You are not logged in.

#26 2019-10-11 03:15:24

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: [SOLVED] nVidia driver installation in Debian Buster Bare Minimum

@linux_user I might add that it's rather hard to give advice because we don't know what your system is.

You're starting from a Debian base and adding elements one at a time in order to find out what makes BL tick. This is a great idea, but you can't then say "BL behaves this way" because you don't have BL. For example, the openbox config file in BL is bl-rc.xml not rc.xml. This makes it extremely difficult to offer advice about composition settings, for example.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#27 2019-10-11 04:12:13

linux_user

Ah, there it is. smile Thanks @hhh.

However, in my never-ending pursue of building an BL like GUI in my bare Debian, I removed most of the xfc4 packages including the xfce4-settings and xfwm after installing xfce4. The only packages xfce4 related packages I have are xfce4-notifyd-config, xfce4-power-manager, xfce4-power-manager-settings, xfce4-screenshooter and xfce4-pm-helper (you can guess why).

Therefore, and also because I am using Openbox, I am believing that there is no compositor. In such a case, the background opacity (in conky) is being handled by something else.

Last edited by linux_user (2019-10-11 05:28:42)

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#28 2019-10-11 04:23:26

linux_user

johnraff wrote:

@linux_user I might add that it's rather hard to give advice because we don't know what your system is.

You're starting from a Debian base and adding elements one at a time in order to find out what makes BL tick. This is a great idea, but you can't then say "BL behaves this way" because you don't have BL. For example, the openbox config file in BL is bl-rc.xml not rc.xml. This makes it extremely difficult to offer advice about composition settings, for example.

Oh no @johnraff, I have a BL system and it's my primary machine. In fact, I am posting this from my BL system. I have an older machine on which I am trying the Debian bare. Most of the config files (autostart, rc, conky, tint2) are copied from my BL machine (with some changes) to my older machine because I am used to those settings.

Sorry for the confusion, I could and should have done better. The compositing and nvidia graphics issues are specific to my secondary machine where I am trying Debian bare. The 'window fade effect' is specific to my BL machine which I noticed it after experiencing the snappy appearance of windows in my Debian bare system. Just figuring out why it is so on BL and where the settings are; just digging and nothing critical.

The openbox config file in my BL machine (Helium) is rc.xml and it was rc.xml in Hydrogen as well. Are you using Lithium testing in which it is named bl-rc.xml?

Last edited by linux_user (2019-10-11 04:58:57)

#29 2019-10-11 07:17:23

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Yes, there have been some changes in Lithium.

John
--------------------

#30 2019-10-11 18:49:43

hhh
Meep!
Website

linux_user wrote:

Ah, there it is. smile Thanks @hhh.

However, in my never-ending pursue of building an BL like GUI in my bare Debian, I removed most of the xfc4 packages... Therefore, and also because I am using Openbox, I am believing that there is no compositor. In such a case, the background opacity (in conky) is being handled by something else.

Correct, except the background opacity is not being handled at all, it's being ignored, or rather it's being rendered without compositing. Install compton to have transparency, or else change your conky so it doesn't use transparency.

#31 2019-10-12 03:30:07

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Conky can do "fake transparency" without a compositor. It takes a snapshot of the background and uses that, but it can't handle things like other windows moving under it, and in general doesn't work as well as the real thing.

John
--------------------

#32 2019-10-17 10:07:53

linux_user

hhh wrote:

Correct, except the background opacity is not being handled at all, it's being ignored, or rather it's being rendered without compositing. Install compton to have transparency, or else change your conky so it doesn't use transparency.

Installed Compton. This are my start ups in my autostart.

compton -b &
numlockx o &
nitrogen --restrore &
tint2 &
pnmixer &
clipit &
nm-applet &
xfce4-power-manager &
conky &

Even though the code for conky is way after compton is started, there is no transparency by default. I have to restart conky for transparency. Tried just compton & without -b flag, and it's still the same.

johnraff wrote:

Conky can do "fake transparency" without a compositor. It takes a snapshot of the background and uses that, but it can't handle things like other windows moving under it, and in general doesn't work as well as the real thing.

