You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-20 23:51:41

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

[On-Buster] System > Printers > Configure Printers fails

Reason is simple enough.. it calls gksudo, you'll need to tweak that for Lithium. the metapackage should probably have a depend, or at least a recommend, for whatever you use in place (probably policykit-1 & suitable auth agent) I suspect you'll migrate to pkexec.

The call is on line 63 of /usr/bin/bl-printing-pipemenu

Probably needs fixing for Helium too.. given the security issues with gksudo.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2019-01-21 04:50:44)

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#2 2019-01-21 04:45:55

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: [On-Buster] System > Printers > Configure Printers fails

It's already fixed in the lithium package. Install route will be published in a day ot two.
system-config-printer can just be called as a user- it invokes pkexec as needed.

But thanks!

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#3 2019-01-21 05:13:34

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

I called the printer config with sudo to get a printer set up.. actually pointed the pipemenu at lxqt-sudo instead of gksudo given it was on my sysvinit install with broken policykit-1-auth-agent, on a "proper" install it'd invoke pkexec no doubt, that's a whole other can of worms with sysvinit though unless I ditch the password reqirement with a policykit rule to just authorise printer config with no password.

I think the commit for elogind support in policykit-1 was version 113 buster & sid have 105, so I'd need 115 from experimental & even then I'd need to recompile with different configure arguments, it can be compiled for systemd, consolekit, or elogind session tracking with different libraries as build deps, according to upstream anyway.  Obviously Debian just compile for systemd, with elogind being too new, and consolekit having been pulled.

Anyhow, is gksudo installed in a fresh Helium install? If not, it'll be an issue there too.

If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#4 2019-01-21 07:44:27

johnraff
nullglob
Website

gksu is no longer in the Helium package list, but gdebi (stretch) pulls it in as a dependency, so the pipemenu still works. roll

But even in stretch it's not necessary to run s-c-p as root (check the .desktop file). In a normal stretch system that is. So a helium pipemenu upgrade is in order.

John
--------------------

#5 2019-01-21 08:20:48

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

If i was fretted, that could probably be fixed, the gdebi dep that is, a few approaches suggest themselves.. it's a shame it's a hard dep, but I'm sure it could be forced to use either policykit or lxqt-sudo instead, would mean some tweaks, it'd be something a user would have to do themselves I think.

In buster the dep gets switched to policykit-1 which is also less than ideal, given they nether depend nor recommend a gui auth-agent so you'd get no password dialogue though it'd work from a terminal using the tty agent.. but if you're going to use a terminal.. you'd stick with gdebi-core, which depends on neither. Almost worth filing a bug. having first purposely set up a VM with policykit but no gui agent. and whine that I don't get a pwd pop-up they should at least recommend one.  I can't be bothered though, I guess it got missed by the gdebi maintainers, and nobody is shouting, 'cause something else almost certainly pulled policykit-1-gnome or an equivalent in.

#6 2019-01-21 10:22:35

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

As for the printer configuration ... Almost all distros use CUPS, one way or another. This means that one can configure printers (and much more) via 'web page' http(s)://localhost:631/ and, from experience, I find it much easier, and less error prone, and had less bugs compared to separate application. (And I'm speaking from personal experience, as I recently set up printing system with several network printers, for around 100 people.)

I would argue that the separate printer config application is used simply because people are used to it (usually from MSWin), i.e. used to 'ah, give me an application for printer config'. Instead, it is much easier to use existing CUPS interface via web browser. Admittedly, one has to change his mindset, and possibly adjust the configuration (for example, add his username to the lpadmin group).

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#7 2019-01-21 13:25:28

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

One can indeed use a webpage, only it takes way longer to load up FF than that little config app, and then when I do it's confusing.
Not to mention having to google what the hell port it's on every time, being too old to remember.... & waste longer than even fixing the pipe-menu took.

I've set printers up both ways, prefer the config app, and the point was to report a busted pipe-menu.. the thing itself works fine once the menu is un-busted.  Which is also easy, but I wouldn't have liked to see that glitch slip into Lithium, it'd look unprofessional.

#8 2019-01-22 03:18:46

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Tend to agree with B_B on this one. Not every GUI config app is all that great, but in this particular case, system-config-printer has worked for me since Xubuntu years ago and set up my printers with a minimum of effort, and relatively few bugs. But the CUPS web interface is good to know about too.

John
--------------------

#9 2019-01-22 09:09:38

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

Same as @johnraff in the previous post above here.

Keep BunsenLabs #!yish please.

#10 2019-01-25 22:57:12

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

johnraff wrote:

gksu is no longer in the Helium package list, but gdebi (stretch) pulls it in as a dependency, so the pipemenu still works. roll

If you have a genuine concern over having gksu installed / used in Helium (stretch), it seems to me you could backport gdebi-gtk (It'd probably be fine without even backporting)  the buster version which depends on policykit instead of gksu & dump it in the bunsen helium repo, being a greater version number people would get upgraded, maybe put a warning up in postinst to remove gksu if nothing else uses it.. given the version is pretty near unchanged other than using policykit a nmu just to pull that switch, and bunsen has policykit  installed already for network-manager, gparted && other... it'd be a simple backport to dump in the bunsen repos... you probably couldn't (Debian policy, if you care that much) actually sed through the user's menu to replace gksu with pkexec.. but you *could* post advice to do so or edit manually in postinst. Given the CVE & it's implications, if nothing else uses it, removing gksu/gksudo is sound advice.  OK anyone ignoring the warning might still use gksudo because the menu calls it (does it? or is the call from hitting the "install" button in gdebi-gtk? Plain gdebi-core the command-line version has no such depend, but once warned it's their own lookout.

Hell something similar may even work for Hydrogen... till it falls out of LTS, I haven't looked, even though I have systems still on Helium. (I don't use gdebi-gtk & rarely use gdebi (gdebi-core the command-line version).

Anyhow, not pushing, just something you might think about.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2019-01-25 22:59:33)

#11 2019-01-26 08:33:20

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

If you have a genuine concern over having gksu installed / used in Helium (stretch)...

Well, actually not all that much to be honest. It's there in the Stretch repos (not Buster though) and some package will be bound to pull it in eventually. Anyway, we'll be in the clear for Lithium.

I do care about Debian Policy btw, and I think the other devs do too. Although "bunsenlabs-desktop" as a standard Debian package + all the BL packages, might be a long way off we like to dream of it, so try to keep everything as Debian-consistent as we can.

John
--------------------

#12 2019-01-26 11:21:11

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Well that's entirely fair smile and it's actually good to know where Bunsen stand with regard to Debian policy.
A "bunsenlabs-desktop" package (metapackage) would save some effort on a netinstall, you'd just add the repo & pull it in, job done.

From there to in Debian itself is of course a whole other stage.

#13 2019-05-26 17:04:13

DeepDayze

HP has a good printer management gui for their printers and I find it very usable.

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer