You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-13 21:27:53

penguinator

Missing JAVA plug-in after running Welcome script JAVA installation

I don't think this is a bug in BL Linux itself, but perhaps a bug in the Welcome script that installed, or was supposed to install, JAVA.

I found another post from a half-year ago that said there was a problem with the script looking for IcedTea, when it was no longer in the repo.  But, the thread gives the impression that it was fixed, some time ago.  Yet, I ran the Welcome script just now, and I don't think I have JAVA.

The test that's failing is at the official JAVA site.  After I click the button and wait (there's quite a delay) an error message appears, that mentions a 'Missing Plugin' and goes on to say:

We are unable to verify if Java is currently installed and enabled in your browser.

This is in the Midori browser, which has very little, if anything, that could disable JAVA. 

There was a mention that there was a scripting error referring to a non-existent package, so assuming I may be equally affected, I ran the recommended fix for a possible broken package, which was:

~$ sudo apt install -f
[sudo] password for ron: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

I assumed this would fix things up, if the script was still failing, so I ran what the OP did, in that thread:

~$ sudo apt-get install bunsen-meta-java
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
bunsen-meta-java is already the newest version (9.4.2-2).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Is there any way of testing, other than the JAVA site, to see if I really have JAVA installed -- and more important, functional, or not?

Last edited by penguinator (2019-09-13 21:39:43)

System Info:
ASUS EeePC 701 netbook, 4GB SSD
BL Helium

#2 2019-09-14 04:25:56

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Missing JAVA plug-in after running Welcome script JAVA installation

Sorry, but there is no longer any java browser plugin.

The issue with the welcome script was fixed, in the sense that it no longer tries to install a non-existent package.

Firefox does not now support java plugins: https://java.com/en/download/faq/firefox_java.xml

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#3 2019-09-14 08:16:28

twoion
ほやほや

The only  mainstream browser left to support the Java plugin is Internet Explorer. Safari, Firefox, Chrome have dropped support by dropping NPAPI support. I think Palemoon (derived from an older Firefox version) still has Java plugin support though that's certainly not a mainstream browser.

At the end of the river the sundown beams

#4 2019-09-15 18:54:16

penguinator

johnraff wrote:

Sorry, but there is no longer any java browser plugin.

The issue with the welcome script was fixed, in the sense that it no longer tries to install a non-existent package.

Thanks for clarifying that.  But, then, what is the Welcome script doing, when the user selects 'Y'?  If not a browser plugin, *then do I now have a Java Runtime installation, installed in the operating system*??

I like to keep my system 'clean' so are we saying there's no need for me to look for and uninstall a Java browser plugin, because the Welcome script never installed it?  How can I reverse whatever else the script did to the operating system, once I understand what that was, and then decide whether or not I want to keep it?

Sorry for the 'noob' questions, but I think I was confused by exactly what was being done for me, when I told the script to 'go ahead'! :-O

Last edited by penguinator (2019-09-15 19:03:25)

System Info:
BL Helium

#5 2019-09-15 19:19:22

penguinator

twoion wrote:

The only  mainstream browser left to support the Java plugin is Internet Explorer. Safari, Firefox, Chrome have dropped support by dropping NPAPI support. I think Palemoon (derived from an older Firefox version) still has Java plugin support though that's certainly not a mainstream browser.

I continued to see warnings such as this, after I told the Welcome script to go ahead, and was confused as to why this should be:

Your browser does not seem to support JavaScript. As a result, your viewing experience will be diminished, and you may not be able to execute some actions.

Please download a browser that supports JavaScript, or enable it if it's disabled (i.e. NoScript).

So then, JavaScript support is entirely different from Java support?  I am wondering if my confusion was due to my not deactivating NoScript for these sites?

Still, much appreciated if you could tell me what the Welcome script -- in its present, and debugged form -- is installing, because the screen 'goes too fast' for a user to really analyze it before it finishes.

System Info:
BL Helium

#6 2019-09-15 19:57:44

damo
....moderator....

penguinator wrote:

Still, much appreciated if you could tell me what the Welcome script -- in its present, and debugged form -- is installing, because the screen 'goes too fast' for a user to really analyze it before it finishes.

~/.cache/bunsen-welcome/bl-welcome.log

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#7 2019-09-15 20:02:20

penguinator

cool Perfect, thank you!  That was a good idea, for the script to create a log of what it has done.  It seems the BL Linux developers have anticipated my question, and so, the answer is already there!

System Info:
BL Helium

Board footer