You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-21 11:16:51

jalfonsi

Desktop loading takes too long with Nvidia

Hello, I have a little issue with desktop loading after login taking almost 4 minutes. Yesterday I successfully installed on my old Asus laptop supported Nvidia drivers 390 for Helium/Stretch with Bumblebee for Optimus cards and CUDA toolkit version 9 from Stretch backports. Everything runs fine, I successfully managed to run glxgears and a simple CUDA program "Hello world" on the Fermi GPU. The Linux kernel version running with Nvidia is 4.19 from backports. However after login I have to wait almost 4 minutes to see the full Helium desktop loaded and start my work. This does not occur when booting into old stable kernel 4.9 since I did not install Nvidia driver against that kernel but on 4.19.
Have you got any suggestions to solve this issue please? Actually my intention is to keep a partition for Helium/Stretch just for CUDA computing/development since my Nvidia card (GT540M) is no longer supported and this is the most up-to-date setup available.
Otherwise I would have to buy a new laptop or Nvidia Jetson Nano to run the latest CUDA 10 o 11.

#2 2019-08-21 13:54:46

damo
....moderator....

Re: Desktop loading takes too long with Nvidia

The first thing I would do is to see what is taking the time:

sudo journalctl -b

You can refine the output with other switches:

journalctl -h

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-08-22 05:42:05

ohnonot
...again
Website

damo wrote:

The first thing I would do is to see what is taking the time:

systemd-analyze
systemd-analyze blame
systemd-analyze critical-chain

#4 2019-08-22 06:29:55

jalfonsi

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them when I'm less busy. However, this morning I've tried to move the mouse cursor and pressing some key like Enter just after login and desktop has loaded quickly without hanging! It's very odd. Actually, after login I could see login wallpaper background and mouse (so X should be ok) but openbox and panels were not loading. However, now I know a small trick to quick up things. Isn't there a sleep function somewhere in BL code related to X configuration?

#5 2019-08-22 06:40:48

johnraff
nullglob
Website

If moving the mouse fixes it, it might possibly be a certain randomness-starvation issue. Try installing haveged.

sudo apt-get install haveged

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#6 2019-08-22 09:10:33

jalfonsi

Thanks John! Now it works like a charm!
Unfortunately running CUDA 9 applications with toolkit from backports on my GPU is not possible since I have to stick to CUDA 8 version from Stretch default repos (CUDA 9 requires compute capability greater than 3 whereas my GT540M is 2.1). CUDA 8 requires gcc-5 and does not recognize gcc-6 which is default in Stretch. So probably (hopefully) Helium can work with CUDA 8 and Clang 3.8 compiler.

Last edited by jalfonsi (2019-08-22 13:06:53)

#7 2019-08-23 06:24:52

jalfonsi

Hello, today I can be more precise. Finally I managed to run my simple CUDA example codes on Helium with Clang compiler 3.8 and CUDA 8 as provided by Debian Stretch.
Randomness-starvation does occur with kernel 4.19 (the latest available from backports) but not with Stretch default kernel 4.9.
So for Lithium which ships kernel 4.19 haveged could be helpful.

#8 2019-08-23 06:34:20

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Yes, haveged has already been added to the Lithium package list.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Board footer