That explains why Conky had a black background at start and a transparent background after killing and restarting it. Even though nitrogen --restore & was way up before conky & in autostart, conky appeared on the desktop before Nitrogen reset the background. Perhaps that explains why the background snapshot wasn't used for fake transparency.

linux_user wrote:

Do Alt+Tab and leave only the tab key with the alt key still on. The border of the next corresponding window appears (along with the toggle window with lists of windows to toggle to). Now, carefully look at how that next window appears when you leave the Alt key.  It appears with a very fast fade. I never realized it until few hours back. As I said, only when I felt the snappiness of bare Debian with Openbox, I noticed there is this lag with BL.

Or perhaps, my eyes are playing games. But I would like to know if others notice this.

BINGO....! Found this effect while playing around with Compton. In the Compton config located in ~/.config/compton.conf, under Fading section, there are the lines,

#  Fade windows in/out when opening/closing
#no-fading-openclose = true;

Just uncommented that config line to execute it and voila, the windows are opening and closing like Usain Bolt. wink

Last edited by linux_user (2019-10-17 10:29:53)

#33 2019-10-19 00:35:49

hhh
Meep!
Website

@l_user check our current lithium autostart vs. yours, maybe that will help...

## BunsenLabs autostart
## ====================
## When you login to your BunsenLabs session, this autostart script
## will be executed to launch any applications
## you want to run at startup.
##
## NB, like openbox's autostart script, this uses the default shell,
## so "bashisms" are not supported.
##
## (Environment variables are set in ~/.config/bunsen/environment.)
##
## Note: some programs, such as 'nm-applet' are run via XDG autostart,
## from .desktop files in /etc/xdg/autostart and ~/.config/autostart.
## To disable this, comment out the last line in this file:
## "bl-xdg-autostart"
##
## Run 'bl-xdg-autostart --list' to list any XDG autostarted programs.
##
## If you do something cool with your autostart script and you think others
## could benefit from your hack, please consider sharing it at:
## http://forums.bunsenlabs.org (registration required)
##

## WINDOW MANAGER
## Do not edit the next line unless you have also installed any
## necessary other programs for the different window manager,
## and edited the window-manager-dependent section later in this file.
## Use the window manager's actual command, not name:
window_manager=openbox

# test if chosen window manager is actually running (do not edit this line)
pgrep -x -u "$USER" "$window_manager" || { echo "$0: Window manager $window_manager is not running." >&2 ; exit 1;}

### SETTINGS START

# start keybinds daemon
# (If this clashes with some window manager's keybinds,
# you can move it to the window-manager-dependent section below.)
xbindkeys_autostart

## Turn on/off system beep.
xset b off

## Set keyboard settings - 250 ms delay and 25 cps (characters per second) repeat rate.
## Adjust the values according to your preferances.
xset r rate 250 25

## Add keyboard mapping.
#xmodmap -e "keysym Insert = Multi_key"

## Disable CapsLock
#setxkbmap -option ctrl:nocaps
# alternative: use as compose key
#setxkbmap -option compose:caps

### TOUCHPAD: comment out the next two entries if you don't have one

## Configure touchpad. See 'man synaptics' for more info.
## (Now might be using libinput instead of synaptics.)
synclient VertEdgeScroll=1 HorizEdgeScroll=1 TapButton1=1 2>/dev/null

## Disable touchpad while typing
syndaemon -i .5 -K -t -R -d &

### TOUCHPAD END

### SETTINGS END

## GNOME PolicyKit authentication
/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 &

## window-manager-dependent applications
case "$window_manager" in
openbox)
    ## The following applications will only be started in an openbox session.
    ## Add a new clause for your window manager, if different.

## Alias Super key to Super+Space for single-key menu.
    ## See 'man xcape' for other possibilities.
    xcape -e 'Super_L=Super_L|space'

## Set a wallpaper
    nitrogen --restore

## Compton
    ## NOTE: composition must be started before tint2
    bl-compositor --start

## Start the tint2 session (the default tint2 will run if no sessions have been set)
    bl-tint2-session

## Start the Conky session (the default conkyrc will run if no sessions have been set)
    bl-conky-session --autostart &
    ;;
    # End of openbox application group.

