You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-28 19:55:24

kes
Member
Registered: 2017-12-12
Posts: 26

openbox + tint2 - turn off black pop-up notifications

Pesky black pop-up notifications are shown in top right hand corner of screen.

The one that appears when I toggle caps lock is shown in this image link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vutjjza06mvmi … 5.png?dl=0

Black pop-up notifications occur 
- when I print,
- when I connect to a new wi-fi, and
- when I use my caps lock with package "indicator-keylock".

I can turn the wi-fi pop-up off by right clicking the wi-fi icon on the tint2 panel and selecting "turn off notifications", but I can't do this for printing or for the key-lock toggle indicator.

How can I turn off this top right screen pop-up for system wide applications?

Offline

#2 2019-12-28 21:13:06

Dobbie03
Resident Metalhead
From: New Zealand
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 2,502
Website

Re: openbox + tint2 - turn off black pop-up notifications

Your dropbox link gives a 404


One of the ArchLabs dudes
Obssesive Metalhead and practiced beer drinker
\m/

Offline

#3 2019-12-28 21:46:32

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 5,627

Re: openbox + tint2 - turn off black pop-up notifications

What happens if you use a different theme?

It is now nearly 5 years since Crunchbang ended, so I suspect that is bound to cause problems.

You could uninstall notifications to disable popups all the time. I'm not sure which version you have, but apt-cache search for libnotify (IIRC).


Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Online

#4 2019-12-29 14:05:17

kes
Member
Registered: 2017-12-12
Posts: 26

Re: openbox + tint2 - turn off black pop-up notifications

Dobbie03 wrote:

Your dropbox link gives a 404

Whoops, that should be it restored. Thanks for letting me know.

Offline

#5 2019-12-29 14:07:05

kes
Member
Registered: 2017-12-12
Posts: 26

Re: openbox + tint2 - turn off black pop-up notifications

damo wrote:

What happens if you use a different theme?

It is now nearly 5 years since Crunchbang ended, so I suspect that is bound to cause problems.

You could uninstall notifications to disable popups all the time. I'm not sure which version you have, but apt-cache search for libnotify (IIRC).


Thanks for your reply.

libnotify has many dependancies so I can't get rid of it.

IS there a system setting anywhere else to turn this off?

Offline

#6 2019-12-29 16:12:44

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 5,627

Re: openbox + tint2 - turn off black pop-up notifications

kes wrote:
damo wrote:

What happens if you use a different theme?

It is now nearly 5 years since Crunchbang ended, so I suspect that is bound to cause problems.

You could uninstall notifications to disable popups all the time. I'm not sure which version you have, but apt-cache search for libnotify (IIRC).


Thanks for your reply.

libnotify has many dependancies so I can't get rid of it.

IS there a system setting anywhere else to turn this off?

So what happens if you choose a different theme?

Is there a notification daemon started in your autostart? Perhaps if that is commented out it will turn off notifications.

Also you could search with

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openbox-xdg-autostart --list
## or
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/openbox-xdg-autostart --list

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Online

#7 2019-12-30 11:32:50

kes
Member
Registered: 2017-12-12
Posts: 26

Re: openbox + tint2 - turn off black pop-up notifications

damo wrote:

What happens if you use a different theme?

You could uninstall notifications to disable popups all the time. I'm not sure which version you have, but apt-cache search for libnotify (IIRC).

Hi

I’ve been a real numpty.

I’ve realised just now this is a crunchbag forum.
I missed that and have no idea how.
All I saw when I posted was the “help & support” bit.

Also in the madness of these past few days here - I didn't realise I was working with an arch + openbox + tint2 install. Too much going on and everything falling apart here a bit just now.

Apologies.



May be best abandon this post now.



ps if you meant tint2 themes then I can't really change the theme as I tend to edit the tint2rc configuration text file to make changes. I've had an fairly extensive look at the file and don't, offhand, see anything there I can edit.

Last edited by kes (2019-12-30 11:33:24)

Offline

#8 2019-12-30 11:36:22

kes
Member
Registered: 2017-12-12
Posts: 26

Re: openbox + tint2 - turn off black pop-up notifications

damo wrote:

Also you could search with

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openbox-xdg-autostart --list
## or
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/openbox-xdg-autostart --list

Thank you.

I tried both of these at the command line and the returned message att the command prompt was

No such file or directory

Offline

#9 2019-12-30 11:44:12

rbh
Member
From: Sweden/Vasterbotten/Rusfors
Registered: 2016-08-11
Posts: 234

Re: openbox + tint2 - turn off black pop-up notifications

@kes, maybe its time to upgrade?


// Regards rbh

Offline

#10 2019-12-30 15:23:45

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 5,627

Re: openbox + tint2 - turn off black pop-up notifications

kes wrote:

...
ps if you meant tint2 themes then I can't really change the theme as I tend to edit the tint2rc configuration text file to make changes. I've had an fairly extensive look at the file and don't, offhand, see anything there I can edit.

No, the  notification theme. In BL it is in Menu -> Preferences -> Notifications


Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Online

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB