You are not logged in.

#3026 2019-11-08 16:37:26

twoion
ほやほや

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

clusterF wrote:

The mockup https://debian-newhomepage.larjona.net/ seems user friendly, I like it.

What of the slide of the calamares installer for debian? Is that in the pipeline?

nore wrote:

Ok, two columns in that mockup represent dual nature of Debian, but spaces between icons and text do not scale down nicely. Narrow your window and see what happens.  You have to go deep down before two columns become one.

Just for the record, this already looks different from what was up there yesterday, and what I commented on. Work in progress...

New Horizons

#3027 2019-11-08 16:41:28

nore
>2⁹

Never write a caption or link called "more" with three dots in it. If there's something relevant behind it, tell me, what it is, don't try to tease me. Website is not a strip act. Designers of today seem to be afraid of long lists.

#3028 2019-11-08 18:52:07

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Ok well update: Success, switched over to using networkd + wpa_supplicant to handle wireless interface. Working fine, saving RAM which of course pleases me greatly. No loss in speed, though have yet to settle on an easy means of dealing with this should I take this old lappy mobile, there are several good possibilities to do so. Atm this old thing doesn't leave the apartment so am not overly concerned at this point in time. big_smile

PS, was going to write a BL specific tute on it but am tired and don't have BL onboard (kickbutt though this distro may be-is.) However am just going to link to the post about the sucker. Deb-fan is yours truly on that forum. smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-08 18:57:01)

#3029 2019-11-09 05:17:53

ohnonot
...again
Website

twoion wrote:

New proposed look for debian.org: https://old.reddit.com/r/debian/comment … _november/. Direct link: https://debian-newhomepage.larjona.net/

General feedback seems negative. I'd say rightly so.

Rightly so.
It will take more than a "revamp" to untangle the labyrinth that is debian.org.
Not that some sane CSS/HTML redesign couldn't help, but what I'm seeing is neither here nor there.

But yeah, let's call it WIP.
Check back in two years, when it goes from testing to stable big_smile

Last edited by ohnonot (2019-11-09 05:19:50)

#3030 2019-11-09 15:29:37

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

https://gitstorage.com/
Saw the cute thing spinning about smile , then I took a look at the price mad

#3031 2019-11-09 17:03:31

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#3032 2019-11-09 17:32:42

damo
....moderator....

So it is basically a RasPi, running Debian, with some software pre-installed? Which you can get for £30-40 in the UK hmm

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3033 2019-11-09 18:20:43

ohnonot
...again
Website

Sector11 wrote:

€ and $ are the same  ??????

Hooray and thanks to the Orange Baby!
Buy American while it lasts!

#3034 2019-11-09 22:15:10

twoion
ほやほや

ohnonot wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

€ and $ are the same  ??????

Hooray and thanks to the Orange Baby!
Buy American while it lasts!

The gitstorage device runs on Armbian Linux. The SD card stores the OS, the software, configuration data and the repositories; the repositories are stored in an encrypted partition.

Every company (or individual) that puts their code on a non-redundant storage with apparently zero disaster recovery/mirroring facilities deserves to lose their data. Any capable FreeNAS deployment makes more sense. Your laptop plus a pair of distinct external backup disks makes more sense. Also, quality control, SMART monitoring etc on SD cards is probably worse than on professional-grade SSDs. How do you do detect storage failure?? When the 1s in your code start turning into 0s...

If you need networked storage and have no idea, just start buying a  Synology (same price (minus disks)), then you can work your way up into the 10s of 1000s of dollars for enterprise storage arrays.

New Horizons

#3035 2019-11-10 07:25:27

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Another zombie related question. Although I should've posted this sooner, as Halloween has already come and gone ... oh well. Anyway, aren't zombies kinda self regulating ? I mean, they eat people, so if they kill somebody, then eat them. No new zombies or really messed up zombies, like missing arms and legs and stuff. How's a poor zombie with no arms supposed to grab anybody and one missing a leg, give much of a chase ?