## Vague possibility for XFCE window manager
#xfwm4)
#   xcape -e 'Super_L=Super_L|space'
#   (sleep 3; xfdesktop) &
#   bl-tint2-session
#   bl-conky-session --autostart &
#   ;;

## Vague possibility for Awesome window manager
#awesome)
#    bl-compositor --start
#    xfce4-panel &
#    bl-conky-session --autostart &
#    ;;

esac

## Volume control for systray
pnmixer &

## Start Clipboard manager
clipit &

## Start Thunar Daemon, if set as bl-file-manager
if [ "$(readlink -f $(which bl-file-manager))" = "$(which thunar)" ]
then
    thunar --daemon &
fi

## bl-welcome - post-installation script, will not run in a live session
## and only runs once. Safe to remove.
(sleep 10; bl-welcome --firstrun) &

## bl-fortune - have the system come up with a little adage
## Uncomment the following line to enable this.
#(sleep 120; bl-fortune) &

## Run the XDG autostart stuff. This requires python-xdg to be installed.
## See bl-xdg-autostart --help for more details.
bl-xdg-autostart

Also, your typo of nitrogen restrore can't be helping things.

#34 2019-10-29 12:20:30

linux_user

^ Oh no, that was just a typo while writing it in the above post. Anyway, that isn't relevant anymore. I had to reinstall Debian to fix the driver. Once the driver issue is fixed, I'll redo the openbox settings.

linux_user wrote:

I will be installing the drivers again only by next week. Caught up with some traveling and can't dedicate time for this at the moment.

I reinstalled Debian netinst with all updates.
Once in tty1, I installed sudo, added my username to the group.
Lightdm wasn't installed, hence didn't stop it.
Blacklisted nouveau as per http://lxle.net/forums/discussion/1457/ … drivers/p1
Rebuild the kernel and restarted system

Started installing the nvidia driver. Here are the screenshots. https://imgur.com/a/mnCYu70
Pic 3 throws an error.

$cat /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe
/sbin/modprobe

How do I verify /sbin/modprobe works correctly? Or should just change the text in /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe to /usr/bin/modprobe (what nvidia-installer says).

Here is /var/log/nvidia-installer.log.

#35 2019-10-31 11:48:16

linux_user

manyroads wrote:

If you are looking for a very stripped down version of Buster for older PCs, you might try antiX19b3.  I have just gotten BunsenLabs Lithium- experimental to run on that platform. 
For antiX see:
https://antixlinux.com/about/

Still, the packages are shared, which means that I won't be able to install my driver the normal way; using apt.

#36 2019-11-01 10:22:05

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Not getting too far into this topic. It's a great project though and cool that you undertook it. Sure someone probably already answered but use the -t switch to target whichever software repositories, it'll pull all depends from there as well. Just used similar to install gksu and get gksu/do commands working as wanted in Buster. Anyway, this is the entry for Stretch, it's been classed as oldstable.

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian oldstable main contrib non-free

Shall remain so until the grace period Debian allows expires, then far as I know will get archived. Again ... not sure if someone has already pointed this out but an example command to get stuff from there + depends.

apt install -t oldstable nameofpackage

You just target it with the -t flag based on whatever the repo is listed as in the sources.list file, you'll notice my entry was/is oldstable, that could've been unstable or whichever other too. So good project you have going, cool stuff to mess with for anyone wanting to get better acquainted with Debian and Bunsenlabs surely. Tough proj too though. Been doing it that way most the time I've used gnu/Nix and yeppers, it can be tedious to get done. Almost have my Buster OS/install wrapped up here as well. Couple more things to dork with and I'm done ! smile

Ps, also you likely already know the value but advise folks to do a backup, ASAP, once you get that install to a decent state. Lots of time and effort involved so CYB = cover your buttocks. I have a how-to on a backup/restore method using rsync in the how-to section here. Works great and if you don't have a preferred method already, give it a look.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-01 10:25:03)

#37 2019-11-02 08:42:38

linux_user

^ Ah, thank you very much for that reply. Honestly I didn't know that.

Booted up my desktop on which I am trying this project. I am connecting to internet via USB tethering from my phone. Strangely now, I am unable to connect. It throws an error saying 'temporary failure in name resolution'.

Ping says,

ping: google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

apt-update says,

W:Failed to fetch http://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/buster/InRelease    Temporary failure resolving 'deb.debian.org'

against each repo list

I had used the same set up to install sudo after the bare minimum installation. Not sure what's wrong now. Anyway, I tried resolving it by adding a Google's server,

echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" | sudo tee /etc/resolv.conf > /dev/null

Any help?

Did an apt update and yet, it isn't resolved.

