You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-20 03:20:41

mrjcsh

Xen hypervisor -- OpenVSwitch/bridge-utils?

Hi, my username is mrjcsh. *listens for returned salutations*, I'm a deb'a'holic. I've messed around with debian varients for a few years now. None have my attention as strongly as bl. Imnsho(think, imho), best ui, ever. I am however, struggling with some norms that I'm used to having well within reach. Well, within reach after updating my package lists. One of them being, having bridge utils. I tried with another install from this one, installing xen, and must've added too much debian specific noise to sources.list and botched libc6. So, this time around I've relluctantly left sources.list in it's out of box state. No bridge-utils, not really sure about what i'm looking at in-regards to ovs. I would love to hear from your successes in installation of either(death match on which is better?[for fun, anyways]). Much love for the devs, i hope you get forked xD

#2 2019-07-20 08:38:17

damo
....moderator....

Re: Xen hypervisor -- OpenVSwitch/bridge-utils?

Any help here?... https://wiki.debian.org/Xen

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-07-20 09:33:03

twoion
ほやほや

You should not be needing bridge-utils anymore with up-to-date software. bridges can be created using `ip link`. See the section 'BRIDGE Type Support' in man ip-link. Interfaces can be assigned to bridges using `ip link set $device master $bridge`. See also https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … h_iproute2. Of course, some scripts may still depend on brctl. Needlessly to say, ovs is a lot more complicated than iproute2/bridge-utils but also more capable. I'd use simple Linux bridging if you don't have a use case that can only be covered using openvswitch. You should not have to install anything weird to be able to use standard Linux bridging. That being said, I'm not sure what your purpose and questions are.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#4 2019-07-20 12:45:37

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

@OP: there is almost an infinitude of the variations of networks setups with Xen and its VMs. (Acutally, it is true for any virtualization setup ...) It all depends what you are trying to accomplish.

I have single PC with xen debian dom0, and several (non-GUI) domUs, with www server, mysql 'server', cups server, git server ... every server on its own VM. dom0 is basically NAT router, and its configuration is done with iptables (in /etc/rc.local).

It is by no means the most modern solution. Also, I'm not expert in networking ... but this setup works for me few years now, and at this point I'm not really keen to change it. Perhaps, once when I will have more time available. And when services could be down for longer time. And then, I will switch to kvm instead of xen.

OpenVSwitch - it is probably a good solution for massive virtualization. In my case, I have 5-7 VMs, and I don't need anything more complicated than basic stuff.

Last edited by iMBeCil (2019-07-20 12:49:13)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#5 2019-07-20 17:20:05

mrjcsh

Thanks for your replies, gentlemen.

@damo: I have mirror'd that page once or tiwce. Wonderful documentation.

@twoion: I do have a use for openvswitch. I have plans to create cvd style virtual networks and hope to leverage it's capabilities using python scripts as apart of my curiosity and list of love to learn. Not so much related, though chit chat in general. I hope to make mikro-kernels for firewalls and routers(really would love to get off this NAT noise). I went to a cruddy college to learn network engineering, and absolutely adore linux. A lot of those skills are parishable, and I'm in need to maintain those skill sets.

@iMBeCil: I will absolutely be creating networks that will leave the interfaces file an unholy mess in my eyes.

@all: with all that said, I've been getting friendlier with apt-cache policy/depends. I understand that helium is tied to a later version of libc6 than the one shipped with raw debian. I'm curious to ask a few questions about your own strategies of working with a specific libc6. Like, do you pin your libc6 to the supported version in helium and iclude more of the debian library?
Do you go with deb-src instead?

#6 2019-07-20 18:01:07

damo
....moderator....

I understand that helium is tied to a later version of libc6 than the one shipped with raw debian.

BL is based on Debian Stable, so that is the version of libc6 that is used. Currently, Helium is Debian Stretch (which has just become old-stable, libc6 2.24-11+deb9u4), and Lithium will be based on the new stable/Buster (libc6 2.28-10).

It is strongly recommended that people DontBreakDebian by eg using a newer libc6, unless you really know what you are doing!

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#7 2019-07-20 18:35:53

DeepDayze

damo wrote:

I understand that helium is tied to a later version of libc6 than the one shipped with raw debian.

BL is based on Debian Stable, so that is the version of libc6 that is used. Currently, Helium is Debian Stretch (which has just become old-stable, libc6 2.24-11+deb9u4), and Lithium will be based on the new stable/Buster (libc6 2.28-10).

It is strongly recommended that people DontBreakDebian by eg using a newer libc6, unless you really know what you are doing!

Compiling an application statically with a new libc6 would be the better route if you need an app that requires a newer libc than what's in stable, if the application can't be compiled against the libc in Stable. This definitely would require some editing of makefiles and such.

Indeed trying to upgrade libc6 in stable WILL break just about everything.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2019-07-20 18:37:17)

Real Men Use Linux

#8 2019-07-21 22:11:41

mrjcsh

Thanks again for the replies. I suppose I missunderstood somethings somewhere.
This is what my source.list is looking like now, and I'll just rip into it and
see the fun begin big_smile.

## Debian security updates
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian stretch main non-free contrib
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main contrib non-free
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main contrib non-free

Board footer