You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-20 08:51:57

jdjon

32 bit uefi 64 bit cpu install fail

How does one install bunsenlabs on 32 bit uefi machines with 64 bit cpu and no legacy support?

debian has a multiarch edition supporting install on 32 bit uefi machines without legacy boot with 64 bit cpu. loads of such machines around.

Ubuntu flavours have linuxium for such machines, sadly this script does not work on debian.

bunsenlabs live usb boots on such machines.

installing bunsenlabs un such machines errors at installing the bootloader (grub), rendering the system impossible to boot off the installed disk. This is regardless of internet available during install.

How does one install bunsenlabs on 32 bit uefi machines with 64 bit cpu and no legacy support?

#2 2018-08-21 05:51:56

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: 32 bit uefi 64 bit cpu install fail

What do you mean by "32 bit uefi machines with 64 bit cpu"? If the cpu is 64 bit, how is it a 32 bit machine? Does the motherboard not match the cpu?

Can you link to an example of such a machine?

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#3 2018-08-21 10:48:38

jdjon

many (if not all) lightweight laptops/netbooks/tablets have 32 bit uefi only (no legacy, no 64bit uefi) and come with 64 bit CPU:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/ … 64-systems
typically atom and celeron.
Bunsenlabs being lightweight it is a prime candidate for these devices.
Debian has support for installing on these devices through their multiarch
Ubuntu and flavours can be supported through isorespin.sh
for bunsenlabs one gets an error install with grub failing to install, continue without grub, then boot from another linux, install grub on the bunsenlabs drive, manually edit the grub.cfg and hope bunsenlabs manages to boot to then install grub2 in bunsenlabs and update grub.
would be much easier to enable proper grub from the installer for these machines as in debian multiarch ...

EDIT: spent about a week learning about all of this, hope future versions integrate 32 bit grub for 64 bit cpu

Last edited by jdjon (2018-08-21 10:52:33)

#4 2018-08-21 12:17:12

unklar

It seems to me she's got a wrong way of thinking. wink
GRUB doesn't care if it is installed on 32 or 64bit.

Your problem probably lies more in this invention U(EFI)

#5 2018-08-22 03:17:24

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@jdjon thank you for that link, and thank you for raising the issue. As you say, BunsenLabs does look like a potential good choice for those lightweight devices if the 32bit EFI issue can be fixed.

It was raised as an Ubuntu bug in 2014:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1341944
The Debian Wiki refers to the multi-arch isos you mention:
https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI#Support_fo … 2-bit_UEFI

BunsenLabs isos are built with the live-build tool - I've just had another look round the code, and it does at least claim to be able to build multi-arch images for amd64 + i386, so I might just try such a build and see what happens.
The BL installer is the same Debian installer with a few config tweaks, so this issue might be fixable.

Question: does the BunsenLabs i386 image install successfully on your machine? If so, we might have hope.

John
--------------------

#6 2018-08-22 08:50:42

jdjon

johnraff wrote:

Question: does the BunsenLabs i386 image install successfully on your machine? If so, we might have hope.

I do not know whether bunsenlabs i386 installs successfully, I did not try. I did try (and use) 64 and it does install with the grub error. Then one needs to install grub i386 (UEFI 32 bit) on bunsenlabs through another linux. A real pain.
Once installed and grub-ed it is a beauty.

I'd try i386 if only ... I have the machine now all set up and configured.

I can confirm Debain Multiarch does install and run perfect, as do *buntu's through isorespin. I used those before bunsenlabs, not sure I'd ever look/try back. But please find a way for 32 bit uefi 64 bit CPU with no legacy. Thanks!

#7 2018-08-23 01:48:57

johnraff
nullglob
Website

So, to clarify, the 64bit iso live session boots sucessfully, and the install process also runs, but fails to install a usable grub?

That Debian Multiarch isos sucessfully install 32bit grubs with 64bit systems is documented in several places but the task for BL is to persuade live-build to emulate that. I'm willing to invest some time in this, as it seems like a useful enhancement for the project, but I don't have a suitable machine to test on, so am dependent on your co-operation to move it forward at all.

How much RAM do you have on that machine, and do you know what typical figures would be? If it's less than 4GB there might be little advantage in installing a 64bit system anyway, reducing the problem to confirming that our i386 iso installs OK.

John
--------------------

#8 2018-08-24 00:42:57

johnraff
nullglob
Website

jdjon wrote:

Debian Multiarch does install and run perfect

In fact, if the Debian multi-arch netinstall iso will sucessfully install a basic CLI Debian system, then another possible workaround would be to use our netinstall script to put BunsenLabs on that:
https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-netinstall

BTW the multi-arch netinstall isos are not linked from the page you'd expect, but here:
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu … ch/iso-cd/
and here for the non-free firmware version:
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof … ch/iso-cd/

John
--------------------

#9 2018-08-24 05:36:29

jdjon

3 machines to test:
1 * N3060 2 GB upgraded to 4 (mobo allegedly does not support more)
1 * N3060 4 GB soldered
1 * Z3735F 4 GB soldered
Various wifi cards (do not remember each one right now)
all 3 UEFI 32 bit, 1 with weird bios (sometimes it manages to boot a legacy only drive, unexplicably, but mostly not).

