You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-10 11:29:40

penguinator

Bleachbit (from repo in synaptic) fails to run as root [RESOLVED]

The terminal command, pkexec bleachbit, produces no result, when entered into the 'Run' box.  In other words, the password prompt appears, the password is entered and accepted, then that disappears and nothing happens.

Running pxexec bleachbit in terminal gives an error message that includes:

gtkwarning: could not open display

... and on this, I would appreciate some help on what to do next.

Incidentally, the installation seems functional, since 'bleachbit', by itself does run bleachbit, but not with the ability to clear out files that require root permission, so that's not very helpful.

I just put the error message into the forum's Search feature, thinking someone else must have solved this (Bleachbit is a popular program), but instead of a solution, am seeing this:

Info
Your search returned no hits.

... so perhaps the answer may be useful to others, as well. cool

BL Helium

Last edited by penguinator (2019-09-13 15:16:40)

System Info:
ASUS EeePC 701 netbook, 4GB SSD
BL Helium

#2 2019-09-10 15:54:53

rbh

Re: Bleachbit (from repo in synaptic) fails to run as root [RESOLVED]

penguinator wrote:

The terminal command, pkexec bleachbit, produces no result, when entered into the 'Run' box.  In other words, the password prompt appears, the password is entered and accepted, then that disappears and nothing happens.

Running pxexec bleachbit in terminal gives an error message that includes:

gtkwarning: could not open display

BL Helium

The problem is not with bleachbit, it's with pkexec.

You are running BL Helium/Debian Stretch?
i think that BL abondend "gksudo" as a mean to execute program as another user in summer 2018. (Just pkexec wihout username, gives root priviliges.)

If you have an old install, you maybe still have gksudo?

If I in an terminal enter:
"~$ pkexec terminator", I also get the error:
"Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused
Unable to init server: Kunde inte ansluta: Connection refused
You need to run terminator in an X environment. Make sure $DISPLAY is properly set"

But, sudo comand or gksudo command works for me.
or "$ pkexec synaptic".

Pkexec (or the Policy Kit application framwork") gives default only permissions for some applications. It is possible to allow more apps.

I can now not find any good howto. The search: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pkexec+config … org&ia=web, gave some links...

Last edited by rbh (2019-09-10 15:57:49)

// Regards rbh

#3 2019-09-10 16:11:13

damo
....moderator....

Have a look at this thread:  Running GUI applications as root in BunsenLabs

A .policy file for bleachbit is needed. There is a HowTo here: HOWTO: Xfce - Replace GKSU with PolicyKit

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#4 2019-09-11 02:23:53

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Also, check /usr/share/applicatons/bleachbit.desktop, if it exists, and see what command is on the line starting "Exec="

Ah, I see there is a bleachbit-root.desktop - that might well hold the command you need.

Last edited by johnraff (2019-09-11 02:25:45)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#5 2019-09-11 12:19:16

penguinator

Many thanks for the above three replies.  I suspect that the third may do the trick, because this is how it would have been set-up in the Main Menu, if it had been configured automatically upon installation of the package.

So, this will be a good learning experience.  It will likely come in handy for future installations on the OpenBox menu, with its need for manual configuration.  I agree with another forum member, posted elsewhere, that OpenBox's manual menu configuration does have its advantages because the user does not have to search and guess, where 'things' have been put.

Thanks to rbh for pointing out I had forgotten to put my BL version in my signature.  That has been remedied.

As to which solution works, I have to get the machine booting, first! wink

On that matter, I refer to a post waiting for a reply in the System Administration forum.  Perhaps that was not the best place to put it, but I thought the solution would be sufficiently technical that it would qualify for that category, rather than posting it under Basic Help

It has occurred to me, after doing some internet searching, that a bad shut-down can corrupt files that were open at that moment, in so many different locations, that trouble-shooting may not be feasible.  Perhaps that's why there hasn't been a response. 

I'll wait a bit more, then forget about having a 'learning experience' for repairing a damaged system, just go ahead, and reload the OS ... then, I'll figure out how to run Bleachbit as root ... which, if one reads the linked post, was the reason for getting into the boot-loop, in the first place.  cry

System Info:
BL Helium

#6 2019-09-13 13:35:53

penguinator

@johnraff , thanks very much for the tip on where to look for the terminal command that runs Bleachbit, as root.  It worked perfectly, and was noted for my menu-editing session.

penguinator wrote:

... It has occurred to me, after doing some internet searching, that a bad shut-down can corrupt files that were open at that moment, in so many different locations, that trouble-shooting may not be feasible.  ...(

Work on Bleachbit was able to resume, after I got the netbook booting again.  There was more damage to the filesystem, or perhaps individual files, than fsck could handle.  A system restore with Timeshift resulted in a trouble-free boot, with the looping gone.

Last edited by penguinator (2019-09-13 15:12:11)

System Info:
BL Helium

Board footer