You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-07 23:47:15

penguinator

Newly-installed packages aren't appearing in OpenBox Menu

Installing packages is such a common operation that the answer to this must be somewhere, but searching the forum on various combinations of the the terms in the Subject line is bringing up hundreds of hits, none of which seem relevant.

Pointing me in the right direction with a link would be sufficient -- as I'm certain others have come across this situation, described as follows:

I have a fresh installation of the current version of BL Linux and have installed my first two packages: first, GNote (through Synaptic) and second, Midori Web Browser (through the Gdebi package installer) as I have a .deb file for the most recent version). 

But, with the installation completed, the only way of running them is by using Run Program from the main menu.  I was expecting the installation to add an entry to the appropriate section of the main Menu, but I don't see anything new there.

I'm turning the netbook off for the night.  Does it require a reboot?  But, that seems to be most unusual. 

There must be an obvious answer, but in addition to searching the forum, I also did a DDG on the entire internet.  Any help will be very appreciated.

Last edited by penguinator (2019-09-08 09:53:56)

System Info:
ASUS EeePC 701 netbook, 4GB SSD
BL Helium

#2 2019-09-08 00:59:14

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod

Re: Newly-installed packages aren't appearing in OpenBox Menu

penguinator wrote:

There must be an obvious answer, but in addition to searching the forum, I also did a DDG on the entire internet.  Any help will be very appreciated.

OpenBox requires "user input"... my BL OB Menu is a bit dated but look for something like:

Preferences > OpenBox > GUI Menu Editor

2019-09-07_214937_S11.th.jpg

Create a new entry for your programs:

Label: Midori
Execute: midori

and or

Label: BL Forum
Execute: midori https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/

BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

#3 2019-09-08 01:04:33

eight.bit.al

If you want a dynamic menu, see if this helps.

8bit

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
    - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

The best is yet to come.

#4 2019-09-08 09:41:44

penguinator

Sector11 wrote:
penguinator wrote:

There must be an obvious answer [to why the entries aren't appearing], but in addition to searching the forum, I also did a DDG on the entire internet.  Any help will be very appreciated.

OpenBox requires "user input"...

eight.bit.al wrote:

If you want a dynamic menu, see if this helps.

Thanks to both.  Not sure which approach I will use, because on this machine I'm on a 4GB SSD want to keep the installation as 'slim' as possible.

Obviously, the first approach will do that.

I have followed eight.bit's link and my only question is, which of the many choices has the least 'overhead'?  Given the size of my SSD, I may have to be guided by that, if I wish to 'get fancy'.

System Info:
ASUS EeePC 701 netbook, 4GB SSD
BL Helium

#5 2019-09-09 11:15:30

damo
....moderator....

I am surprised your searching didn't start with Getting Started»Introduction to the BunsenLabs Desktop
The first section deals with the Menu wink

I much prefer my nice static OB menu! But jgmenu is going to be the default for Lithium, and you could install it now if you like.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Board footer