You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-22 04:30:12

jjanderson5

Setting up a network interface (Debian stretch)

Setting up my internal network with static IP addresses on Linux machines has always been a minor issue for me. In most cases, I have set up the network with a little, but not too much effort. In some cases, for example when working with a new release or a new distribution, more effort (and help) was needed.

What a pleasure it was to do my most recent installation of Bunsenlabs (helium). I struggled a bit, then I did a search and found this web page:

https://linuxhint.com/restart_networking_debian_linux

As suggested in the article, I ran nmtui from a terminal window and in about 5 minutes, my new installation was connected both with ethernet and wifi connections. I would suggest that a pointer to this site be created on this forum site under 'Getting Started'. Any new user to Bunsenlabs will likely find this useful.

Jim A.

#2 2019-11-22 04:48:53

damo
....moderator....

Re: Setting up a network interface (Debian stretch)

You should already have had Network Manager installed in a default BL. nmtui is an ncurses terminal ui version of the Network Manager applet, which can be started by Rclicking the network icon in the systray.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-11-22 07:57:15

ohnonot
...again
Website

jjanderson5 wrote:

Setting up my internal network with static IP addresses on Linux machines has always been a minor issue for me. In most cases, I have set up the network with a little, but not too much effort. In some cases, for example when working with a new release or a new distribution, more effort (and help) was needed.

What a pleasure it was to do my most recent installation of Bunsenlabs (helium). I struggled a bit, then I did a search and found this web page:

https://linuxhint.com/restart_networking_debian_linux

As suggested in the article, I ran nmtui from a terminal window and in about 5 minutes, my new installation was connected both with ethernet and wifi connections. I would suggest that a pointer to this site be created on this forum site under 'Getting Started'. Any new user to Bunsenlabs will likely find this useful.

Jim A.

Thank you for your success story & general help.
Unfortunately that article is of inferior quality for numerous reasons.
And in any case BL already comes with network-manager and you could have achieved the same with its GUI.

#4 2019-11-22 17:16:59

jjanderson5

I will take a look at the network manager GUI next time I am installing a system. If it is easier and better to use, that is terrific.

I think the more important point is that the network manager GUI be documented in the 'Getting Started' part of the forum, or prominently included in the Bunsenlabs documentation someplace. I did a search for "Debian Network Manager GUI" and did not get a direct hit, but I did find the following URL,  https://linuxhint.com/debian_network_manager_tutorial.

To assume that a new user to BunsenLabs is going to know how to use network manager or the GUI interface is a stretch. Setting up networking is an integral part of installing Bunsenlabs and giving a user a pointer to Debian networking documentation would surely be helpful.

#5 2019-11-22 21:46:10

damo
....moderator....

jjanderson5 wrote:

To assume that a new user to BunsenLabs is going to know how to use network manager or the GUI interface is a stretch....

To be fair, I think every user of any OS knows to click on a network icon in the systray, to access network info/settings? If it isn't there on a default install then there are more serious issues going on.

Our "Getting Started" page needs to be updated anyway (image links now broken; new Lithium here soon) so we could include a link to a Networking HowTo.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Board footer