You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-09 12:12:02

penguinator

Timeshift is distro and version-agnostic and safe to install [SOLVED]

I would like to install Timeshift, but can't find definitive information on it, as noted in the Subject line.

A search of this forum produces a two-year old post in the thread System Snapshot and Rollback Capabilities (presumably meaning for BL Linux) where (only) the name of the package is  mentioned once, in the final post, but the mention seems to have gone without a response.

The Timeshift home page says it's for 'Linux' but I can't find a mention of which distro the developer is talking about.

Timeshift is packaged by Debian for Sid and Buster, but I seen no mention of Stretch, which I believe is what we are running?  Assuming Timeshift is really compatible with Stretch, then it seems the options are going to either the Sid or Buster repo or going to the Timeshift developer's PPA, where one has to choose which package, for which I would like help: GTK+, Gnome, or something else?

I am running the 'stock' OpenBox as it comes with the original BL Linux installation.

Timeshift does not appear in Synaptic, as configured by BunsenLabs for Helium.

I suspect this may be an oversight and it's OK to install?  Sorry if the answer is obvious, but I am very new to BL Linux and have only installed three packages, so far.  But I did read the warning about creating a FrankenDebian. yikes

Any help or advice will be appreciated!

Last edited by penguinator (2019-09-13 15:15:08)

System Info:
ASUS EeePC 701 netbook, 4GB SSD
BL Helium

#2 2019-09-09 12:45:37

damo
....moderator....

Re: Timeshift is distro and version-agnostic and safe to install [SOLVED]

You can get information about Debian packages with https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages.

If a package doesn't show up in synaptic (or apt-cache policy <packagename>) then it isn't included in any of your sources.

As you have found, timeshift is available for buster and newer, so an option is to try and build your own backported version. There is a HowTo for this process for BL.

NB: Backporting is much safer than messing up your system by mixing sources!!!

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-09-09 13:25:47

penguinator

Thanks very much for how to work-around the absence of Timeshift in the selection of repos loaded into Synaptic in a fresh-install of Helium.

I thought Timeshift was just about the only currently-developed (which now excludes Systemback) gui-solution for restoring a lost or damaged GNU/Linux system.

I now suspect there must be another way, or a better way, since it appears I'm the only user who has noted the absence of Timeshift.  Maybe there's a reason for this?

But, this is not the correct forum for that question, so I will make a new post in the appropriate location.  If that comes up 'dry, then of course I'll follow you directions and do a back-port.

Thanks again for the very prompt and helpful reply!

System Info:
BL Helium

#4 2019-09-09 14:13:01

penguinator

Before backporting Timeshift myself, or looking for an alternative package, I have found a post on the Debian forums that directed me to the MX Repository and Mepis Community Repository.

One of the repos here (MX-17) is for a distro of Debian Stable running the XFCE desktop, and the Debian-forum post says that here, one may find packages already backported to Stretch, as necessary.  One of these packages is Timeshift.

The files' dates are quite recent.

Question: Unless someone says otherwise, I can't see any way it could cause a problem if such a package were installed.  I don't think that it's also running XFCE could cause a problem, or could it?

The next question, if 'yes' to the first question, would it also be a good idea just to add the entire MX repo of backports, for Stretch, to Synaptic in the Stretch version of BL Linux?  If OK, then, would that not take care of future updates, so they would be 'coming down the line' automatically?

Last edited by penguinator (2019-09-09 14:20:56)

System Info:
BL Helium

#5 2019-09-09 16:29:41

DeepDayze

penguinator wrote:

Before backporting Timeshift myself, or looking for an alternative package, I have found a post on the Debian forums that directed me to the MX Repository and Mepis Community Repository.

One of the repos here (MX-17) is for a distro of Debian Stable running the XFCE desktop, and the Debian-forum post says that here, one may find packages already backported to Stretch, as necessary.  One of these packages is Timeshift.

The files' dates are quite recent.

Question: Unless someone says otherwise, I can't see any way it could cause a problem if such a package were installed.  I don't think that it's also running XFCE could cause a problem, or could it?

The next question, if 'yes' to the first question, would it also be a good idea just to add the entire MX repo of backports, for Stretch, to Synaptic in the Stretch version of BL Linux?  If OK, then, would that not take care of future updates, so they would be 'coming down the line' automatically?

Stevep can chime in as he's here on this forum and is the developer for MX Linux so he might be able to answer your question

Real Men Use Linux

#6 2019-09-10 00:52:29

penguinator

So far as I can see, MX-17 is Stretch, as is BL Helium:

timeshift - 18.9+ds-1~mx17+1
Version: 18.9+ds-1~mx17+1

Section: utils

Architecture: 32bit and 64bit

Description:
Timeshift is a system restore utility which takes snapshots
of the system at regular intervals. These snapshots can be restored
at a later date to undo system changes. Creates incremental snapshots
using rsync or BTRFS snapshots using BTRFS tools.
Homepage: http://teejeetech.blogspot.in/

Maintainer: Steven Pusser

Download for 32 bit here: timeshift_18.9+ds-1~mx17+1_i386.deb

Download for 64 bit here: timeshift_18.9+ds-1~mx17+1_amd64.deb

System Info:
BL Helium

#7 2019-09-10 14:10:00

penguinator

Slightly off-topic, but of interest to anyone coming across this thread in a search, who may also be interested in using timeshift:

If the desktop is unavailable, this utility can be run from the command line, but the details are extremely hard to find by searching the internet, the utility's home page, or its GitHUB page.

sudo timeshift --help | more

[edit]After trying to first restore from the command line, I suspect that doing it from a live instance is now the primary recommendation ... because the command line may not work so well, on certain systems.[/edit]

Last edited by penguinator (2019-09-13 14:51:28)

System Info:
BL Helium

#8 2019-09-13 14:48:02

penguinator

All the time I spent searching to insure a yikes FrankenDebian offspring was not in the offing, was in vain.

We have word from the _Timeshift_ developer that his package is, in fact, 'distro- and version-agnostic'.

I made a suggestion that if the package name were to end in, for example, xxxxxxxx-all.deb, it might be more self-explanatory.

Last edited by penguinator (2019-09-13 15:07:17)

System Info:
BL Helium

Board footer