You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-01 01:07:31

phil_in_la

Question about installing two copies of Bunsen Labs

I've had a busy last year or so. I bought a better little used netbook than the one I was using, then bought a second one after screwing up the keyboard and repair on the first one... then bought a larger hard drive. I installed a fresh copy of bunsen labs, but then I screwed it up by putting Debian/testing in the apt setup.

I think that's why I'm having problems with Network Manager and Chromium freezing and sometimes going away.

Anyway, this machine now has a big 1TB hard drive. It's set up with a gpt partition table and grub-efi-amd64-signed.

Anyway, I have my partitions set up thus:

/dev/sda1     /boot/efi      ~1.5 Gb.
/dev/sda2     /root  for Bunsenlabs         about 40 gb.
/dev/sda3     swap
/dev/sda4     /future, which I sort of use for my user data
              separate from /home, because I wanted to use
              this machine for multiple distributions, but with
              separate /home partitions.
/dev/sda5     /home for Bunsenlabs

I'm not sure this is the way I should have set it up. I would like to
set up a couple more OS's in the free space I have left, which is about 300 Gb. I'd like one of them to be a more orthodox install of Bunsenlabs Helium. I tried it earlier and it didn't work because that's what the first OS is named.

Is there a way to rename the current OS on here and will the /boot/efi partition I have be usable for both a second bunsenlabs helium installation and for other stuff I want to try (linux mint, archlabs, other distributions?)

Or am I going to have to start over from scratch?

#2 2019-06-01 02:44:19

damo
....moderator....

Re: Question about installing two copies of Bunsen Labs

^ Do you mean the name (label) of the partition? You can change it using GParted (Menu -> System)

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-06-01 04:10:19

phil_in_la

damo wrote:

^ Do you mean the name (label) of the partition? You can change it using GParted (Menu -> System)

No, I mean the name of the distribution as it appears in grub and in the /boot/efi directory.

Or maybe there's some other way of avoiding the collision of distribution names that I don't know yet.

#4 2019-06-01 04:16:37

hhh
Meep!
Website

phil_in_la wrote:

I tried it earlier and it didn't work because that's what the first OS is named.

That's not why it didn't work. If it had worked, you could the same ISO to as many partitions as were available, and in grub they'd show as something like (sorry, not going to reboot to see the exact entries)...

Bunsenlabs Linux
recovery blah blah
Bunsenlabs Linux on /dev/sda2
recovery blah blah

... etc...

We need more info. For example, which partition do you want as the primary one and where did you install grub to?

BTW, Gparted and parted are fairly robust, you can resize and move partitions with a good success rate (backup is recommended, though), so you can create additional partitions. But first things first, successful multi-boot.

Board footer