#38 2019-11-02 23:31:20

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

First thing that comes to mind is finding out what you have running for networking, what's handling the interface(s)? Generally find the suckers with "sudo systemd-analyze blame" with experience someone can spot the suckers. Do you have systemd-resolved running ? It's kinda aggravating now, how many different things/services want to mess with something as simple as the resolv.conf file.

At the moment here am using wicd-gtk for the purpose of networking, it's a resource hog though. Someone still gets a handy graphical applet to use with networking. Personally planning on setting up systemd-networkd to manage interfaces at some point. Just haven't gotten around to it as yet. Anyway in your situation, it's a question of running down what's dealing with networking on the OS. Stuff along the lines of "sudo systemctl status systemd-networkd" enabling/disabling as needed, until it works as wanted.

Something else you might try (though is not as per above, it's more a dirty hackish type thing.) Use of chattr +i after editing the /etc/resolv.conf file and adding the dns servers you want and know work, this command makes it so that even root user can't edit/move the resolv.conf file. Would go ahead and run the command as root, "chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf" to reverse it you just use -i in place of +i. Good luck fellow nixer. It is a very involved process. I do much non-standard and tweakage/customizations too, so it really takes awhile for me to get a new minimal install where I like it.

#39 2019-11-04 05:21:56

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

One misc thing I have noticed while dorking around with wicd-gtk, it works better than Ceni, does manage the wireless interface better = faster and more stable web-browser, download speeds etc and so forth. Thing adds all of 40mbs or so to RAM overhead. Am starting to lighten up on things like this. It's not wasted if it serves a valid purpose or works better than more minimal alternatives. Sheesh even this old laptop has 4gbs-ram to work with. Not like 40mbs is going to be a deal breaker. Again .. when comes to managing things like dns, someone has to get familiar with the daemons trying to mess with it. In Buster's case very likely the resolvconf services.

Track down the files to edit which you want if you want to select them manually, believe for the resolvconf.service, that's the /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head file, to add the ones you prefer to top of list. Also if someone is dorking around with things like systemd-networkd and this one > systemd-resolved. Got it on good authority that the resolved service is buggy and quirky. Head_on_a_stick generally knows his gnu/Nix and that of which he speaks on it. smile Just some random observations on this. Even went so far as to purge ceni and install wicd-gtk on a 32bit Stretch install just now. As a result wifi does in fact seem to be working better with it.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-04 05:24:02)

#40 2019-11-14 18:43:43

linux_user

^ Thanks for taking the time to post the above. Honestly, they are above my network knowledge. So I reinstalled Debian bare minimum. And then used the t flag to installed the driver from Stretch. It worked. Thanks. And no! No one mentioned of the t flag earlier.

I thought of not installing a DE like XFCE but rather go head and install a DM and WM. So I went with installing lightdm. However this is the error I received. On rebooting, the computer boots to tty7 (the GUI) but it's just a black blank screen with a cursor on the top. No GUI. Ctrl+Alt+1 brings be back to tty1 where I can log in. Not sure what went wrong with the lightdm installation. Any idea?

#41 2019-11-14 20:45:03

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Yeah, pretty good idea. You're missing a bunch of packages that'd be needed to get what passes for a working install. The project you've undertaken here is not what I'd suggest for someone relatively new to gnu/Linux. Would advise sticking a bk-mark into it and building up your nixish know how and skillz here with Bunsenlabs. You've got a kickarse minimal Debian(stable) based operating system, equally kickarse team of devs/maintainers and same for the support community. So would say earn your bones, pay your dues with BL and then come back to this project at a later date fellow nixer. smile

#42 2019-11-14 20:50:14

linux_user

^ I am considering leaving it for now smile

I had installed lightdm during my previous baremin installations few weeks back during this very same project. It was installed when nouveau was the driver. Before I leave this project temporarily, I'd like to install bare min once again with XFCE during installation and then install nvidia 304xx legacy driver. If it works, the only thing extra would be some xfce packages that I can uninstall or just live with. At least, it'll give me a system on which I can tweak around.

No complains about BL, been using it since Hydrogen. Just thought on embarking on a trial and error learning of linux with Debian bare min smile. I am sure it's hard but I am convinced it would have been far easier had it not been for my desktop using a legacy nvidia driver. The bare min installation was pretty much in a working condition with nouveau and I discovered a lot of things, especially with compositor.

Last edited by linux_user (2019-11-14 21:10:41)

Board footer