You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-16 00:45:33

therogeryoung

My Error - dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executab

Hi

Firstly I've searched the forums here and found nothing on this -forgive me (and link me to it) if there is such a post, secondly i've been out into the wider internet and found some solutions, which don't seem like solutions and the three that could have worked didn't, I'll get to that.

dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable

&

Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, usr/sbin, and /sbin

&

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

Is the error that comes up when I am trying to re-install the Broadcom WiFi Drivers, or re/install anything really.

And, I believe from other posts, related is the FAILED: no stop start something (went too fast for me this time) that flashes past during boot.

I'm on a MacBook 2009 4,1 - the trusty white guy. I've had to haul him out of the cupboard since I was burgled last year and recently have just given up on Snow Leopard (the last OS it can run) for lack of app support to the point of cloud service non-functionality.

I found Helium after a long audition process, with no terminal experience whatsoever. During that audition process the one thing i learned was that I cannot delete the Mac partition entirely as without it key drivers won't work over on the linux/debian/ubuntu/whatever-distro-i-was-running side. So after I installed Helium, to try make more space for it I started slimming down the Mac OS and um, kinda broke it.

I've tried, in the hope that I don't actually need to fix it, as all that went wrong initially was the wifi networks were suddenly not available. So i pulled all the correct firmwares and firmware cutters off the various places and got to work, and then the ldconfig started happening.

It was suggested that I edit /etc/sudoers and add some Default lines, which I did, but wasn't sure where they were meant to go, and sure enough on the next reboot, to no effect, the were actually gone from the config(or whatever sudoers is) file.

I tried to echo PATH reset/relink the paths, as suggested, to no effect, both by terminal and by editing another config file.

And I've tried using Terminal root, and su and su - all to no visible effect

The only difference now is that instead of before, when installer packages used to give me an error in the terminal window portion of the install reading "The install cannot continue because of a fault", now the installer will simply stop and error message will read "This install has failed because you tried to install a file that no longer exists" - yet the file is right there in the folder still.

I've made a live rescue USB, and ran it in GUI mode, only to find myself at the point where I thought something magical would happen to fix things, and instead was greated by a terminal like interface that was very un-GUI.

What's the score chaps? Do I have to wipe the whole thing, re-install MacOS, and the Helium from scratch? Or is there a save?

My Helium iso is from Matts's Gradient and I'm using Refind to manage my dual boot. The Mac is a 32bit but the iso is somehow wangled to allow Helium to run as 64.

Can you hear how un-terminal savvy I am? All help will be super appreciated. I'm now working off an Acer Aspire One on which I could only get LinuxLite 3.8 to load, which then somehow magically became Ubuntu Studio and runs so hot that after half an hour I literally have to put oven gloves on to be able to type - please excuse spelling errors.

Last edited by therogeryoung (2020-02-16 00:51:13)

#2 2020-02-16 19:42:37

rbh

Re: My Error - dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executab

" It seems like the PATH variable isn't correctly set when the user tries to execute a command through sudo" From unix.stackexchange  Use solution 1.

You are writing a lot I don't get the hang of and some I need to comment. "My Helium iso is from Matts's Gradient " Dou you mena that you have downloaded Bunsenlabs iso from another server? Ther is no need of doing that and I strongly advice against.

"I tried to echo PATH reset/relink the paths, as suggested, to no effect," To echo the path, is done to examine the path, not to change anything!
The command

$ echo $PATH

prints your path,

"It was suggested that I edit /etc/sudoers and add some Default lines, which I did, but wasn't sure where they were meant to go, and sure enough on the next reboot, to no effect, the were actually gone from the config(or whatever sudoers is) file."

And that is the advice I gave again. But maybe you should shy the terminal and editing configuration files? Maybe you should reinstall?

" I'm using Refind to manage my dual boot." You mean https://rodsbooks.com/refind/? I do not understand why. Both Helium and Lithium should be able to boot an uefi-pc...

"What's the score chaps? Do I have to wipe the whole thing, re-install MacOS, and the Helium from scratch? Or is there a save?"

Do you need the MacOS? If not don't reinstall it.

But,maybe you should by an preinstalled Linux comp and by paid support?

// Regards rbh

Board footer