I can try installs on USB sticks so the main emmc install does not get interfered with, but I am not technical enough to do a command line / script install.

#10 2018-08-24 08:03:13

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Is it possible to try an install of the 32bit iso on one of those machines?

John
--------------------

#11 2018-08-24 09:05:08

jdjon

johnraff wrote:

Is it possible to try an install of the 32bit iso on one of those machines?

Sure, need to free some USB sticks first, trying to multiboot from their ISO clonezilla, SuperGrub and Rescatux on 1 USB ... Need a plain explained ressource. Once that's done I'll have free USB sticks to try as many installs you like on those machines.

#12 2018-08-25 02:11:15

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Many thanks! When you have time, if you could try installing the i386 iso, and see if the 32bit grub efi install works, it would be very helpful.

John
--------------------

#13 2018-08-26 07:13:57

jdjon

Regardless of wifi on, early in the installation process the 32 bit ISO yields "an installation step failed". This is not at the GRUB level, but early in the installation process, when files have started being copied.

EDIT: Downloaded from bunsenlabs site, checked with torrent, ISO DD to USB, live boots.

EDIT2: no wifi (to make sure installer does not go get 64 BIT grub), mix of USB drives:
read USB2 stick in USB2 port, write USB3 stick in USB3 port = fail as above
read USB2 stick in USB3 port, write USB3 stick in USB2 port = success install, but fail grub at "the grub-efi-amd64 package failed to install"
So i386 ISO installer does want to fetch 64 bit grub on 64 bit CPU for 32 bit UEFI. Same with Debian not multiarch by the way. Only multiarch installs grub for 32 bit UEFI on 64 bit CPU, on my machines at least.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by jdjon (2018-08-26 08:00:28)

#14 2018-08-26 13:52:19

jdjon

Awaiting for bunsenlabs to be based on Debian Multiarch or for bunsenlabs to have support for 32 bit UEFI + 64 bit CPU, here is how I got it to work (assuming you have internet connection at all times). This comes with no warranty, it worked for me on 3 machines, which does not mean it will work for you.

Download 64 bit bunsenlabs
DD to USB, boot from USB, Install bunsenlabs.
Install will moan at being unable to install GRUB, continue installation without GRUB and:
Boot from live CD/USB
at grub press "E"
write down location and name of linux and initrd
in my case this was
/live/vmlinuz-4.9.0-6-amd64
/live/initrd.img-4.9.0-6-amd64
press esc to returns to the GUI grub screen
press C which brings up a grub command line. The GRUB command line is in QWERTY.
type: linux <written down vmlinuz location> root=/dev/<partition with bunsenlabs>
type: initrd <written down initrd location>
type: boot
in my case:
$ linux /live/vmlinuz-4.9.0-amd64 root=/dev/sda1
$ initrd /live/initrd.img-4.9.0-6-amd64
$ boot
once booted (this may take a while since it is the first boot) a terminal window will open inviting you to do various useful things. Remove just in case the live CD/USB before you proceed. Do as you like in the terminal window.
When finished, reboot again from the live CD/USB as above. Once booted remove the live CD/USB, open a terminal window, and type:
$ sudo apt-get install grub-efi-ia32 grub-efi-ia32-bin
$ sudo grub-install /dev/<yourDisk>
$ sudo update-grub
$ reboot
enjoy (normally) the normal UEFI GUI grub for bunsenlabs.

If a future update overwrites/updates with grub for 64 bit UEFI, you may need to redo the process.

Hope this helps.

#15 2018-08-27 06:37:32

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Thank you for that.

I notice that the BL i386 iso already ships  efi/boot/bootia32.efi just like the multi-arch Debian iso, and the regular Debian isos, so I don't yet see what the magic difference could be.

There is also a 64bit grub file in the BL iso so blocking network access will not prevent it being used.

It also looks as if you might have some issue with your USB hardware, given the USB2/3 difference.

John
--------------------

#16 2018-08-27 06:38:49

johnraff
nullglob
Website

...meanwhile, when I have a free afternoon, I'll try if I can persuade live-build to make a multi-arch iso, and we can see how that works.

John
--------------------

#17 2018-08-28 06:32:16

jdjon

johnraff wrote:

I notice that the BL i386 iso already ships  efi/boot/bootia32.efi just like the multi-arch Debian iso, and the regular Debian isos, so I don't yet see what the magic difference could be.
There is also a 64bit grub file in the BL iso so blocking network access will not prevent it being used.

could it be the non multiarch iso installs standard the grub version coherent with cpu in machine, and the multiarch looks at the uefi bit? I think this migh be the case as i386 tries to install 64 bit grub (as seen briefly during the install process before it halts with error).

#18 2019-12-02 06:41:57

johnraff
nullglob
Website

This issue not forgotten, but not yet getting any attention.
Debian Wiki: https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI#Support_fo … 2-bit_UEFI

John
--------------------

Board footer