitHub. Embracing opensource. This is not what a fortune 500 company focusing on next quarter's profit does. I'm so confused.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_ … Foundation

2 decades and going strong. The dude is crazy rich, and just plain crazy (like a fox), but he's not a donkey's behind.

#11 2020-02-15 05:00:01

glittersloth
...straight talkin'

Saw this and chuckled; https://www.notebookcheck.net/Windows-1 … 784.0.html

Glad to see the spirit of the old Lindows lives on, somewhere....

#12 2020-02-15 13:43:46

ohnonot
...again
Website

glittersloth wrote:

I'm pretty sure this guy was trolling LQ not so long ago!

I had to research this a little.
Some example threads of the poster in question:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question … 175667786/
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question … 175668005/
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question … 175667050/
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question … 175667800/
They are a fun read.
OP basically advertises/sells mainstream distro respins with a Windows 10 wallpaper.
All threads mention the site ginamiller.co.uk - which is now defunct, but looked a *lot* like the one mentioned in the notebookscheck article. I am also 100% sure that site linked to the same webhouses products. I will not post a link here, but if you decide to have a look there's some funny stuff, like a Kali Linux Windows 10 edition for only £18!
Here is one post that does mention webhouses.co.uk:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question … ost5971365

It's interesting how some online dwellers dither between trolling and spamming, and how easy it is for them to erase a "failed" online identity and start anew.

Remember the trolls, and save weird sites to archive.org!

Last edited by ohnonot (2020-02-15 13:49:17)

#13 2020-02-18 04:24:12

DeepDayze

glittersloth wrote:

Saw this and chuckled; https://www.notebookcheck.net/Windows-1 … 784.0.html

Glad to see the spirit of the old Lindows lives on, somewhere....

Ahh Lindows (reborn as LinSpire)...that was one snazzy distro that crossed the divide between Linux and Windows in a cool way.

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer