You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-21 17:53:16

emek

Stuck at boot: "Loading initial ramdisk"

Hi there,

I recently bought an asus FX433 and I install bunsenlabs. The system was working just fine for a couple of months now, but I follow what it's decribed here and the system break (I was trying the video card works):

I do:

apt update
apt -t stretch-backports install linux-image-amd64
apt install -t stretch-backports firmware-linux

After this, the system does not boot, when I try to boot, the system is freezed on "Loading initial ramdisk" and nothing work.

I do a search for a solution, and I find this when it say that:

WORKAROUND 1: disable intel microcode updates during boot
From this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1759920
1/ add the boot parameter: dis_ucode_ldr to /etc/default/grub
2/ update-grub

I try that and effectible the system boot , but the system is really slow and I can't do anything. Is there a way to go back? I mean, undo the changes I did with the backport repository?

Thanks in advance

Edit:

My device has:
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
NVIDIA GeForce MX150

Last edited by emek (2019-11-21 19:24:39)

#2 2019-11-21 19:00:51

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Re: Stuck at boot: "Loading initial ramdisk"

As a really rough overview, yeah what one of the people in that thing you linked to is posting basic decent advice. That being yes to upgrade the kernel and firmware, when dealing with newer hardware in Bunsenlabs(Debian stable based.) Only scanned for all of a couple secs though. It's a real PITA for someone to say, I just bought an XYZ model system. Then what, expect people to google up it's specs, sometimes can be differences no doubt anyway. Thus tend to think it's best to provide some info about your systems components. Even if just with "lscpi -v" or whatever but have found inxi preferable "inxi -Fxz", inxi can provide a MASSIVE amount of info about hardware, a particular component etc etc.

Would need such info, not so much willing to google and guess every time a fellow nixer encounters a problem where it's relevant and asks for help. Generally newer hardware, yep, try a newer kernel + firmware (firmware-linux-nonfree, firmware-linux, microcode etc.)Does appear that in Stretch kernel v 4.19 something is it, whereas believe when I checked Buster backports it has a v 5.2.x or another. As for identifying your vid-card and graphics specs, with that info someone can determine the right drivers(kernel modules), firmware etc. How to apply them, removing or disabling current drivers and proceeding to setup the correct one would mostly be a matter of googling.

At present always opted for the open source vid drivers as yet. Though will cross that bridge when get ahold a pc with a monster dedi vidcard, so don't want to offer much advice on how I'd say you should proceed with that process. It's reinventing the wheel though, as long as a person using common sense in finding and what quality of information they rely on. If you go to official docs like Debian wiki and similar, can be fairly confident in the info in them. Overall still would like a profile of your systems hardware, it'd help people as to what to even advise.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-21 19:02:28)

#3 2019-11-21 19:14:39

emek

Hi, I'm sorry for not give the specs of my device. I thought, this problem can be solved without that information.

My device has:
NVIDIA GeForce MX150

I don't know what else can you help to advice me what can I do.

#4 2019-11-21 19:15:59

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Hey also, this is not meant as any type of reprimand or etc directed at you but when someone asks for assistance with something in which it's clearly believed hardware plays a major role, then yes of course makes some sense to provide info about that system/hardware. A newer gnu/Nix user of course views any issues they encounter as serious and an important priority, however after enough years and having seen 23,000 such threads (and answered my share.), like hey how do I find out my vid-graphics card and the right driver ? Gets old, and someone who posts w/o some reasonable amount of hardware related info already included and expects more experienced folks to jump to help them, could find themselves waiting a very long time for tech support help. ie: In my case, may find that to be ... FOREVER. big_smile

Again ... this isn't meant in any derogatory manner towards you OP. Just a general FYI advisement and hey, at least you provided some info. Not at all uncommon for folks to not bother giving any. Oh I installed this(they don't clearly identify which this, is this in their case.) and I'm having problems with that(errrrr and any useful info regarding that particular that might be what ?) tongue

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-21 19:18:03)

#5 2019-11-21 19:22:24

emek

BLizgreat! wrote:

Hey also, this is not meant as any type of reprimand or etc directed at you but when someone asks for assistance with something in which it's clearly believed hardware plays a major role, then yes of course makes some sense to provide info about that system/hardware. A newer gnu/Nix user of course views any issues they encounter as serious and an important priority, however after enough years and having seen 23,000 such threads (and answered my share.), like hey how do I find out my vid-graphics card and the right driver ? Gets old, and someone who posts w/o some reasonable amount of hardware related info already included and expects more experienced folks to jump to help them, could find themselves waiting a very long time for tech support help. ie: In my case, may find that to be ... FOREVER. big_smile

Again ... this isn't meant in any derogatory manner towards you OP. Just a general FYI advisement and hey, at least you provided some info. Not at all uncommon for folks to not bother giving any. Oh I installed this(they don't clearly identify which this, is this in their case.) and I'm having problems with that(errrrr and any useful info regarding that particular that might be what ?) tongue

I understand what you say. I was not intended to be entitled, it was just a mistake smile

#6 2019-11-21 19:27:13

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Oops, was too busy ranting to notice you'd(OP) had posted. Yeah it's an 8th gen i7, a fairly modern chip. Would try some much newer kernel versions on the thing. Like as in 5.2, as the kernel devs proceed with developing the thing they tend to add additional support for or fixes or whatever relating to newer hardware and an 8th-gen Intel chip is such. Same for improvements being included in newer firmware packages too and in cpu/microcode.

This type of thing can involve pulling stuff from backports, even those upstream of you such as the next stable releases and/or someone can snag them from other branches of Debian, like unstable. This brings someone into apt-pinning territory, either those packages specifically or that branch of software in the /etc/apt/perferences file. If interested someone should take up apt-pinning with google. It's really not all that complicated a thing, ... in fact isn't but do your research for sure.

Debian stable, thus Debian stable based such as Bunsenlabs is not designed for latest/greatest hardware support or cutting edge. It's built to be STABLE and it definitely is that. Debian stable (plus all those based on it)are indeed a friggin rock of an OS, rock solid.

#7 2019-11-21 19:57:56

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Random obs, a really hacky way of going about this and I don't advise it. It's for people too lazy to bother learning about apt-pinning the right way. They add whatever repo's to sources.list or sources.list.d etc. Refresh packages with "sudo apt update" and then install pkgs + depends they want with the -t switch. ie:

sudo apt install -t buster-backports linux-image-etc-etc-yada fimware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree

The -t thing above is telling apt to get this stuff + all their dependencies from that repo, in the above the repo named buster-backports. Which is what it'll do. Then again .. instead of doing it correctly, such lazy person can #comment out the buster-backports repo's in sources.list, refresh pkgs again and go from there. However they may have to rinse and repeat as they go, rather than having those packages and repo's kept enabled by doing it the right way. So when updates come out, they have to go through the trouble of fiddling with it more so than someone who has used apt-pin correctly.

Don't get me wrong, Debian stable(thus yep, those based on it)can blaze along fine on latest hardware, just takes some effort and fiddling on the endusers part to do it. smile

#8 2019-11-22 01:55:07

emek

In my case I don't comment out the backports repository. I just try with apt -t stretch-backports install linux-image-amd64 and  apt install -t stretch-backports firmware-linux, after I do a reboot and the system get stuck.

Personally, I'm not new on linux, but I try to understand new things about linux when I encountered errors like this. For example, I know that using the -t option will install the package form backports repository, in this case, and I thought i will be available to use the previous kernel because I was not trying to replace it. Any help?

#9 2019-11-22 02:24:10

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

If you have the correct repositories in sources.list/sources.list.d then should've worked fine. If you added it to sources on the OS, someone needs to refresh packages afterwards "sudo apt update". Also yeah, keeping a known working kernel on-hand is long standing good practice, also shouldn't have problems booting into it. Look over which options you have ie: "apt search linux-image* |grep bpo". Specify the one you want which in this case if you're wanting to try out latest available there. That's 4.19whatever in Stretch backports, dunno what you're trying there. Am running one of the 4.19 kernels from backports on a Stretch install with no problems.

Easy cmd to check which firmware pkgs are already installed on the OS.

dpkg -l |grep firmware

Any questions about upgrading a kernel via backports on Bunsenlabs(Debian)may want to do some googling about it. Good to know what someone is doing/dealing with. When you say freezing, what does that mean ? What errors or feedback are you getting from the terminal ?

