You are not logged in.

#151 2019-10-09 13:32:58

manyroads
Website

Re: Experimental BunsenLabs Lithium

I m sorry to say that I should have also reported my successes in this thread, I guess.  I have the latest release working well on both MX19b3 and antiX19b3.  I made a small change to the exit routine to use my yad script.  Otherwise everything seems to work and run minus "systemd."  The desktop also seems to play nicely with the mxTool set; I have not had a chance to check that out yet on antiX.  I had to remove antiX's slim display manager and replace with lightdm... things didn't work without that change, for some reason.  Personally I'm not a fan of slim anyway. wink  Here's my thread on BL Forums...
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=6147

Here's my thread on MX Forums:
https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=53187

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau (manyroads)
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."    ---H. L. Mencken
Reg. Linux User #449130 ~ MXLinux, antiX, BunsenLabs, ArchLabs

#152 2019-10-20 13:14:56

jalfonsi

Hello, I have been able to dress BL Helium (Stretch) with the new Lithium packages. I added the Lithium experimental repo, did a full-upgrade and deleted everything in .config directory. I had only an issue with Jgmenu not finding lx-module so I backported from Buster to Stretch menu-cache3 building from deb-src. Everything is pretty good, only bunsen-thunar and bunsen-utilities could not be upgraded because of missing dependencies in Stretch (libthunarx-3-0 and python3-distutils).

#153 2019-10-26 09:17:02

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

Really enjoying my fresh Lithium install. You have done a great job so far, take your time, it pays off in the end. smile

One peculiar thing though that I have noticed. When I use the TTY log in option with startx, the dialog bl-exit box does not come up from neither the menu, or the key combo super+x. If I recall correctly that did work in Helium, and it still does, though my Helium is targeted at unstable since quite some time.

Just wanted to mention it in case it is something that needs attention. Thank you. smile

Keep BunsenLabs #!yish please.

#154 2019-10-27 03:05:00

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Dolly, thanks for the feedback, and the encouragement!

You might have found a bug here - I wonder if you could repost the bl-exit issue as a new topic in "Bug Reports"? We'd like to get to the bottom of it, and the conversation might clog up this general thread.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#155 2019-11-17 09:18:41

ekzotic

I like it so far and theme looks very nice as usual with Crunch/Bunsen. As for suggestions - option to not install Libreoffice and to install Chrome/Chromium from the menu (like before). And to add keyboard layout switcher by default.

#156 2019-11-17 10:03:07

alef

Hi,

I have just installed Bunsen Lithium on a new machine.

One problem I have is that whenever I suspend the computer (or simply lock it with Super+L), then the screen shuts down and remains black. Thankfully, the password field is selected by default and I'm able to type in my password and unlock with Enter.

This might be caused by me pulling some dotfiles from a previous setup into my home directory by mistake.

Any solution for this?

Thanks.

P.S. The installation of Lithium was very smooth, Impressive work, guys!

Thinkpad X1Carbon 3rd Gen | BunsenLabs Deuterium
Thinkpad X250 | BunsenLabs Deuterium
Thinkpad X1Carbon 1st Edition | CrunchBang Waldorf r20121015
Thinkpad X240 | Wally <-- don't buy that & Eee-PC 1000H  |  CrunchBang Statler r20110207 Openbox

#157 2019-11-17 11:03:27

nore
>2⁹

alef wrote:

One problem I have is that whenever I suspend the computer (or simply lock it with Super+L), then the screen shuts down and remains black.

It's a bug in current version of light-locker. Remove it, install xscreensaver and bind Super+L to

xscreenlocker-command -lock

or install some other alternative.

#158 2019-11-17 11:06:47

nore
>2⁹

^^...or, before removing and installing packages, try

dm-tool switch-to-greeter

#159 2019-11-17 20:30:08

ekzotic

How about adding Nvidia/AMD drivers optional to post install script? Could help new users not mess up their system and it's easier to fix screen tears (at least for me on nv).

#160 2019-11-17 21:07:05

damo
....moderator....

ekzotic wrote:

How about adding Nvidia/AMD drivers optional to post install script? Could help new users not mess up their system and it's easier to fix screen tears (at least for me on nv).

It would be nice, but is not a trivial task to automate: you get into maybe having to set up Optimus and bbswitch etc, and maybe kernel boot parameters...and...and...and...

The nouveau driver which is shipped with BL does a good job generally, but the quirks of your own hardware means you may have to do some configuration yourself.

(You could try something like Mint which does a good job OOTB for NVidia hardware)

Personally I learned the hard way by messing up my system several times  monkey  On the plus side though, I learned how to set up NVidia and optimize the graphics, and also how to archive  the installation partition, and restore it after f***ing it up!

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#161 2019-11-17 22:05:50

ekzotic

damo wrote:

Personally I learned the hard way by messing up my system several times  monkey  On the plus side though, I learned how to set up NVidia and optimize the graphics, and also how to archive  the installation partition, and restore it after f***ing it up!

Yeah thats fun for sure  smile
Maybe better then to link to some step by step guide how to identify your hardware and install correct driver the right way? I thinking from a new user perspective who is not very experienced with debian/linux to get slightly less steep learning curve.

#162 2019-11-17 22:23:27

damo
....moderator....

ekzotic wrote:

Maybe better then to link to some step by step guide how to identify your hardware and install correct driver the right way? I thinking from a new user perspective who is not very experienced with debian/linux to get slightly less steep learning curve.

I guess they could be more prominent, but there are several HowTo's for NVidia on these forums. Even if some a getting dated they can still give you a step-by-step.

This, for example:
HowTo: Install NVIDIA - with HoaS and damo methods.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#163 2019-11-18 00:41:38

hhh
Meep!
Website

nore wrote:
alef wrote:

One problem I have is that whenever I suspend the computer (or simply lock it with Super+L), then the screen shuts down and remains black.

It's a bug in current version of light-locker. Remove it, install xscreensaver and bind Super+L to

xscreenlocker-command -lock

or install some other alternative.

Debian Bug link, please? I don't have this problem. I push the power button on my laptop to see the login-screen after suspend, and any key after screen-lock blanking (I use the Windows key) to see the login-screen.

#164 2019-11-18 04:11:25

nore
>2⁹

#165 2019-11-18 12:15:47

ekzotic

Looks like it doesn't play well with systemd

#166 2019-11-18 18:27:44

alef

nore wrote:

^^...or, before removing and installing packages, try

Thanks for this info.

didn't work for me, I'll try the other proposed workaround smile

Thinkpad X1Carbon 3rd Gen | BunsenLabs Deuterium
Thinkpad X250 | BunsenLabs Deuterium
Thinkpad X1Carbon 1st Edition | CrunchBang Waldorf r20121015
Thinkpad X240 | Wally <-- don't buy that & Eee-PC 1000H  |  CrunchBang Statler r20110207 Openbox

Board footer