You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-02 12:22:05

FinalAsylum

i can't convert bunsenlabs to GTP ( Rufus)

yuowdk0.png

i am using w10/ubuntu on UEFI mode so my disk is GTP, i want add bunsenlabs as 3nd distribution, i appreciate any help.

#2 2019-12-02 13:07:46

damo
....moderator....

Re: i can't convert bunsenlabs to GTP ( Rufus)

Any help here?...
debian wiki - UEFI

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-12-02 14:55:49

tynman

It sounds like the OP wants to install Bunsenlabs to an existing hard drive where they already have Linux/Ubuntu and Windows10 installed, and that existing hard drive has a GPT partition table. That's OK.

The first step is to copy the BunsenLabs ISO to a bootable device, such as a USB flash drive. The second step is to boot the computer into the Debian/Bunsenlabs installation utility on the bootable device.

Rufus can be used to accomplish the first step, i.e., copying the BunsenLabs ISO file to the bootable device.  Rufus is a Windows application designed to do exactly that. In this case, it appears the OP wants to use a 16 GB hard drive mounted in Windows as the "J drive". That should work OK. (Note I have never used Rufus, but I believe it has a pretty good reputation.)

The "partition scheme" noted in Rufus as "MBR" refers to the bootable device - i.e, the "J drive". It is not referring to the drive where  BunsenLabs will be installed. That it is OK, as long as the computer will boot from a device which has an MBR partition table.

If the computer can't boot from a drive with an MBR partition table, then we would need to delete the partition table from the removable device and create a new GPT partition table -- using some other utility. In Windows, the utility to delete and create partition tables is called "Disk Management".

I hope that is helpful.

#4 2019-12-02 18:06:55

FinalAsylum

tynman wrote:

It sounds like the OP wants to install Bunsenlabs to an existing hard drive where they already have Linux/Ubuntu and Windows10 installed, and that existing hard drive has a GPT partition table. That's OK.

The first step is to copy the BunsenLabs ISO to a bootable device, such as a USB flash drive. The second step is to boot the computer into the Debian/Bunsenlabs installation utility on the bootable device.

Rufus can be used to accomplish the first step, i.e., copying the BunsenLabs ISO file to the bootable device.  Rufus is a Windows application designed to do exactly that. In this case, it appears the OP wants to use a 16 GB hard drive mounted in Windows as the "J drive". That should work OK. (Note I have never used Rufus, but I believe it has a pretty good reputation.)

The "partition scheme" noted in Rufus as "MBR" refers to the bootable device - i.e, the "J drive". It is not referring to the drive where  BunsenLabs will be installed. That it is OK, as long as the computer will boot from a device which has an MBR partition table.

If the computer can't boot from a drive with an MBR partition table, then we would need to delete the partition table from the removable device and create a new GPT partition table -- using some other utility. In Windows, the utility to delete and create partition tables is called "Disk Management".

I hope that is helpful.

thanks so much that's exactly what i am going through, i have already set a disk partition (around 30gb) to install Bunsenlabs, the thing is, i need to select GPT (like in the picture) cause other wise if i don't during the installation it gonna wipe my whole disk and convert it to MBR ( this happened to me twice with ubuntu ) so i must select GPT before i click start and as you can see when i click to select to choose between ( GPT and MBR) it only MBR who shows.

#5 2019-12-02 18:50:57

rbh

You shall NOT convert your harddisk partition to gpt!

You have already an GPT table on your hd!

I would have skipped Rufus. Booted to Ubuntu to write the iso to usb device.

I prefer using dd, to write the media:

dd if=path/to/install.iso of=/dev/sdx bs=1M status=progress

/dev/sdx is our usb-device, that will be wiped totally.

The iso should be able to boot uefi pc, as also the created usb usb-device.

If you hav an UEFI enab led pc, do you not hav an 64 bit processor? Then you should install 64 bit Helium insteaad.

You should determine which OS you use to manage Grub menu. If you choose Ubuntu, then do not write grub to rot device (/dev/sda), write to /dev/sda6 or whatewer partition you created.

Last edited by rbh (2019-12-02 18:55:58)

// Regards rbh

Board footer