You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-06 00:13:44

pstrg

[SOLVED] VirtualBox imported .ova file doesn't start

I'm using Helium as a VM under VirtualBox (Windows host).

Exported the machine as .ova in order to use it on another computer.
However, after importing the virtual appliance and double clicking its icon, instead of the usual startup image I got the screen below.
IMG-20200105-183836956-MP.jpg

What's going on?

Last edited by pstrg (2020-01-16 23:46:36)

#2 2020-01-06 02:28:15

DeepDayze

Re: [SOLVED] VirtualBox imported .ova file doesn't start

Hmm...this seems to be strange to me. Check the setting for the VM to be sane?

Last edited by DeepDayze (2020-01-06 02:29:32)

Real Men Use Linux

#3 2020-01-06 03:47:48

pstrg

It should be... I just exported a fully working machine (in order not to have to install everything again) and imported it on another machine.

I note that - while I was evaluating other distros, before settling with Helium - that some of them presented such a screen, instead of a install screen and I set them aside.

#4 2020-01-06 09:22:35

rbh

Have you tried boot live dist and fsck the partitions?
Can you mount them from live dist after fsck?

What does the virtualbox log say?

// Regards rbh

#5 2020-01-06 10:20:47

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

@pstrg: and both Virtualboxes (on both computer)) are the exactly same version, and both has (not) installed GA?

And (if GA is installed) shared flder on host exists, and USB2/3 exists ... and so on and on?

It is just an idea to check ...

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#6 2020-01-06 14:08:50

pstrg

Sure - shared folder on new host machine has the same name; USB 2 and 3 are present etc.
Took the care, before starting import, to uncheck audio and LAN adapters, because they could be different on the new host.
(But on first try I didn't uncheck and result was the same).

#7 2020-01-06 16:42:23

rbh

pstrg wrote:

Sure - shared folder on new host machine has the same name; USB 2 and 3 are present etc.
Took the care, before starting import, to uncheck audio and LAN adapters, because they could be different on the new host.
(But on first try I didn't uncheck and result was the same).

None of that should have caused your boot error.

Have you run fsck? Able to mount partitions from live.iso?

If so, does the original guest still work?

Why have you enabel Efi? Your Windows host, might require that but not your linux guest.
Can you still boot your original guest if you uncheck Efi?
If so, a new ova export should work. (If you don't run your guest from a physical disk...)

If no, you can reinstall grubb or edit efi-setting on your new guest. (See https://askubuntu.com/questions/566315/ … tive-shell

Lastly: Why use gpt-label? Is the guest disk bigger than 2TB? Old MSDos Table is easier to handle.

// Regards rbh

#8 2020-01-06 16:45:25

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

^Hm ... then I don't know what's the problem. Perhaps different processor on different computer, Intel <--> AMD?

I would test it myself, but at the moment my VBox 6.0 is not compatible with new (sid) kernel 5.4. (New VBox version 6.1 should be, but I didn't test it ...)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#9 2020-01-06 16:55:44

pstrg

Both are AMD.
I'm using the latest VirtualBox - 6.1.0 - in both hosts.

#10 2020-01-13 18:44:34

pstrg

Update

Saw on one VirtualBox log of the exported Helium that failed to start something like C:\Q:\... which is illegal - imagined that VirtualBox export could be inserting undesired original .vdi location on the .ova (my machines resided on disk Q:). Sorry, misplaced the log and couldn't find it later...

Now that I had the time, moved the machines to C: on the original host, and exported Helium again - same problem, can't get to the graphic start page.
Next did exactly the same process to export a Ubuntu-mini .vdi and it worked with no problem on the new machine.

Just to repeat: EFI settings OK, both machines have AMD processors.
It seems the problem to be somehow related to Helium.
Ready to send additional data as required; Ubuntu-mini is fine but I like Helium better.

#11 2020-01-13 21:52:19

rbh

pstrg wrote:

Just to repeat: EFI settings OK, both machines have AMD processors.

I asked: Why Efi-settings and gpt-table on the guest? Have you tried to disable that on the original guest and export again?

It seems the problem to be somehow related to Helium.
Ready to send additional data as required; Ubuntu-mini is fine but I like Helium better.

I asked about the secondary guest:
Have you tried boot live dist and fsck the partitions?
Can you mount them from live dist after fsck?

Have you tried to reinstall grub (or edit efi-setting, if you dont want to disable that) acording to information in previous link?

I have not seen anyone reporting your problems with Helium before, så it's not Helium related.

Last edited by rbh (2020-01-13 22:06:09)

// Regards rbh

#12 2020-01-13 22:24:46

rbh

pstrg wrote:

Now that I had the time, moved the machines to C: on the original host, and exported Helium again

But, you can not "move a vm" to another disk on the host! You can move the virtual disk. You mean you did that?

// Regards rbh

#13 2020-01-13 22:49:13

pstrg

Disabled EFI on source machine; no GPT-table related option.
Exported the modified source.
As a result, I don't even have the screen that refer to startup.nsh, but simply a line stating:
FATAL: NO bootable medium found! System halted.