#10 2019-11-22 02:47:23

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Oops, just get's stuck, should've read more closely meself. Still could you clarify a bit as to what's happening when you try booting. No problems while you were installing the thing (kernel from backports)? Sheesh, check which kernels you even have "dpkg -l |grep linux-image" Assuming you're using grub2 as the bootloader and that it did automatically update when you installed a new kernel ? In the OS which controls the boot(mbr-etc/ though that system is almost surely uefi/gpt.) Seen people have more than one gnu/Nix install on a system, they forget to "sudo update-grub" in the correct one and end up scratching their heads as to why the/a new kernel isn't booting. Actually have done so myself. More than once. tongue

Sorry dude but this gets annoying fast. Taking shots in the dark with some anonymous nixer out there having issues. The above is random junk which comes to mind. Installing a kernel from backports or with -t is well documented online, as is apt-pinning and how to go about running Debian on newer hardware. Key take aways, are newer kernel(s), newer firmware pkgs, intel-microcode and such of this nature. You'll need to research and bone up on the relevant junk. No worries, you can do it fellow nixer. smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-22 02:49:18)

#11 2019-11-22 02:54:30

emek

BLizgreat! wrote:

... Also yeah, keeping a known working kernel on-hand is long standing good practice

I agree. That is the reason of why I use bunsenlabs, because is based on Debian stable.

To explain myself. I use my laptop for work (docs, images and stuff like that). I have a lot of free time today and I try to play AOE with wine. When I ran the game, I got an error about the system cannot detect the video card. I do a googling and in a link they mentioned the solution mentioned before, about how new hardware of intel can be tricky to get working properly. Then I try to use a new kernel from backport, because those are usually with improvement for newest hardware, and as result, my system don't work anymore.

When you say freezing, what does that mean ? What errors or feedback are you getting from the terminal ?

With freezing, I mean that the whole device is stuck. No key work, at all. Not even combination like alt+d, alt+c or even REISUB combination. Absolute nothing works.

I'm able to edit the boot menu and add the "dis_ucode_ldr" parameter to the kernel, and the system start but the it's really slow. I was able to run dpkg -l |grep firmware and I get:

amd64-microcode
firmware-amd-graphicslwifi
firmware-iwlwifi
firmware-linux
firmware-linux-free
firmware-linux-nonfree
firmware-misc-nonfree
fwupd-amd64-signed
intel-microcode

After a couple of minutes, the system get stuck again and in the console there is a lot of code that I don't understand.
And it always finish with and message from syslog:

watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#7 stuck for 22s!  

I have give the worst information ever. In effect I have a dual boot with windows 10, but that system gives me no problem. I'm posting from there, actually.

Last edited by emek (2019-11-22 02:56:32)

#12 2019-11-22 03:08:07

emek

BLizgreat! wrote:

No problems while you were installing the thing (kernel from backports)?

There was no problem when I install the kernel.

BLizgreat! wrote:

In the OS which controls the boot(mbr-etc/ though that system is almost surely uefi/gpt.)

Im using uefi in a gpt disk.

BLizgreat! wrote:

Sorry dude but this gets annoying fast. Taking shots in the dark with some anonymous nixer out there having issues. The above is random junk which comes to mind. Installing a kernel from backports or with -t is well documented online, as is apt-pinning and how to go about running Debian on newer hardware. Key take aways, are newer kernel(s), newer firmware pkgs, intel-microcode and such of this nature. You'll need to research and bone up on the relevant junk. No worries, you can do it fellow nixer. smile

I really apreciated your help anyway, thank you!

#13 2019-11-22 03:12:28

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Welcome fellow nixer. Am sure you'll get around to sorting the thing out. Sounds like a nice computer too. Thing will blaze with Bunsenlabs (minimal Debian)on it !!! big_smile

#14 2019-11-22 04:52:55

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Ah this is why I stay out of help and support sections mostly. Gawds know I did my share of support over the years. Paid dues etc blahblah. Have absolutely no experience with WINE, have never wanted it or anything like it on anything gnu/Linux. Quit using anything Window$ several years ago too but if were ever inclined would almost surely wind up running window$ in a virtual-machine in Kvm, with gnu/nix as the host OS. Ahhhh, not that there's anything wrong with conventional dual-booting either. WINE is it's own thing, problems in it such as detecting graphics or whatever may very well be a problem with it and nothing to do with the kernel you were running. Was your gnu/Linux OS working fine prior to this ? Outside of these WINE issues ?

This makes me wonder what you're using as the bootloader ? Easybcd, grub2, windows bootloader directly, efibootmgr, rEFInd ? Etc etc, so forth etc ? Depending on that, is whatever is in use aware the kernels been updated ? No idea what you went with and been quite awhile since I've dorked with Easybcd, this old thing is bios/mbr, so for me no need to mess with efibootmgr and similar, no window$ in quite awhile so dorking with it's bootloader ie: "bcd edit" and such is also no concern now. In windows 8.1 one time, remember directly editing it's bootloader to tell it to use grub2 default and to leave it alone. Don't remember the specifics involved and am sure such information is posted many places online. Anyway ... just more random junk which may OR not be relevant.

Vll! smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-22 06:22:58)

#15 2019-11-22 04:59:31

damo
....moderator....

Doesn't wine pull in 32bit libraries on a Stretch system? Maybe that causes problems on new hardware...

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#16 2019-11-22 06:19:45

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Wanted to promote something relevant. Gaming on gnu/Linux has apparently come a long way. Many games are now natively supported and no shortage of free one's surely. So resorting to things like WINE are now much more a choice type of thing verses a necessity for people. Only pointing this out cause it's cool and possibly worth exploring. I don't game on gnu/Linux and am sure such will come with hassles and headaches if someone is intending to get maximum performance out of what's available for Nix. Though all such information is readily available online too. Every now and then actually look some of it over myself. Couldn't hurt at least having some games installed. Just for that who knows, nothing better to do situation. smile

You don't use window$ itself for gaming ? Business only OS ?

#17 2019-11-22 06:41:05

damo
....moderator....

^ Watch the thread drift!

NB the OP isn't a native English speaker so let's make things as easy as possible for them wink

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#18 2019-11-22 06:59:30

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ 10-4 good buddy. big_smile

Yeah I know, drifting by OP's choice though, not mine and clear he's not a native English type. Hey nothing wrong with that, I ONLY speak English and not very well. tongue Wait a sec ! I know enough Espanol to get myself beaten, arrested or both in any Spanish speaking country. Trying to make it easier on them. Two ways to get rid of the weakest link here. Use window$ for running games or run gnu/Linux games native and offload WINE. Seen more than a few nixers over the years having real issues with it. As for the main thing I'd be focused on in OP's place, getting the best performance and hardware support with newish type hardware on anything Debian stable(based.) Nope ... not going there, information about it is covered all over the webz and I bottom-line don't feel like doing someone's dirty work for them. Shrugs. smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-22 07:05:34)

#19 2019-11-22 07:53:39

ohnonot
...again
Website

emek wrote:

I recently bought an asus FX433 and I install bunsenlabs. The system was working just fine for a couple of months now, but I follow what it's decribed here and the system break (I was trying the video card works):

I do:

apt update
apt -t stretch-backports install linux-image-amd64
apt install -t stretch-backports firmware-linux

After this, the system does not boot, when I try to boot, the system is freezed on "Loading initial ramdisk" and nothing work.

I do a search for a solution, and I find this when it say that:

WORKAROUND 1: disable intel microcode updates during boot
From this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1759920
1/ add the boot parameter: dis_ucode_ldr to /etc/default/grub
2/ update-grub

I try that and effectible the system boot , but the system is really slow and I can't do anything. Is there a way to go back? I mean, undo the changes I did with the backport repository?

My device has:
NVIDIA GeForce MX150

I could find almost no mention of the exact model "Asus FX433" - although it clearly exists as seen on this page.

But it is clearly too new for Bunsenlabs Helium (i.e. Debian oldstable) and probably also too new for Debian Stable.
You should try something like Ubuntu 19.10 on it, or one of the more rolling approaches (ArchLinux, Debian testing, ...).

The bug report you mentioned could be a match to your situation, but it is not a match to Bunsenlabs - Debian and Ubuntu differ a lot. 'Specially the kernels in this case.

#20 2019-11-22 23:57:22

emek

Thank you all for your help. I'm still working on the problem. I have try a live cd to try with chroot and see if I can do anything. I try to undo what causes the problem. But, unfortunately, the problem persist.

Edit:

Finally, I could undo all the changes i have made within a Live CD. Thanks you all!

Last edited by emek (2019-11-23 19:21:01)

Board footer