You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-15 10:22:09

kha11

No volume icon in task bar

I have just downloaded and installed the latest version of hydrogen after formatting my root partition but not my separate home partition.

I have run apt-get update, apt-get upgrade.

If I go to youtube, a video plays as expected with sound. However, I cannot control the volume as there is no volume icon on the task bar.

What program gives me the volume icon as I would like to check it is installed.

#2 2019-06-15 10:52:33

twoion
ほやほや

Re: No volume icon in task bar

Are you definitely using Hydrogen over Helium? Why would you install an obsolete release?

What can you see / On the horizon?

#3 2019-06-15 12:01:51

MALsPa

Running BL Hydrogen (Deuterium) here. The volume icon shows up on my tint2 panel. It's volumeicon-alsa.

$ apt search volumeicon
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
volumeicon-alsa/oldstable,now 0.4.6-2.1 i386 [installed]
  systray volume icon for alsa

http://nullwise.com/volumeicon.html

#4 2019-06-17 20:15:50

kha11

Apologies, I got my versions mixed up. It is the latest version of bunsenlabs which is Helium.

#5 2019-06-18 04:56:15

ohnonot
...again
Website

OK.
Have you ever edited ~/.config/openbox/autostart?
Please paste its content here.

#6 2019-06-21 21:17:58

kha11

I fixed the problem by doing a fresh install on another machine. The volume icon is a program called pnmixer and it was installed. When I ran pnmixer, the volume icon appeared. I then edited .config/openbox/autostart as follows:

## Volume control for systray
I commented out this line   ##volumeicon &
I added this line           pnmixer &

Thank you everyone who tried to help.

It is a shame that helium seems unable to handle existing config files as it is displaying one or two other quirks. After installation, bl-welcome did not run on first log in, I had to run it manually. When I tried to install dropbox on the menu, it said dropbox was installed. Dropbox was not installed because I had wiped my root partition but it assumed it was because I had an existing dropbox folder and config file. The most curious quirk is vlc media player has no menu bar so I will open a new post if I cannot fix it.

#7 2019-06-21 22:01:07

damo
....moderator....

It is a shame that helium seems unable to handle existing config files as it is displaying one or two other quirks. After installation, bl-welcome did not run on first log in, I had to run it manually.

If you are re-using your existing $HOME configs then you can expect to have problems. bl-welcome creates a flag file after its first run (~/.config/bunsen/bl-welcome), so if you didn't remove it then BL will think it has already been run.

Configs evolve: you may also find that an older format for nitrogen's bg-saved.cfg doesn't work, as one example.

BL isn't designed like a fully-bloated desktop environment distro, so you must expect less hand-holding. It is an aspiration to have a good automatic upgrade path, but this needs much work before it can be implemented.

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#8 2019-06-21 23:32:09

johnraff
nullglob
Website

kha11 wrote:

Dropbox was not installed because I had wiped my root partition but it assumed it was because I had an existing dropbox folder and config file.

Dropbox is installed inside the user directory, not the root system, so if you had previously installed it via the BunsenLabs menu then it should still have been there. Even if you have an existing ~/Dropbox folder with files, the dropbox pipe menu should not report dropbox installed unless it finds the executable in ~/.dropbox-dist/ (a different directory, only for dropbox itself), in which case it should still be working.

From /usr/bin/bl-dropbox-pipemenu:

USERDBDIR="$HOME/.dropbox-dist/"

# (later)

dropbox_is_installed() {
    [[ -x "$USERDBDIR/dropboxd" ]] || return 1
    return 0
}

# (later)

# pipemenu stuff
    menuStart
    if ! dropbox_is_installed; then
        menuItem 'Install Dropbox' "$0 --install-dropbox"

Anyway, it should not be necessary to remove your existing ~/Dropbox folder.
First check if ~/bin/dropbox.py exists, and ~/bin is in your $PATH, and if so try running 'dropbox.py start' in a terminal.

If that fails, you can just rename ~/.dropbox-dist to ~/.dropbox-dist-disabled or something, optionally rename/remove the config directory ~/.dropbox too, and try the dropbox menu again. If you then succeed in reinstalling dropbox, you can remove the renamed directories.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#9 2019-06-23 10:03:47

kha11

Thank you for taking the time to explain the quirks I am having.

The problem with the menus in VLC Media Player was resolved here after a quick search.

I notice you have "Scripts, Tutorials and Tips" so I will post a list of these issues and the solutions there.

I like bunsenlabs, and previously crunchbang, so thank you for keeping it alive.

#10 2019-06-24 07:26:35

ohnonot
...again
Website

This is just an aside, but:

johnraff wrote:

it finds the executable in ~/.dropbox-dist/ (a different directory, only for dropbox itself)

I think one should always strive to use other directories for things like this, e.g. XDG_CONFIG_HOME (fallback ~/.local/share) or XDG_CONFIG_HOME (fallback ~/.config).
The situation is horrible enough as it is: I have 139 hidden directories in my $HOME, plus another 38 hidden files, because of so much software that hasn't learned to use XDG directories yet...

#11 2019-06-25 04:43:46

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Basically, ~/.dropbox-dist is where dropbox chooses to install its executable - it was no decision of mine. The pipemenu script just downloads the small cli interface dropbox.py and puts it in ~/bin. Dropbox.py has an install option, and handles downloading and installing dropbox itself.

Agreed XDG_CONFIG_HOME would be a better location for the ~/.dropbox config directory if it were up to me, but that's probably not a good place for executables anyway. Not sure about XDG_DATA_HOME either.

John
--------------------

#12 2019-06-25 06:50:21

ohnonot
...again
Website

johnraff wrote:

Agreed XDG_CONFIG_HOME would be a better location for the ~/.dropbox config directory if it were up to me, but that's probably not a good place for executables anyway. Not sure about XDG_DATA_HOME either.

surely ~/.dropbox-dist isn't a good location for executables?
There's still ~/.local/bin.

Also I think those XDG variables need to be defined as environment variables to be recognised by applications.
They aren't on my BL install.

#13 2019-06-25 09:30:28

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ohnonot wrote:
johnraff wrote:

surely ~/.dropbox-dist isn't a good location for executables?
There's still ~/.local/bin.

As I just said, it wasn't my choice. That's where dropbox installs itself. Messing with its default paths is asking for trouble IMO.

Also I think those XDG variables need to be defined as environment variables to be recognised by applications.
They aren't on my BL install.

XDG variables only need to be defined if they're different from the default values. Applications look in those default paths - that's the expected behaviour. Apps that don't respect that aspect of the spec can hardly be expected to follow the XDG* vars even if they are set. Setting them overtly at some place in the bootup sequence might make it harder for users to customize them. Many DEs leave the XDG variables unset. This topic comes up occasionally on forums and mailing lists, but what I just posted seems to be the consensus.

John
--------------------

#14 2019-06-25 18:42:58

ohnonot
...again
Website

OK, I was speaking on suspicion rather than knowledge of the (freedesktop is it?) actual specs.

Board footer