You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-17 14:09:50

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Nitpick but still a valid suggestion (imo) :)

I tend to keep the BL iso onhand, because I like BL (team +community and distro.) It's my go to tool of choice cause it has the b43 firmware I need for my problem child wireless chip-set out-of-box. Anyway back to nit-picky gripe, the welcome to BL screen thingy that pops up every time someone boots a live-session, find it annoying. I know this is BL etc blahblah already, so don't need to be reminded every time running a live session. Of course someone can just hit the Enter key, or click out of it anyway.

Other random junk, mentioned BL may want to take the opportunity to add some additional utils to it's iso(live session) such as Supergrubdisk2 etc. These are tiny utilities in terms of space but they make the usb more useful. Have seen plenty of distro's do so, they have a boot from disk option, in the case that someone has borked their boot loader and needs to resort to having something like Supergrubdisk detect all installed OS's on a drive and enable someone to boot into one of them with it to perform repairs etc.

Been babbling in another thread about scripting an easy way to automagically chroot in live session, a partition or install on a system too. Think it'd be really cool and very useful and would certainly make BL stand out as I haven't seen this used by anyone else. Sure there are likely already utils or whatever but again, would make the usb/iso more useful in live session. Another thing related to this, though pretty much is nothing to do with BL team, I'm revisiting the matter of multiboot utils/apps, which someone can have and boot several iso's on one cd-dvd (could be rw = re-writable one, thus can be reused, I prefer these provided your disc drive is capable vs 1 time use discs)or usb's.

Doesn't make much sense to devote a 14gb usb drive to having only one iso on it. Looks like Sardu is a PITA in gnu/Linux, are plenty of others in this niche though and I long ago put up a method that worked semi-well in these forums, so going to check it out again. Have learned more since then and finding the correct entry to boot whatever in grub.cfg much clearer now. Because yeppers, find myself in that very situation, a 14gig thumb drive, at the moment one/BL iso on the thing. So time to reassess and fiddle eh. smile

Should at least try setting up a new partition in all that unused space on it and stash a couple of my OS's backups on it. That's a lot of drive space being wasted. Blahblahblah.

More babble, brought to you from us fine folks here at "We like to babble Incorporated." tongue

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-17 14:11:28)

#2 2019-11-17 14:19:58

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Re: Nitpick but still a valid suggestion (imo) :)

Nope after-thought, another wish list kind of thing. How about an iso which creates persistence enabled thumb-drive out-of-box, that'd be friggin cool as de heel too ! Never overly taken much interest in it. Though seen plenty of detailed tutes on creating usb drives with persistence and now that I'm thinking about it, may convert one of my dang gnu/Nix installs into a mobile with persistence deal myself. tongue Again these are all just random thoughts + suggestions to make BL stand-out or be more kickbutt fellow nixers.

Being gnu/linux just about anything imaginable is possible or already been done, while of course having and asking others to do the work and hash out the plans and details is even better, lmao ... who doesn't like automagic, no effort ... instant gratification !?!?!? tongue You guys solicited suggestions, well am giving ya some ! big_smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-17 14:21:31)

#3 2019-11-17 15:33:44

damo
....moderator....

How about an iso which creates persistence enabled thumb-drive out-of-box, that'd be friggin cool

Like Puppy?  +100

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#4 2019-11-17 15:43:23

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Hey cool, didn't even know Puppy did that. Have only ever briefly dorked around with any of the puplets or whatever they were known as. Hmmmmm, thanks for mentioning it Damo. smile

Edit: Oops, think they were called Puppies logically enough. big_smile Also remember a bunch of people whining about them always running as root or unmaintained this and that crap. Oh well, it's cool that they came out with out-of-box persistence regardless. Kickbutt !

Extremely anal edit: Had to shake around my coffee befuddled brain but doubt Puppy gnu/Linux "came out" with portable persistence. Don't know who has that distinction, maybe Knoppix ... dunno. Do remember it's one of them that's in the live OS only kind of nix category and people have to fiddle with it to get an actual hdd install of it. Though it's been FOREVER since I've looked over anything to do with Puppy or puplets, pupos'es or whatever they should be called. smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-17 20:42:36)

Board footer