You are not logged in.

#51 2019-06-03 20:25:24

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

Re: jgmenu as default menu generator for Lithium?

@naik - I'm trying to stay out of the jgmenu discussions relating adoption or not. It's got to feel right to the devs and the community - I am completely happy either way. I'm happy to answer any technical questions though - of course.

#52 2019-06-04 07:32:23

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Naik wrote:

When something is about to change now, I don't know if it is to my likings. But as it looks for now the first glance experience will be quite the same and even the way things are configured won' t change that much, am i right?

Right. I prefer things not to change too much myself (usually hate major Firefox upgrades) and we (the dev team) are trying hard to keep the user experience pretty much the same using jgmenu as it is with the Openbox menu (except for some extra features).

The menu file syntax will change (check with @malm) though the CSV format is simpler, if anything, than the current openbox XML.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#53 2019-06-04 09:15:15

Naik

johnraff wrote:

Right. I prefer things not to change too much myself (usually hate major Firefox upgrades) and we (the dev team) are trying hard to keep the user experience pretty much the same using jgmenu as it is with the Openbox menu (except for some extra features).

The menu file syntax will change (check with @malm) though the CSV format is simpler, if anything, than the current openbox XML.

Ok, so I am satisfied and leave the rest to you guys. You did a great job on BL  so far and I will just wait and see...
Thanks!

naik --greetz

"Kaum macht [Mensch]* es richtig, funktioniert es sofort!"
BL-Kitchen on GitHub

#54 2019-06-06 05:17:15

ohnonot
...again
Website

@Naik: thanks for the clarifications; it seems we're on the same page there.

about wayland:

malm wrote:

Lubuntu have declared that they will be switching to Wayland by default for 20.10 and that they are going to do this by porting Openbox to use the Mir display server.

Very interesting!
I hope they do it in a way that it is usable on wayland as well (Mir is still a *buntu thing, no?).

PackRat wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

I believe OB will be ported to Wayland so we can still have OB goodness even then. smile

https://github.com/wizbright/waybox

the person who made that bold claim hasn't deigned to respond, so I suppose that's what they're refering to.
The commit history is not too impressive; but of course that could change when matters become more pressing in the future.

I haven't actually tested wayland yet.

I don't think the openbox devs are actually going to port openbox to Wayland.

i'm sure you're right there.
Dana Jansens made this comment on 3 Dec 2017:

I still use it daily and try to fix anything that breaks (like gnome integration a while ago) but haven't had the motive to make changes to it when it's working well enough.

...which doesn't actually mention wayland at all sad

Last edited by ohnonot (2019-06-06 05:17:52)

#55 2019-06-15 23:49:21

dhalgren

What is
@search,,1,3,150,20,2,left,top,auto,#000000 0,Search...
And why is it there?
It appears to do nothing but sit at the top of the menu saying "Search..."

Or is there something I need to install for it to do something?
Needless ot say, I have looked for informatin on this, but I seem not to be very good at finding the information I need.

Beyond this oddity, I am quite enjoying using jgmenu, although I have not yet made it default.

#56 2019-06-16 01:11:37

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

^ Search box widget.

From the Wiki -

Lesson 11 - Search

jgmenu has a search capability. When a menu is open, just start
typing to invoke a filter.

A search box can be inserted using widgets (see github wiki).

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#57 2019-06-16 01:31:27

dhalgren

Thnk you PackRat!

I did lok there, but as I said, I can be quite useless in finding information, and sometimes even read over it.  Also saves me having to add too much to the prepend.csv

Now that I know, it works beautifully!

#58 2019-06-16 02:32:39

hhh
Meep!
Website

Search-to-find is one of the main reasons we're trying to move away from the (frankly, in my opinion) outdated menu Openbox provides. Having a menu that is window-manager independent is another. All the other features just make the deal sweeter. big_smile

@malm, maybe a clearer label than just 'Search'? I'm not sure what, maybe no menu item at all and we instead explain that feature in our Release Notes?

#59 2019-06-16 04:19:33

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

All the other features...

Tucked away in the middle is an "Applications" sub-menu. That is auto-updated so when you install a new package it appears there without needing to edit the menu by hand. Some users might find that an improvement. cool

John
--------------------

#60 2019-06-16 06:21:41

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

@dhalgren

Interesting point.

Maybe we should make it look like an obvious search box.

I personally quite liked the unobrusive, in-keeping ‘Search...’

#61 2019-06-16 06:31:51

dhalgren

@Malm. No, I think that would be intrusive.

It would be easy to just put a note in the bl-welcome, for new users. For those who have been using BL since #!, I am sure it will be sorted out (even I would have found it eventually, I was mostly being lazy in asking). I also was tricked by the lack of a search box, but now much prefer it without.

Also, it would be easy to make a sticky post pointing out new and different features, even if there are only a few of these.

As for the prepend.csv, I was going to add some 12 programmes that I use a lot to it, but not having to do because of the ability to search, so is easy for everyone.

#62 2019-06-16 19:49:23

xarcher

I found the search feature of jgmenu by accident and liked how quickly it worked so I made a keybind for it in i3 instead of using dmenu. That way I can execute by typing or look through the menu when I can't remember the name of what I want. (This seems to be happening more frequently lately.)

#63 Yesterday 14:11:12

tynman

The "invisible" search feature in jgmenu is awesome - I use it now much more than the visible part of the menu. (And of course, the beauty of Openbox/BunsenLabs... I open 80% of my apps with a hot-key, no menu navigation required). But I was slow to catch on.

When I first encountered a similar menu search feature - I believe it was in Ubuntu/Gnome quite a few years ago before I discovered Crunchbang - I was horrified.. outraged ...  how could I possibly be expected to remember the names of all the applications?! smile

Crunchbang/BL has the ALT-F3 menu (dmenu?) which also has a search thing, but that didn't really catch on in my wee brain. Which probably explains why I took the time to define keyboard shortcuts in Openbox for all my "everyday" apps.

But then MS introduced a menu search in the the main menu in Windows 7 (which I use at my job). Very soon I got used to it and started using it all the time. I was very pleased to find it in jgmenu. And I would vote to keep it invisible.

#64 Today 02:52:06

johnraff
nullglob
Website

tynman wrote:

...  how could I possibly be expected to remember the names of all the applications?! smile

There is that, and it's the basic reason there's a place for GUIs along with terminals. Sometimes you don't know exactly what you want till you find it.

John
--------------------

#65 Today 04:51:09

ohnonot
...again
Website

johnraff wrote:

it's the basic reason there's a place for GUIs along with terminals. Sometimes you don't know exactly what you want till you find it.

I've been thinking about that quite often.
The cluttered Desktop.
I don't have that; and I wonder: do people really work like that?
I don't; the only exception being games:
I have this long list of FOSS games installed and only ever play one or two of them, but keep scrolling down that list hoping to find some hidden gem, swearing because the icons are too small.
I would need a separate game launcher.

In other words, in 99% of all cases I already know the name of the application and dmenu_run is enough to launch it.
But alas, there still is that 1% which is all the reason I require a dynamic app menu.

Board footer