You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-30 23:18:34

plexure

[SOLVED]Missing firmware / can't auto configure DHCP

Hi guys, newbie-ish GNU/Linux user here. I tried installing Bunsenlabs today but got these errors, which after investigating for a while i think are pretty common but i couldn't find a real solution:

"some of your hardware needs non-free firmware files to operate.
The missing firmware files are:"

• ath10k/pre-cal-pci/000:02:00.0.bin

• ath10k/QCA6174/hw2.1/firmware-5.bin

• ath10k/QCA6174/hw2.1/firmware-4.bin

• ath10kQCA6174/firmware-3.bin

• ath10k/QCA6174/hw2.1/firmware-2.bin

I think these are wi-fi non-free firmware files, because after ignoring the issue and continuing with the install, the installer can't auto config a DHCP connection. (i also can't really figure out how to do it manually)
Then I went on with the installation to no avail, because the installer said it couldn't install a grub menu for whatever reason.

I really don't know what the problem is, and i'm getting kinda desperate looking for outdated documentation. The strangest part is that the live session worked out just fine, i even could get wi-fi to work. Would any of you be so kind to help me and explain this like i'm 5 years old? I hope i'm not bothering anyone in doing so, and hope this serves anyone in the future that has the same issue.

Thanks in advance! (sorry for my bad english)

Last edited by damo (2020-01-01 00:52:53)

#2 2019-12-30 23:31:40

damo
....moderator....

Re: [SOLVED]Missing firmware / can't auto configure DHCP

Debian wrote:

A suggestion, especially when installing on unfamiliar hardware, is to download the firmware archive for your platform and unpack it into a directory named firmware in the root of a removable storage device (USB/CD drive).

When the installer starts, it will automatically find the firmware files in the directory on the removable storage and, if needed, install the firmware for your hardware.

You can find firmware downloads for your Debian version at http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff … /firmware/.

There is a HowTo here: How to Install Firmware in Debian to Enable Wireless, Video, or Sound

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-12-30 23:43:07

plexure

Thank you for your quick response. i downloaded a firmware file appropiate for debian 9 from this link: http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff … h/current/

and now i only need 2 non-free firmware files:
-ath10k/pre-cal-pci-0000:02:00.0.bin
-ath10k/cal-pci-0000:02:00.0.bin

I tried searching for them on google but couldn't find them. Do you know what these are and where i can download them? Everything else seems fine to me, i hope that adding this will resolve the DHCP problem.

Thank you for being willing to help me smile

#4 2019-12-31 00:27:24

DeepDayze

plexure wrote:

Thank you for your quick response. i downloaded a firmware file appropiate for debian 9 from this link: http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff … h/current/

and now i only need 2 non-free firmware files:
-ath10k/pre-cal-pci-0000:02:00.0.bin
-ath10k/cal-pci-0000:02:00.0.bin

I tried searching for them on google but couldn't find them. Do you know what these are and where i can download them? Everything else seems fine to me, i hope that adding this will resolve the DHCP problem.

Thank you for being willing to help me smile

Those 2 firmware files you mention are actually optional as they are device calibration reference fw files. The actual fw can get the calibration data needed in a variety of ways (from EEPROM in the device, from files on disk, from device tree information) so those 2 files are optional.

If you are having trouble with DHCP why not post any relevant logs here and someone can chime in.

Real Men Use Linux

#5 2019-12-31 23:28:28

plexure

Thank you for helping, I could do the install properly. i'm running Bunsenlabs right now big_smile

#6 2020-01-01 00:52:31

damo
....moderator....

Glad you got it sorted. Next time you can edit the title of your first post yourself, and add "[SOLVED]" wink

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Board footer