You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-02 19:26:09

helminthe
Member
Registered: 2017-11-17
Posts: 6

tinier browser?

Anything that I try nowadays kills a Pentium III sad
Would https://www.netsurf-browser.org be worth considering for BL default browser?

Offline

#2 2019-09-02 19:57:06

Sector11
The Tpyo Knig Mod
From: 77345 ¡#
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 5,528

Re: tinier browser?

Not sure if it would be a "default" but it is only a:

sudo apt install netsurf

away anyway.

Looks interesting:
2019-09-02_165511_Scrot11.th.jpg


BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: d67 Kernel: 4.9.0-9-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

Offline

#3 2019-09-02 22:51:33

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 8,315
Website

Re: tinier browser?

Sector11 wrote:

Not sure if it would be a "default" but it is only a:

sudo apt install netsurf

away anyway.

Not in  current buster/upcoming lithium...

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=netsurf

The sid version is probably easy to backport, though.

Offline

#4 2019-09-03 03:08:50

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 5,721
Website

Re: tinier browser?

For years I've had dillo on hand as a quick browser for fetching a search result, dictionary lookup etc. It's amazingly fast, and its lack of any kind of javascript support helps keep security issues under control. Disable remote/embedded css with the settings icon for an even more minimal experience.

With my current somewhat more powerful machine it's less necessary than it was, but if Firefox isn't already up and running and all you want is a quick web search then dillo is well worth trying IMO. Don't even think of using it for anything Serious though. According to Debian, the only safe browsers they offer are Firefox and Chromium.


John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Offline

#5 2019-09-03 14:28:41

clusterF
Member
Registered: 2019-05-07
Posts: 141

Re: tinier browser?

Midori browser is not too bad for a low resource browser, might suit your needs.

https://www.midori-browser.org/


Everything not saved will be lost.

--Nintendo "Quit Screen" message

Offline

#6 2019-09-03 14:37:49

bigbenaugust
Member
From: unc.edu / the 919 / KIGX
Registered: 2017-05-20
Posts: 159

Re: tinier browser?

Are uzbl and xombrero still out there? Guess not... sad 

https://www.uzbl.org/ (really old code)
https://github.com/conformal/xombrero (says it's discontinued)


--Ben
BL / MX / Raspbian... and a whole bunch of RHEL boxes. :)

Offline

#7 2019-09-03 15:20:30

earlybird
ほやほや
Registered: 2015-12-16
Posts: 717
Website

Re: tinier browser?

helminthe wrote:

Anything that I try nowadays kills a Pentium III sad
Would https://www.netsurf-browser.org be worth considering for BL default browser?

No. netsurf has its own layout engine and custom JavaScript engine which is very very far away from  the mainstream engines (Mozilla/Microsoft/Apple/Google).

Since the browser is so essential nowadays that people trust it to render and execute their online banking, stock trading platforms etc reliably and securely BL just can't ship a fringe browser by default but has to pick a mainstream browser.

In which we have IIRC stayed true to Iceweasel then and Firefox now, which probably is the most libre browser with mainstream support available.

Offline

#8 2019-09-04 00:39:13

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 8,315
Website

Re: tinier browser?

earlybird wrote:

Since the browser is so essential nowadays that people trust it to render and execute their online banking, stock trading platforms etc reliably and securely BL just can't ship a fringe browser by default but has to pick a mainstream browser.

In which we have IIRC stayed true to Iceweasel then and Firefox now, which probably is the most libre browser with mainstream support available.

Good answer. +1. We want the most complete desktop experience available OOTB. Firefox is what got me interested in Linux in the first place, it's a solid browser and a very decent company, IMO.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB