You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-01 20:27:49

infinice

Advice for would-be Blender user?

Hi-
I'm seeking to run Blender on Linux, so will be trying BunsenLabs and Deepin* (former for speed, latter for ease of use).
Does anybody have any personal experience with Blender on BL, especially concerning speed (is it really faster, or about same?)?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I know they're at cross-purposes but i'm also interested in GUI customization (i'm very distractable so being able to run background dimmers and the like is a big deal to me) so if anybody can tell me what desktop manager (gnome? kde? etc) is best for BL, i'd really love to know.
Thanks in advance.
*I have a feeling i won't get too far with Deepin. Turns out forum registration form is chinese only! sad

Infinice in Vancouver

Why are computers like hemorrhoids? When you sit down the pain returns!

#2 2019-11-01 20:49:00

damo
....moderator....

Re: Advice for would-be Blender user?

There are a few Blender users around here, I use it exclusively on BL. Speed and useability are fine - my main issues were configuring my system to use the nvidia card, and get optimus configured.

I recommend you DO NOT install from the repos, but download the latest version (either 2.80 Stable, or the latest 2.8x build.) Extract the zipfile to $HOME, and run the executable directly. It includes all the library versions required to run Blender, and quickly outstrips the Debian Stable version regarding features and UI and performance.

Several threads and HowTo's on the forums (easily updated to the present situation) eg
getBlender
HowTo: GPU rendering on Buster, with Nvidia and Bumblebee (Optimus)

I use a script to go and get the latest build whenever I feel like smile

so if anybody can tell me what desktop manager (gnome? kde? etc) is best for BL, i'd really love to know.

BL uses Openbox, which is a Window Manager, and everything is optimised around that. But you can install a variety of Desktop Environments - it is all personal preference, and how much bloat you can live with. Try them and see what suits you.

Last edited by damo (2019-11-01 20:52:45)

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-11-01 20:54:56

linux_user

infinice wrote:

I know they're at cross-purposes but i'm also interested in GUI customization (i'm very distractable so being able to run background dimmers and the like is a big deal to me) so if anybody can tell me what desktop manager (gnome? kde? etc) is best for BL, i'd really love to know.

Background dimmers and transparency can be configured in Compton - BL's compositor. From what I know, you can customize many GUI features in BL. Unless you are more specific about GUI customization, that's all I can say at the moment.

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#4 2019-11-02 12:55:41

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

@infinice, The most important aspect of it imho is viewport redraw and edit-mode redraw and they both suck in 2.81 so far. At the moment I'd probably construct/model stuff in 2.79 series and then import that into 2.81 (for the new denoiser) for rendering/post. But that can be all a function of my old machine.

Based on a youtube clip it is quite faster on Linux (irc it was ubuntu) than on windows, so at least that is a clear choice (Unless you are tied to Adobe for post and don't want to dual-boot).

And yes it does work just fine with openbox.

An update script for 281. (Not a version for production as they say)

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2019-11-02 13:08:16)

#5 2019-11-05 20:19:42

infinice

Thanks for the replies people.
I have 3 reactions. Firstly, I'm in way over my head. BunsenLabs is clearly for pros only. This is obviously an excellent forum, but barring some hand-holding on GNU, BL's desktop environment etc., i (a linux noob) don't have a prayer of making it work. (Anybody know of good sites explaining BL's constituents?)
My second reaction- i still don't know if BL is worth the hassle. Sorry if i sound rude but- i must know how much faster BL is (than standard distros like Mint or Deepin).
Third: "Unless you are more specific about GUI customization..." Well, that's simple. I need to dim active window backgrounds, and i'd sure like to mimic most of the functionality of StarDock's WindowFX.
Thanks again for responding everybody. But i think that even if BL is substantially faster,  it'd be biting off more than i can chew.
-Windows refugee.

#6 2019-11-05 22:13:15

damo
....moderator....

i must know how much faster BL is (than standard distros like Mint or Deepin)

Try them all out and see.

Anybody know of good sites explaining BL's constituents?

These forums: Introduction to the BunsenLabs Desktop

...and in a live session: Menu -> Help & Resources -> Openbox etc

#7 2019-11-06 06:26:37

ohnonot
...again
Website

infinice wrote:

My second reaction- i still don't know if BL is worth the hassle. Sorry if i sound rude but- i must know how much faster BL is (than standard distros like Mint or Deepin).

I can tell you that much: it's definitely faster than the standard GNOME desktop many major distros (Ubuntu, Fedora... even Debian) come with these days.
I would not consider Deepin (a) standard.

#8 2019-11-06 08:26:16

damo
....moderator....

A Blender power-user should find BL with Openbox a walk-in-the-park: lots of nice keybinds and an infinity of tweaking  cool

#9 2019-11-06 19:03:01

dove

damo wrote:

A Blender power-user should find BL with Openbox a walk-in-the-park: lots of nice keybinds and an infinity of tweaking  cool

I agree BL is the best for blender power users

Board footer