You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-15 21:37:37

redrobo66

Updating kernel without ethernet or wireless connection

Tried finding the answer to this and I'm stumped.

Installing Bunsenlabs on my late 2018 Intel NUC leaves me with no ethernet or wireless as the 4.9 kernel doesn't support the hardware. So I end up with a bootable machine locked off from the outside world.

I know how to update to the backported 4.18 kernel using synaptic with a working internet connection, but is it possible to install the kernel from a USB drive?

Anyone have any experience here.

Otherwise I need to wait until Bunsen Buster sad

#2 2019-01-15 22:12:53

damo
....moderator....

Re: Updating kernel without ethernet or wireless connection

Presumably you have a connection during the install process? If so it is probably a firmware issue, not the kernel.

AFAICS you can install a kernel downloaded from packages.debian.org using dpkg -i

Last edited by damo (2019-01-15 22:19:18)

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-01-15 22:33:06

redrobo66

No connection at all.

BL ISO has to be downloaded and burned to USB using a different machine.

Distros with a kernel of 4.15 or higher seem to work fine with everything working.

#4 2019-01-15 23:09:39

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Look at the apt-offline package if you need to do anything beyond grab the kernel package from backports I believe that's at 4.19.something, so should be compatible.. apt offline will even allow using a windows machine to grab any other needed packages and updates.  Though as @damo said you can probably simply download the kernel package onto any random usb stick & use dpkg to install it.

The debian package search system is very good, I'd give you a direct link, only I don't know 32/64 bit so you'll have to search the appropriate linix-image-??? package yourself.  If you grab the kernel from backports, run bl-welcome in a terminal & pick the option to enable backports, that way it'll be kept updated with security patches.

I've used apt-offline before fixing a laptop where I needed missing packages from non-free to enable networking. it's probably overkill for this, but it's sufficiently flexible to get everything you'd need onto a machine to not only install but recompile too. Or as it says.. simply keep an air-gapped machine updated.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2019-01-15 23:21:19)

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#5 2019-01-15 23:21:04

redrobo66

Really useful information both - much appreciated!

Rob

#6 2019-01-15 23:31:43

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

You're welcome, I don't run into this issue much myself anymore, I keep an old USB wireless dongle on hand that works with free firmware (only main enabled in sources.list), if you have a wireless dongle kicking round, might also be worth plugging in to see how your luck is.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2019-01-15 23:33:13)

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#7 2019-01-15 23:38:59

redrobo66

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

You're welcome, I don't run into this issue much myself anymore, I keep an old USB wireless dongle on hand that works with free firmware (only main enabled in sources.list), if you have a wireless dongle kicking round, might also be worth plugging in to see how your luck is.

Thanks for that BB.

I have tried a wireless dongle but it wouldn't connect, however I've just ordered a USB ethernet adaptor (very inexpensive) which is said to work with kernel 3.x or higher. Should be here on Thursday.

I'm determined to get Bunsen running on this machine!

It's working superbly on Kubuntu 18.10, and Archlabs works well too......but they just don't feel right smile

A temporary measure at the end of day since the next BL release will have all of this sorted for sure.

#8 2019-01-16 04:33:43

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@Redrobbo66

damo wrote:

Presumably you have a connection during the install process? If so it is probably a firmware issue, not the kernel.

You've checked this?

If not firmware, the Debian Installer also has a nasty habit of wiping wireless data off /etc/network/interfaces after install. This will bite if you've installed a cli-only system.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#9 2019-01-18 22:28:50

redrobo66

Installed using the USB ethernet adapter and was able to connect and update to the 4.18 kernel from backports - and all hardware working smile

Even better, out of curiosity I pointed the repos at debian testing and did a full distribution upgrade - and everything works other than the volume slider in the tint2 panel. Volume adjustment does however work in the pulse audio mixer. Bodes extremely well for the next version of Bunsenlabs!

Rob

Last edited by redrobo66 (2019-01-18 22:29:25)

#10 2019-06-01 00:47:29

stevep
MX Linux Developer

The backports kernel does need at least a couple of other packages besides just the linux-image deb, so if you can't get any connection at all, the Liquorix kernel (liquorix.net) will install from just one deb, and the developer also is now building Stretch versions, too, so I don't have to.  Most wi-fi will still need a non-free firmware deb from backports, and newer Intel hardware will also benefit from firmware-misc-nonfree (backports) and intel-microcode.

Board footer