Note that in order to test, I import with VirtualBox the exported .ova file into the new machine.

I can't try to boot live... the photo I posted earlier is all I get.
The usual first screen which gives me that option doesn't even appear.

p.s.1 Just a comment: shouldn't an exported machine simply start, without one having to resort to fsck and reinstalling grub?

p.s.2 I didn't choose GPT - don't know why such is mentioned in the messages on the photo.

p.s.2 Presumed it could be related to Helium because Ubuntu booted while I used the same settings to export.

#14 2020-01-13 22:57:24

pstrg

rbh wrote:
pstrg wrote:

Now that I had the time, moved the machines to C: on the original host, and exported Helium again

But, you can not "move a vm" to another disk on the host! You can move the virtual disk. You mean you did that?

Yes, there's such an option - it simply moves the VM from the original folder to a new folder - .nvram, .vbox, .vdi and Logs folder are all included.
If done manually, VirtualBox loses track of the VM existence.
I did that just to eliminate the (remote) possibility of the .ova image to carry some non-C: related information.

#15 2020-01-14 00:13:33

rbh

pstrg wrote:

Disabled EFI on source machine; no GPT-table related option.
Exported the modified source.

The partitionsheme is done inside the vm or om hosts cli. How did you create the disk?
After diabling Efi on source-guest, did it boot ok? Did you test that before export?
Why did you enable efi on the source-guest? If you don't know the answer, you have obviosly done a fatal misstake.

As a result, I don't even have the screen that refer to startup.nsh, but simply a line stating:
FATAL: NO bootable medium found! System halted.

Did you disable efi on the target guest?

Note that in order to test, I import with VirtualBox the exported .ova file into the new machine.
I can't try to boot live... the photo I posted earlier is all I get.
The usual first screen which gives me that option doesn't even appear.

you can not boot Helium iso to live session even if you choose to boot from CD? Can you boot another live dist? Quite odd, that booting from Cd result in your boot error from hd...

p.s.1 Just a comment: shouldn't an exported machine simply start, without one having to resort to fsck and reinstalling grub?

If one have file-system errors, one have to fix them. It's allways a good ide to check fs before ova export also... The error with  startup.nsh, can only be fixed with either editing efi-settings as described in previosu plink or skip efi and only reinstall grubb.

p.s.2 I didn't choose GPT - don't know why such is mentioned in the messages on the photo.

If the disk is under 2 TB, you must have choosen gpt-table... If you boot live dist (or attach the disk to your working vm), you can in root-terminal issue:

parted /dev/sda print

you will se what partion-table the disk has.

p.s.2 Presumed it could be related to Helium because Ubuntu booted while I used the same settings to export.

The Ubuntu vm, had it also efi enabled? Is it enabled on the ubuntu guest-target?
If not, you have the answer. If yes, it's good Ubuntu could handle your missconfiguration. But as I wrote before, Efi should not (without very good reason) be used on an linux guest. Neither Ubuntu, nor Debian.

Last edited by rbh (2020-01-14 00:41:32)

// Regards rbh

#16 2020-01-14 00:15:52

rbh

error

Last edited by rbh (2020-01-14 00:34:24)

// Regards rbh

#17 2020-01-15 10:50:16

rbh

pstrg wrote:

I note that - while I was evaluating other distros, before settling with Helium - that some of them presented such a screen, instead of a install screen and I set them aside.

Your screenshot shows that you have a vm disk alreadey created. Have you used an unatended skripted vm installation, or... How did you create the vm and the vm disk?

The vm system is efi-enabled. Was that intentionaly or unintentionaly? I have asked you a coupe of times this question. It is unanswered. It is central for understanding your problem.

Most moderna linux installation isos is efi-compatible. Your screenshot indicates that when you wanted to boot the iso, the vm instead tried to boot the vm disk. If you set the vm to use cd as primary boot, you shold bee able to boot to live dist or installer.

It seems that you have made a config error you have to fix!
You can try to fix the source guest, so new exports work or fix the exported vm.

Last edited by rbh (2020-01-15 14:49:17)

// Regards rbh

#18 2020-01-15 19:00:39

pstrg

@rbh

As expected, you were right - my import woes are not related to Helium; the fact that another distro performed better was fortuitous.

Now investigating about problems related to export/import of VirtualBox VMs - if I reach something will report, as others may benefit.

#19 2020-01-16 23:39:01

rbh

pstrg wrote:

Now investigating about problems related to export/import of VirtualBox VMs - if I reach something will report, as others may benefit.

I think you should koncentrate omn fixing yory source gest. As I you don't have specifik reason for using efi-setting on the source-guest, you should test untick that (clone the guest before working on it).

// Regards rbh

#20 2020-01-16 23:45:53

pstrg

This afternoon I revised my original installation and noted that it had EFI ticked (don't know why I did it).
Fixed that and export/import is now working flawlessly.

All trouble derived from that - should have read your directions more attentively...

Thank you again.
Owe you yet one!

Last edited by pstrg (2020-01-17 01:33:03)

Board footer