Or they eat brains specifically in some stories. Well again ... if they eat the persons brains, how can they become zombified ? As everyone knows ya got to hit em in the head/brain to kill these things. Alright, whoever wants to can ponder this. One of many things which make me go hmmmmmm ?

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2019-11-10 07:30:16)

#3036 2019-11-10 07:38:07

beaker

#3037 2019-11-10 10:02:18

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

damo wrote:

So it is basically a RasPi, running Debian, with some software pre-installed? Which you can get for £30-40 in the UK hmm

I took a look at it and the feature set and figured it'd be like $50 - $75 (USD) at most. Still pricey for simple dotfile and scripts (that's all I'll ever use git for anyway) but passable. $300 is a joke. I'll stick to my USB thumb drive.

#3038 2019-11-10 13:54:17

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

LMAO Beaker !!! big_smile

What's really scary is thought that song was kinda catchy. If listened to it a few more times could get to liking it ! OMG, somebody shoot me in da head/brain !

#3039 2019-11-10 14:01:37

eight.bit.al

BLizgreat! wrote:

What's really scary is thought that song was kinda catchy. I

Thank science I'm not afflicted with whatever that disease is called.  ;-)

8bit

A mind is a terrible thing not to change.
The problem lies not with new ideas, but in escaping the old ones.

#3040 2019-11-10 14:49:56

clusterF

BLizgreat! wrote:

if they eat the persons brains, how can they become zombified ? As everyone knows ya got to hit em in the head/brain to kill these things. Alright, whoever wants to can ponder this. One of many things which make me go hmmmmmm ?

All the brains they shouldnt come back as a zombie, im yet to see a zombie flick where a human has there brains eaten for lunch and come back as a zombie, if i have ive forgotten it, probably for good reason wink.

#3041 2019-11-10 15:06:55

damo
....moderator....

Get real guys - Randall Munroe usually puts things in perspective...

outbreak.png

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3042 Yesterday 09:38:38

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Lol ... nice guys. smile

^ @Damo ... Hey, helluva plot twist, I actually like that kind of thing, though in the context of wanting to see zombification and it turning into a chick flick ... not so much.

#3043 Today 06:38:35

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

More misc gnu/nix randomness. Been on the 2-dork list forever too. Though outside of research haven't gotten down to the nitty-gritty involved. This being to symlink the standard de/compression tools to their newer/better parallel process (multicore-threaded) cousins. Pigz and those for bzip and xz etc etc.

ie: In terminal "which gzip" which of course shows you /usr/bin/gzip, then "which pigz" also going to show you /usr/bin/pigz. Now I symlink /usr/bin/gzip to go to /usr/bin/pigz and ?

Well pigz is fully backwards compatible and will handle things compressed with gzip just fine. Though last I checked it'll only use 1-core while doing so, whereas those things need to be compressed with pigz, in order for it's multi-core functions to kick in. Bottom-line ? Setup correctly things all still work as usual, while again, setup correctly from then on things work better and faster as multicore de/compression programs get used instead. big_smile

Note: This is a very basic overview of the concept involved. Isn't rocket science but still warrants research(thus understanding) before being applied in a real life, everyday use deal. It's possible there are some bugger-bears on a given install which could cause problems should someone just proceed with this in a state of total ignorance = without some research and testing. Blahblahblah.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (Today 06:43:55)

#3044 Today 11:49:43

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Just looking for feedback. In particular what people are using for size limit in journald ? I dork with it, not gotten overly familiar with the thing outside of some basic's however decided to go ahead and mess with it more and so the question, what size has anyone found to be worthwhile for using it ? Personally opting for 75mbs at the moment. Might push that up to a couple hundred. Also while on this, kind of debating shutting down the conventional rsyslog too. I mean systemd is here to stay, so not sure about bothering with a redundant logging running on top of the journald thing. Of course hesitating about going through with it right now and will likely just leave it running anyway. Not like have ever gotten to be a gnu/nix logging guru or even much of competent on the topic. Leaning towards changing that though. What say you fellow nixers ? big_smile

Board footer